Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing toilet closet flange

Took the old toilet off and found the closet bolt holts for the
plastic flange are broken. It appears there are no bolts holding the
flange to the PVC piping. It may glued in.

Looked at a repair ring from Ace but it's too big and the holes don't
line up.

What's the best way to resolve this? Any way to repair the ring? Or
how do I get it off the piping under the floor. (Floor is concrete)

Thanks all
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30, 1:56*pm, bpuharic wrote:
Took the old toilet off and found the closet bolt holts for the
plastic flange are broken. *It appears there are no bolts holding the
flange to the PVC piping. *It may glued in. *

Looked at a repair ring from Ace but it's too big and the holes don't
line up. *

What's the best way to resolve this? Any way to repair the ring? Or
how do I get it off the piping under the floor. (Floor is concrete)

Thanks all

When you say the holes are broken, what do you mean?

Typically there are slots as opposed to holes. Are they broken at the
exact spot where the bolt heads would grab?

Is there nothing left to the hold the johnny bolts in place?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:05:29 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 30, 1:56*pm, bpuharic wrote:
Took the old toilet off and found the closet bolt holts for the
plastic flange are broken. *It appears there are no bolts holding the
flange to the PVC piping. *It may glued in. *

Looked at a repair ring from Ace but it's too big and the holes don't
line up. *

What's the best way to resolve this? Any way to repair the ring? Or
how do I get it off the piping under the floor. (Floor is concrete)

Thanks all

When you say the holes are broken, what do you mean?

Typically there are slots as opposed to holes. Are they broken at the
exact spot where the bolt heads would grab?

yeah it's the closet bolt slots.

Is there nothing left to the hold the johnny bolts in place?

the flange itself looks to be in good shape except for the broken
closet bolt slots. it's a 'normal' closet flange, glued to the
outside of the pipe. getting down there is not an option since it's
in the basement concrete floor, so whatever i do has to be done above
the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bpuharic wrote:
Took the old toilet off and found the closet bolt holts for the
plastic flange are broken. It appears there are no bolts holding the
flange to the PVC piping. It may glued in.

Looked at a repair ring from Ace but it's too big and the holes don't
line up.

What's the best way to resolve this? Any way to repair the ring? Or
how do I get it off the piping under the floor. (Floor is concrete)

Just thinking out loud here. Don't take it out. Instead:
1. Get another flange.
2. Saw off the part that attaches to the pipe.
3. Line it up over the damaged flange and glue it in place.
4. Drill several holes in the pair of flanges - bolt them together.

There should be enough slack and space in the area to accommodate this
jury-rigging.

Let us know how it turns out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

the floor.- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps you can cut your old one off/out and use a replacement twist-
flange:

http://www.nextag.com/twist-n-set-flange/compare-html

Click any of the 3 right-hand pictures here and see if one those will
work. The semi-circle one that appears to go under the existing flange
seems like it might work for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Thanks all

Don't ask me how or why but I saw something at HomeDepot that might save
your bacon on this project.

I am including a link that may not work for you :
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

If that does not work go to the website and type closet flange repair into
the search box.

I have used the full round one before but have never used the arc.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

" Took the old toilet off and found the closet bolt holts for the
plastic flange are broken. It appears there are no bolts holding the
flange to the PVC piping. It may glued in.

Looked at a repair ring from Ace but it's too big and the holes don't
line up.

What's the best way to resolve this? Any way to repair the ring? Or
how do I get it off the piping under the floor. (Floor is concrete)

*I once bought a metal repair flange that had eye holes extended past the
flange diameter. It gets screwed to the floor using the eye holes and the
slots are clear for the bolts. I think I bought it at The Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:26:16 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Dec 30, 3:58*pm, bpuharic wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:05:29 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

yeah it's the closet bolt slots. *

Is there nothing left to the hold the johnny bolts in place?

the flange itself looks to be in good shape except for the broken
closet bolt slots. *it's a 'normal' closet flange, glued to the
outside of the pipe. *getting down there is not an option since it's
in the basement concrete floor, so whatever i do has to be done above
the floor.- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps you can cut your old one off/out and use a replacement twist-
flange:

http://www.nextag.com/twist-n-set-flange/compare-html

Click any of the 3 right-hand pictures here and see if one those will
work. The semi-circle one that appears to go under the existing flange
seems like it might work for you.

these look good...wonder if there's a tool to cut a flange away freom
the inside of the pipe...

thanks much!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 15:13:24 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

bpuharic wrote:
Took the old toilet off and found the closet bolt holts for the
plastic flange are broken. It appears there are no bolts holding the
flange to the PVC piping. It may glued in.

Looked at a repair ring from Ace but it's too big and the holes don't
line up.

What's the best way to resolve this? Any way to repair the ring? Or
how do I get it off the piping under the floor. (Floor is concrete)

Just thinking out loud here. Don't take it out. Instead:
1. Get another flange.
2. Saw off the part that attaches to the pipe.
3. Line it up over the damaged flange and glue it in place.
4. Drill several holes in the pair of flanges - bolt them together.

There should be enough slack and space in the area to accommodate this
jury-rigging.

Let us know how it turns out.

that may work but just wonder if it's stable enough for the toilet to
sit on it...have to be awesome glue!

thanks for the idea...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 17:50:04 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

Don't ask me how or why but I saw something at HomeDepot that might save
your bacon on this project.

I am including a link that may not work for you :
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

If that does not work go to the website and type closet flange repair into
the search box.

I have used the full round one before but have never used the arc.

Colbyt

yes, i saw thse at the local ace hardware....the ring may work but
it'll make the toilet sit higher...might have to shim it up, but this
may be the best solution since the floor is concrete and cant be cut
open...

good idea!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I don't know how smooth a surface you would need if you were going to
use the twist in insert. If it doesn't have to be perfect because the
rubber "boot" will seal it, then grinding the old flange away with a
Dremel (and a vacuum) might work.

thanks much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bpuharic" wrote in message

Took the old toilet off and found the closet bolt holts for the
plastic flange are broken. It appears there are no bolts holding the
flange to the PVC piping. It may glued in.

Looked at a repair ring from Ace but it's too big and the holes don't
line up.

What's the best way to resolve this? Any way to repair the ring? Or
how do I get it off the piping under the floor. (Floor is concrete)

Thanks all

----------------

I had the same problem as you this summer. My toilet drain is black abs
(4"). Some people may have cast and the diameters might be a bit different
so get the right flange.

I bought a product similar to this:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I simply seat the new flange in the old then I put a tapcon drill thru the
back ring hole to sturdy it to the concrete floor then mounted the toilet to
the good flange with regular toilet bolts.

In my case it raised the new toilet base up a bit so I used a sponge seal
ring instead of a wax seal and I bought plastic shims to level the toilet.
Sturdy as hell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

bpuharic wrote:
[...]

No, no! It's the BOLTS that hold the contraption together. The glue is just
suspenders to go with the belt (and hold the mess together while you drill
the bolt holes).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bpuharic" wrote in message

these look good...wonder if there's a tool to cut a flange away freom
the inside of the pipe...

Assuming that what you have now is PVC, do a Google search for "inside pipe
cutter" or "internal pipe cutter".

Here's one from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

It's very easy. Just connect it to a drill and it cuts the pipe from the
inside.

If it is cast iron pipe, use an angle grinder.

For YouTube videos on how to repair a toilet flange, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...et+flange&aq=f

Or, buy a toilet flange ring like this one:

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Toilet-...l-pN7NTBP.aspx

It opens up and clips onto the exiting flange.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 19:57:39 -0500, "RogerT"
wrote:

"bpuharic" wrote in message
.. .

these look good...wonder if there's a tool to cut a flange away freom
the inside of the pipe...

Assuming that what you have now is PVC, do a Google search for "inside pipe
cutter" or "internal pipe cutter".

Here's one from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

not bad! and only $10...

It's very easy. Just connect it to a drill and it cuts the pipe from the
inside.

If it is cast iron pipe, use an angle grinder.

For YouTube videos on how to repair a toilet flange, go to:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...et+flange&aq=f

Or, buy a toilet flange ring like this one:

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Toilet-...l-pN7NTBP.aspx

It opens up and clips onto the exiting flange.

Good luck.

thanks much! appreciate it...happy new year