Old January 21st 11, 04:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing offset closet flange

Never installed an offset one.

Need to move a toilet away from the wall 1.5-2"" to meet the 12" spec from
finished wall. Waste is 3" PVC to basement. Best I can think of is to use
an offset flange which will give me what I need.

Question is in cutting the hole in the subfloor. Subfloor has been replaced
with new. With std closet flange it's just a matter if locating proper
place and cut round hole to meet 3" soil pipe. Because of the offset it
seems the hole has to be cut oblong so it can be inserted then sit flush
(no pun intended). Is my figuring on track?

Old January 21st 11, 03:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Red Green" wrote in message
Never installed an offset one.

Need to move a toilet away from the wall 1.5-2"" to meet the 12" spec from
finished wall. Waste is 3" PVC to basement. Best I can think of is to use
an offset flange which will give me what I need.

Question is in cutting the hole in the subfloor. Subfloor has been
replaced
with new. With std closet flange it's just a matter if locating proper
place and cut round hole to meet 3" soil pipe. Because of the offset it
seems the hole has to be cut oblong so it can be inserted then sit flush
(no pun intended). Is my figuring on track?

Yes. Caution when installing screws to anchor the flange to the floor, one
may end up over the offset portion and have no flooring to grip. If it is
too long it may penetrate the edge of the fitting causing a crack or leak.

Old January 21st 11, 06:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 20, 10:40*pm, Red Green wrote:
Never installed an offset one.

Need to move a toilet away from the wall 1.5-2"" to meet the 12" spec from
finished wall. Waste is 3" PVC to basement. Best I can think of is to use
an offset flange which will give me what I need.

Question is in cutting the hole in the subfloor. Subfloor has been replaced
with new. With std closet flange it's just a matter if locating proper
place and cut round hole to meet 3" soil pipe. Because of the offset it
seems the hole has to be cut oblong so it can be inserted then sit flush
(no pun intended). Is my figuring on track?

Wouldn't a 10" offset toilet work better?

Joe
Old January 21st 11, 08:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
Never installed an offset one.

Need to move a toilet away from the wall 1.5-2"" to meet the 12" spec from
finished wall. Waste is 3" PVC to basement. Best I can think of is to use
an offset flange which will give me what I need.

Question is in cutting the hole in the subfloor. Subfloor has been
replaced
with new. With std closet flange it's just a matter if locating proper
place and cut round hole to meet 3" soil pipe. Because of the offset it
seems the hole has to be cut oblong so it can be inserted then sit flush
(no pun intended). Is my figuring on track?

If you have a newly installed subfloor, why battle with an offset?
I would (if I had access to the underfloor) remove enough of a section of
drain pipe to patch in two couplers and a bit of pipe to extend the
distance. That way you can use a standard flange.
If you still have concerns about the old hole, shore up the underside of the
floor with a piece of 3/4 inch plywood. That'll give your flange something
to grab onto and strengthen the area.

Old January 21st 11, 11:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in
anews.com:

"Red Green" wrote in message
Never installed an offset one.

Need to move a toilet away from the wall 1.5-2"" to meet the 12" spec
from finished wall. Waste is 3" PVC to basement. Best I can think of
is to use an offset flange which will give me what I need.

Question is in cutting the hole in the subfloor. Subfloor has been
replaced
with new. With std closet flange it's just a matter if locating
proper place and cut round hole to meet 3" soil pipe. Because of the
offset it seems the hole has to be cut oblong so it can be inserted
then sit flush (no pun intended). Is my figuring on track?

Yes. Caution when installing screws to anchor the flange to the floor,
one may end up over the offset portion and have no flooring to grip.
If it is too long it may penetrate the edge of the fitting causing a
crack or leak.

Got subfloor hole cut and all is 12" plus a tad. I did cut an oblong.
Used field measurements plus a test piece I fitted the flange into as a
hole template.

If it is too long it may penetrate the edge of the fitting causing a
crack or leak.

THAT I had not thought of. Glad I posted the Q. Thanks.

Old January 21st 11, 11:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote in
:

On Jan 20, 10:40*pm, Red Green wrote:
Never installed an offset one.

Need to move a toilet away from the wall 1.5-2"" to meet the 12" spec
fro

finished wall. Waste is 3" PVC to basement. Best I can think of is to
use an offset flange which will give me what I need.

Question is in cutting the hole in the subfloor. Subfloor has been
replac

ed
with new. With std closet flange it's just a matter if locating
proper place and cut round hole to meet 3" soil pipe. Because of the
offset it seems the hole has to be cut oblong so it can be inserted
then sit flush (no pun intended). Is my figuring on track?

Wouldn't a 10" offset toilet work better?

Joe

Toilet is not my choice. Person said they had looked at a 10" but it was
considerably more expensive. The other thing is there is a floor joist
right at the old flange. The joist was cut into vertically to install the
previous metal (soft metal like lead or something) flange/pipe. The flange
had to move over a tad as well to account for the wider PVC outside necks.

Thanks for replying.
Old January 22nd 11, 01:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Iowna Uass" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply. Really didn't wanna go hacking at the pipe below
too much. Half of the DWV and copper is not even strapped in the
basement. My favorite plumbing line is if you move it it's gonna leak.