Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing non-silicone caulk

I need to recaulk my tub. I think the caulk there now is all-purpose
polyseamseal, which has no silicone. Aside from using a tool to dig
the caulk out, is there anything I should do? Some web pages mention
using a blow dryer or heat gun to soften it up. Is that useful?
Also, is there any solvent I could use? I think the tub is
fiberglass, and the wall is tile.

TIA,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 05:58:08 -0800 (PST), woger151
wrote:

I need to recaulk my tub. I think the caulk there now is all-purpose
polyseamseal, which has no silicone. Aside from using a tool to dig
the caulk out, is there anything I should do? Some web pages mention
using a blow dryer or heat gun to soften it up. Is that useful?
Also, is there any solvent I could use? I think the tub is
fiberglass, and the wall is tile.

TIA,

The heat gun will work. If you have one.

There is a product called Caulk Off (?). Made by the company that
makes Goo B Gone (?) A gel that you apply and let sit awhile.

I have used it with good results. The caulk you mention is
water-based.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:43:27 -0800, Oren wrote:

The heat gun will work. If you have one.

There is a product called Caulk Off (?). Made by the company that
makes Goo B Gone (?) A gel that you apply and let sit awhile.

I have used it with good results. The caulk you mention is
water-based.

Found:

DAP® CAULK-BE-GONE® Caulk Remover

Specially formulated gel softens many types of caulks and sealants for
easy removal. Fast-acting formula, works in as little as two hours.
Fresh scent. Will not harm most surfaces. Interior/exterior use.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=12

The brand I used was different, but got the job done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 6:32*pm, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:43:27 -0800, Oren wrote:
The heat gun will work. If you have one.

There is a product called Caulk Off (?). Made by the company that
makes Goo B Gone (?) A gel that you apply and let sit awhile.

I have used it with good results. *The caulk you mention is
water-based.

Found:

DAP® CAULK-BE-GONE® Caulk Remover

Specially formulated gel softens many types of caulks and sealants for
easy removal. Fast-acting formula, works in as little as two hours.
Fresh scent. Will not harm most surfaces. Interior/exterior use.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=12

*The brand I used was different, but got the job done.

Hmm...looks good, though I'm now a little leary to use a solvent
because the tub is probably either plastic or fiberglass. I might end
up having to use just a knife, or knife + heat gun, which sucks. Oh
well.

Thanks for the informative replies.

Cheers,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:10:49 -0800 (PST), woger151
wrote:

On Jan 18, 6:32*pm, Oren wrote:
[...]

Yep! We pick our poison. The DAP product will work and no twisting of
arms involved.

Help! Help! Silicone caulk Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 13 September 22nd 07 01:08 PM
Removing Silicone Caulk with Heat Gun? Blackadder III Home Repair 6 August 24th 06 02:25 AM
silicone caulk Patt Home Repair 3 June 26th 06 03:26 PM
Removing Silicone Caulk Gryhound Home Repair 5 October 4th 04 07:11 PM
Removing silicone caulk Roger Home Repair 2 September 27th 04 02:58 PM