Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Offset Toilet Flange Extender

I need to move a toilet back about a half inch. It is mounted on a
cast iron flange and pipe. I could remove the current flange and
replace it with an offset flange but this is a very old home and I'm
sure that it would be a major effort to remove the current flange.
There is an adapter ring on top of the flange to bring it level with
the tile floor.

There are a lot of places on the Web that sell straight adapters that
fit on top of flanges; does anyone know where I could get an offset
adapter which would both lift the surface and move it back an inch or
so? I've googled on dozens of combinations but found nothing.

Thanks,

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message
I need to move a toilet back about a half inch. It is mounted on a
cast iron flange and pipe. I could remove the current flange and
replace it with an offset flange but this is a very old home and I'm
sure that it would be a major effort to remove the current flange.
There is an adapter ring on top of the flange to bring it level with
the tile floor.

There are a lot of places on the Web that sell straight adapters that
fit on top of flanges; does anyone know where I could get an offset
adapter which would both lift the surface and move it back an inch or
so? I've googled on dozens of combinations but found nothing.

I'd leave it alone. Touching plumbing in an old house can cause a LOT of
unanticipated work. I cannot imagine why a toilet would have to be moved
back such a small amount.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:

I need to move a toilet back about a half inch.

You gotta tell us . . 'why'? The only possible reason I can think
of that someone would want to do that is because the little woman
picked out a new toilet with a wider profile and now a door won't
open.

I'd replace the toilet before trying to move old cast iron. But
if that isn't possible, I'd probably find a likely place to break the
drain in the basement and just replace it with PVC.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 06:26:37 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

I need to move a toilet back about a half inch.

I'm just guessing he has a half inch too *little* space behind the
toilet, but that's just me.

Yes, it is just you. Re-read above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 29, 12:02*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:
I need to move a toilet back about a half inch.

You gotta tell us . . 'why'? * * The only possible reason I can think
of that someone would want to do that is because the little woman
picked out a new toilet with a wider profile and now a door won't
open.

I'd replace the toilet before trying to move old cast iron. * * * But
if that isn't possible, I'd probably find a likely place to break the
drain in the basement and just replace it with PVC.

Jim

Right, the new toilet is just a little bit too long to clear the door.
If I can't find an adapter, I'll just angle it a bit and claim that's
the latest stlye.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I need to move a toilet back about a half inch.

You gotta tell us . . 'why'? The only possible reason I can think
of that someone would want to do that is because the little woman
picked out a new toilet with a wider profile and now a door won't
open.

I'd replace the toilet before trying to move old cast iron. But
if that isn't possible, I'd probably find a likely place to break the
drain in the basement and just replace it with PVC.

Jim

Right, the new toilet is just a little bit too long to clear the door.
If I can't find an adapter, I'll just angle it a bit and claim that's
the latest stlye.

Paul

If it's truly just a half inch that's needed, you should be able to
cheat it back that much. after you set it in the wax, just shove it back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message
Right, the new toilet is just a little bit too long to clear the door.
If I can't find an adapter, I'll just angle it a bit and claim that's
the latest stlye.

*************************************

Notch the door

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Pavel314" wrote in message
Right, the new toilet is just a little bit too long to clear the door.
If I can't find an adapter, I'll just angle it a bit and claim that's
the latest stlye.

*************************************

Notch the door

I heard that was THE latest style ;-)

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I need to move a toilet back about a half inch.

You gotta tell us . . 'why'? * * The only possible reason I can think
of that someone would want to do that is because the little woman
picked out a new toilet with a wider profile and now a door won't
open.

I'd replace the toilet before trying to move old cast iron. * * * But
if that isn't possible, I'd probably find a likely place to break the
drain in the basement and just replace it with PVC.

Jim

Right, the new toilet is just a little bit too long to clear the door.
If I can't find an adapter, I'll just angle it a bit and claim that's
the latest stlye.

Paul

Take it back and get a "shallower" one. There is a pretty broad size
range.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I need to move a toilet back about a half inch.

I'm just guessing he has a half inch too *little* space behind the
toilet, but that's just me.

Yes, it is just you. Re-read above.

Hey, you're right. That does seem ridiculous.

Maybe the county is widening the road through the bathroom in front of
the toilet.

Toilet offset dbljay7542 Home Repair 12 September 24th 08 11:20 AM
toilet flange stonecreek Home Repair 4 June 25th 08 09:29 PM
Offset Toilet Floor Flange - Slab Go Bucks! Home Repair 6 December 4th 07 02:28 PM
toilet flange Tony Pacc Home Repair 2 December 30th 06 03:46 PM
Offset flange on an iron pipe? Christopher Riley Home Repair 3 December 8th 06 08:48 PM