Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Beeping can't find the reason

Mom in a grocery store, with her little girl in the shopping
basket seat. At the cash registers, in line. A very well
dressed woman ahead of them in line. The well dressed lady's
pager went off.

"Look out, Mom! It's backing up!"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Are you over-weight? Maybe this happens when you back-up?!
;-)

Um-back bro, um-back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about a live cricket?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2011 7:05 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
On Jan 24, 8:00 pm, Kurt wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke

Are you over-weight? Maybe this happens when you back-up?! ;-)

Excellent reply!

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Red Green" wrote in message

Are you over-weight? Maybe this happens when you back-up?!
;-)

Um-back bro, um-back.

Don't try to steal my material!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon Danniken wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I
have ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And
even some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds
to me like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it
might be. Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the
long time frame between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

You can't sit still for two minutes?

Maybe he's an engineer; the don't idle well. If engineers look a little
blury, that's because they're vibrating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 11:22*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I
have ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And
even some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds
to me like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it
might be. Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the
long time frame between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

You can't sit still for two minutes?

Maybe he's an engineer; the don't idle well. If engineers look a little
blury, that's because they're vibrating.

Are you saying they're dildos?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jan 25, 12:22*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I
have ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And
even some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds
to me like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it
might be. Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the
long time frame between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

You can't sit still for two minutes?

Maybe he's an engineer; the don't idle well. If engineers look a little
blury, that's because they're vibrating.

You say "vibrating," I say "high-RPM camshaft."

Oh, since you're up, can you get me some more coffee please?

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...

I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

It could be the microchip device the Obama administration secretly
implanted. Report to the local ACORN office immediately to have the battery
replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 21:00:27 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I have
ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And even
some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds to me
like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might be.
Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time frame
between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

Is the sound coming from next door? (vacant house/apartment)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 24, 10:10*pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
I know someone who has a bad habit of interrupting the microwave by opening
the door and NEVER completing the cycle (just press the cancel button). Some
microwaves beep when this happens.

Hmmm... On our microwave, if you let it finish, it will beep every few
minutes to remind you there's something in there until you open the
door... Of course, in this case, it's the same sound it normally makes
when it finishes, which is pretty obvious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2011 6:15 PM, Larry Fishel wrote:
On Jan 24, 10:10 pm, Mark wrote:
I know someone who has a bad habit of interrupting the microwave by opening
the door and NEVER completing the cycle (just press the cancel button). Some
microwaves beep when this happens.

Hmmm... On our microwave, if you let it finish, it will beep every few
minutes to remind you there's something in there until you open the
door... Of course, in this case, it's the same sound it normally makes
when it finishes, which is pretty obvious.

Mine gives up after awhile. Figures I died or something.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
DGDevin wrote:
...snipped...

It could be the microchip device the Obama administration secretly
implanted. Report to the local ACORN office immediately to have the battery
replaced.

I believe you're mistaken, those were deployed during the GW Bush years
along with the comprehensive domestic wiretaps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Jan 2011 04:31:17 GMT, RobertPatrick wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote in
om:

I have something that is beeping at me exactly every two minutes. I
have ruled out the usual suspects of smoke alarms, the microwave. And
even some stranger ones like my cell phones, oven timers, etc. Sounds
to me like a battery is going dead, but can't figure out what it might
be. Having trouble tracking down where it is because of the long time
frame between beeps. Any suggestions of things to look for?

When you hear the beep go to the room where it sounds like it's coming
from. Wait for another beep and so forth and keep moving closer and
closer until you locate it. Maybe it's a camera tucked away in a drawer.

BTW, if it's beeping every 2 minutes, that's not a long time frame between
beeps.

Awhile back I had problems with beeping in this case it was traced
back to the smoke detector and was happening more and more
frequently. I tried changing the battery no luck. Then when all else
failed I got the detector's specs and found something I never knew in
the many years and multiple houses I have had with smoke detectors. It
seems that manufacturer calls for you to vaccum the detector every
year or so. The reason being that dust will sometimes accumulate on
the ion sensor in the detector and it thinks there is smoke. I
vaccumed the detector and problem cured. Hey they had been installed
for 8 years. I vaccumed them all.
email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
TIA
Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 10:17*pm, Hank wrote:
[...]

Hank- Hide quoted text -

Turn MAIN BREAKER OFF, does the beeping stop?

I had FIOS just a few months and came home to beep alarm every 5
minutes.

What a PIA, Verizon wanted to charge me 50 bucks for a replacement
battery on a new install only months old.Claimed there was no
warranty.

My box beeped for 2 weeks till the replacement finally arrived...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hank wrote:

Awhile back I had problems with beeping in this case it was traced
back to the smoke detector and was happening more and more
frequently. I tried changing the battery no luck. Then when all else
failed I got the detector's specs and found something I never knew in
the many years and multiple houses I have had with smoke detectors. It
seems that manufacturer calls for you to vaccum the detector every
year or so. The reason being that dust will sometimes accumulate on
the ion sensor in the detector and it thinks there is smoke. I
vaccumed the detector and problem cured. Hey they had been installed
for 8 years. I vaccumed them all.
email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end

Same with computers. After you hoover the innards, turn the hose around an
blow.

You'd think the goddamn computer just elected a new Pope!

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about TSA to change the battery in his Rectoplant? Big
Brother is watching.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DGDevin" wrote in message

It could be the microchip device the Obama administration
secretly
implanted. Report to the local ACORN office immediately to
have the battery
replaced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. Best laugh I've had in days.
(We're all going to die!!!!!)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"FlavorFlav" wrote in message
b.com...
It's Sputnik!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Jan 2011 22:23:31 GMT, FlavorFlav
wrote:

It's Sputnik!

Of course it is. Less NASA funding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On 26 Jan 2011 22:23:31 GMT,
wrote:

It's Sputnik!

Of course it is. Less NASA funding.

Hi,
No computer around?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

[snip]

Get a stopwatch or even better, an automatic resetting digital timer. Set
*it* to beep a second or two *before* the problem device beeps.

That'd work if EVERY beeping device followed that 2-minute rule.

[snip]

Bobby G.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"The beginning of wisdom is found in doubting; by doubting we come to
the question, and by seeking we may come upon the truth." -- Pierre
Abelard
Posted to alt.home.repair

FlavorFlav wrote:
It's Sputnik!

You've been watching too many Obama speeches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
om...
Robert Green wrote:

[snip]

Get a stopwatch or even better, an automatic resetting digital timer.

Set
*it* to beep a second or two *before* the problem device beeps.

That'd work if EVERY beeping device followed that 2-minute rule.

Sigh I thought what I was describing was obvious, but it's clear I needed
to be more specific. You have to time YOUR device first, and not assume they
all beep at 2 minutes which is what I think you thought I was saying.
That's why I suggested a stop watch. They are used to time things. I
assumed people would realize they had to measure the time between the two
beeps on their *own* device, and not some guy on the net looking for an
as-yet unknown device. You can never be too specific for Usenet, I guess.

Most of the devices I've had to hunt for were *remarkably* punctual. Can
you name some devices that are random to the point of not being able to take
one "time test" and then use it to predict the next occurrence of a low
battery beep? That's NEVER been the case for me. In fact, most are either
30 secs or 1 minute.

Most of these timers depend on an RC circuit charging/discharging. While
that sort of timing drifts too much over time to make a reliable clock, the
30 to 120 sec intervals involved with smoke alarms and low battery alerts
have been quite repeatable and predictable, at least as far as my locating
them is concerned.

But I imagine there could be some exceptions and if you've run across some,
I'd like to know about them because they would certainly be the odd stand
outs and not what you would expect.

Next time you have a low-battery situation where something's beeping, take
out your stop watch and measure the time it takes between two beeps. I'm
pretty sure you'll find that the cycle is repeatable enough for the unit to
beep within a second or two of its previous chiming (unless the room
temperature is changing at something like 10 degrees a minute). Being able
to anticipate the next beep precisely makes locating the errant unit far
easier than standing around simply waiting for it. Try it. You'll see.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FWIW, it must have been a low battery because after about three days,
it has stopped completely. Either that or my wife was right and the guy
we are renting the condo from got in while we were out and changed the
battery on the webcam in our bedroom (grin).

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

sigh............

Like others here, I guess I didn't make myself clear, so I will try one more
time .............

Take ten minutes ....................

Listen for the beep .................

go closer ......................

wait for it to beep again ........................

go closer ..........................

wait for it to beep again ......................

if you haven't found it, go closer ............................

[...]

HTH, but I doubt it.

Steve

wait for it to beep again ...............

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

[snip]

Next time you have a low-battery situation where something's beeping, take
out your stop watch and measure the time it takes between two beeps. I'm
pretty sure you'll find that the cycle is repeatable enough for the unit
to beep within a second or two of its previous chiming (unless the room
temperature is changing at something like 10 degrees a minute). Being
able to anticipate the next beep precisely makes locating the errant unit
far
easier than standing around simply waiting for it. Try it. You'll see.

--
Bobby G.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that next time something starts beeping.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"To know that the Bible is the literature of a barbarous people, to know
that it is uninspired, to be certain that the supernatural does not and
cannot exist -- all this is but the beginning of wisdom."
-- R.G.
Ingersoll

Consumer unit trips without reason that I can find [email protected] UK diy 25 February 27th 08 12:28 PM
Beeping Bosch Skipweasel UK diy 14 November 15th 07 09:11 PM
Beeping from attic Chris Home Repair 15 October 27th 07 04:45 AM
GE Gas range keeps beeping yaofeng Home Repair 0 August 16th 06 04:03 PM
Beeping from attic Chris Home Ownership 6 July 25th 06 10:37 PM