Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to install closet flange? Existing had nails (rusted out)

I had a loose toliet, I thought the bolts were bad....

I have a PVC type closet flange that was simply nailed to the
subfloor.
The nails rusted and there is nothing holding the flange to the floor.

So I poped the flange up, and the flange was never really installed to
the drain pipe.

The flange has a rubber ring which looked like it would engage the
plumbing.

The brand of this system is Canplas Industries.
I am trying to find a photo online...

But maybe this is a standard type system?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 28, 7:14*pm, theedudenator wrote:
I had a loose toliet, I thought the bolts were bad....

I have a PVC type closet flange that was simply nailed to the
subfloor.
The nails rusted and there is nothing holding the flange to the floor.

So I poped the flange up, and the flange was never really installed to
the drain pipe.

The flange has a rubber ring which looked like it would engage the
plumbing.

The brand of this system is Canplas Industries.
I am trying to find a photo online...

But maybe this is a standard type system?

I have some photos...

[img]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o152/snt_bernardus/****ter/
flange.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o152/snt_bernardus/****ter/
flangea.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o152/snt_bernardus/****ter/
flangeb.jpg[/img]
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a loose toliet, I thought the bolts were bad....
I have a PVC type closet flange that was simply nailed to the
subfloor.
The nails rusted and there is nothing holding the flange to the floor.
So I poped the flange up, and the flange was never really installed to
the drain pipe.
The flange has a rubber ring which looked like it would engage the
plumbing.
The brand of this system is Canplas Industries.
I am trying to find a photo online...
But maybe this is a standard type system?
I have some photos...

From what I can tell looking at the pictures, it looks like a standard PVC
closet flange, with a wax seal that had a rubber "funnel" or "horn". Both
are fairly standard items you could pick up at any home center.

The only thing that concerns me is the flange is usually an intregral part
of the drain, or snap together with tabs so the drain stays attached to the
flange. While you could screw the flange back down, I would worry about the
drain pipe sagging and the potential for leaks under the floor you may not
discover for a while.

Do you have access to the piping under the floor? If so, I would be tempted
to replace the flange and piping back to a point you can make a secure
connection. If not, I would see if I could clean up the pipe and somehow
glue the flange to the pipe with PVC cleaner and cement. Again, I can't
tell for sure how it all fits together from the photos.

In general, I would just line up the bolt slots so the bolts can be
parallel to the wall, then use stainless steel screws to screw the flange
to the floor. Then install a new wax ring, with the rubber horn if you
wish, and install the toilet. Also, the flange should sit on top of the
flooring, and I can't tell from your photo if it is recessed flush with the
floor? If so, you might want to find a "tall" wax ring, or double-up wax
rings to ensure a tight seal.

Anthony