Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sunday washing machine problem

Ancient Whirlpool washing machine. Left by the last people
here in 1994. But, has given me many years of service. Today
I came home to find the water valve in back had gone bad,
and it's been dribbling hot water in, full time. I turned of
the faucets behind the washing machine, and find out that
the hot doesn't completely close.

Tonight's activity:
* Turn off the gas to the water heater, so I can leak cold
water instead of hot water. It's 14F out there, and it was a
cold trip out to the water heater.
* Take a shower with the last of the hot water. Might be a
day or two without hot water.

Tomorrow activity:
* Call the parts house. See if they are open, on MLK day.
Get another water valve. Maybe get a valve at some where
else, if the main parts house is closed. Or, wait for
Tuesday.
* Crawl under the trailer, and shut off the water to the
house.
* Move the washing machine. Take washing machine apart.
Replace water valve.
* Take shut off valve apart, and change the faucet washer.
* Replace both water hoses. They are maybe ten years old, or
more.
* Crawl under trailer, turn water back on.
* Turn gas back on, for water heater.

Hope it all works.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

You could remove the hose and screw on a hose end cap, or even a hose on/off
valve for a temp fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2011 1:25 AM, Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

SHHHHH! Don't confuse him. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 4:06*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

.

Dismantle solenoid valve, remove diaphragm. There are two small
holes. Centre hole opens valve, very small one to the side closes
it. Unblock the latter. Reassemble. Watch TV. Simple.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I did think of that. I've got a garden hose valve,
around some where. Great idea, actually.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F" wrote in message

You could remove the hose and screw on a hose
end cap, or even a hose on/off
valve for a temp fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think that butterflies are fun. Blue is good. Kittens
are nice, too.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

You could remove the hose and screw on a hose end cap, or
even a hose on/off
valve for a temp fix.

SHHHHH! Don't confuse him. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2011 7:41 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I think that butterflies are fun. Blue is good. Kittens
are nice, too.

Gotch ya! :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

[...]

Go with the end cap suggested.

With plumbing, if you move or operate anything that isn't meant to be
operated frequently, it's gonna leak. Always? No. But plan on it. Maybe I
just always move the wrong ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Got me, what? Did you buy me a candy bar at the snack bar? I
havn't seen you in ages.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
On 1/17/2011 7:41 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I think that butterflies are fun. Blue is good. Kittens
are nice, too.

Gotch ya! :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did have to snug down the packing nuts, they leaked. They
didn't get operated frequently.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Red Green" wrote in message

Go with the end cap suggested.

With plumbing, if you move or operate anything that isn't
meant to be
operated frequently, it's gonna leak. Always? No. But plan
on it. Maybe I
just always move the wrong ****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sunday washing machine problem - temporary patch

Follow up. Wonders, my parts house was open today. On MLK
day , too. I went there, and bought a water valve. The one
that was called for, no longer available. But they did have
a substitute.

Got the hoses off, the power turned off, the lid up. The
rubber hose washers were rotted, spent a lot of time
scraping those out from the hose ends. Screw the needed
bracket onto the water valve. Screw that to the back of the
washer. Bit of silicone water resistant grease on the end of
the washer hose threads. Some on the nipple where the water
goes to the top of the basket. Screw the hoses back on, snug
them down with slip joint pliers. Wires and discharge hose
back on.

I'll admit I've not done a load of laundry, but at least the
water isn't dripping into the basket. I did buy two new
hoses. I don't want to pull the trailer skirting, it is
bitter cold and will probaably crack if I do. The leaky shut
off valve is still leaking. I'll do something with that when
the weather warms up. And when I can get at the shut off
under the trailer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

With plumbing, if you move or operate anything that isn't meant to be
operated frequently, it's gonna leak. Always? No. But plan on it. Maybe I
just always move the wrong ****.

There was a story on one of those history or discovery channels several
years ago about the water mains under New York City. Big ass valves on
big ass pipes, and they're long overdue for replacement. Well over 100
years old. But they're afraid to touch the valves, so they're just going
to wait for the inevitable catastrophe.

washing machine problem mickeymuffin UK diy 2 July 3rd 08 09:43 PM
Washing Machine Problem [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 17th 06 12:54 AM
Washing Machine Problem Grumps UK diy 7 November 6th 05 08:40 PM
Washing machine problem Dinah Home Repair 7 August 13th 05 04:02 AM
Washing Machine Problem Ray L UK diy 5 June 6th 05 02:39 PM