Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sunday washing machine problem

On 1/17/2011 1:25 AM, Bob F wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ancient Whirlpool washing machine. Left by the last people
here in 1994. But, has given me many years of service. Today
I came home to find the water valve in back had gone bad,
and it's been dribbling hot water in, full time. I turned of
the faucets behind the washing machine, and find out that
the hot doesn't completely close.

Tonight's activity:
* Turn off the gas to the water heater, so I can leak cold
water instead of hot water. It's 14F out there, and it was a
cold trip out to the water heater.
* Take a shower with the last of the hot water. Might be a
day or two without hot water.

Tomorrow activity:
* Call the parts house. See if they are open, on MLK day.
Get another water valve. Maybe get a valve at some where
else, if the main parts house is closed. Or, wait for
Tuesday.
* Crawl under the trailer, and shut off the water to the
house.
* Move the washing machine. Take washing machine apart.
Replace water valve.
* Take shut off valve apart, and change the faucet washer.
* Replace both water hoses. They are maybe ten years old, or
more.
* Crawl under trailer, turn water back on.
* Turn gas back on, for water heater.

Hope it all works.

You could remove the hose and screw on a hose end cap, or even a hose on/off
valve for a temp fix.

SHHHHH! Don't confuse him. :-)

TDD