Posted to alt.home.repair

Default electronic ballast for F15T8?

OK, I've been home sick since last Saturday and starting to go stir
crazy... silly ideas running through my head

I have an old Dazor draftman's lamp that I use for a desk light. I have
some high-CRI tubes in it and find it fantastic, except for one thing...
that damned buzz from the old magnetic ballasts.

Is there an electronic ballast that I could retrofit into the lamp to
make it nice and quiet and efficient? Dazor doesn't sell one, I already
asked, they still make 'em with magnetic ballasts.

yes, I am pretty attached to this lamp. It's darn near perfect save for
the buzz. I'm even considering spending the money to buy a diffuser for
it to make it even more perfect because it not only looks cool and
"vintage" it is the best desk/task light I've ever had and has that
wonderful floating adjustment. (funny thing is, other than the metallic
brown color, which was apparently discontinued long ago, it appears
identical to the current "Recognition Desk Lamp" which sells for the low
low price of $300-something)

There's a couple clamp mount ones floating around my office. I've
already told my warehouse guy if any of them head to the dumpster I want
a heads up ASAP.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 1:49*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Our local hardware stores sell replacement electronic ballasts, so as
soon as you are well, I would head to town and see what's available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

[...]

Perhaps poke around on Grainger.com or one of the ballast manufacturers
to see what's available? There is a pretty good chance there is
something suitable available to drive the lamp, packaging may be an
issue if it has to fit a non-standard space.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Buy any set with the same wattage tube, and use its innards
to upgrade yours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/15/2011 06:30 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I can't remember seeing any other kind of fixture using a 15W
fluorescent, save for cheap kitchen under-cabinet fixtures which also
use mag ballasts (and use starters, for that matter.) anyone know of
any others?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Home Depot is selling under-cabinet fixtures that are advertized as
buzz free. I bought 2 and they don't make a sound. I assume they
have electronic ballasts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

hmm. good to know. might have to have a look. 1 or 2 tubes?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 15, 2:49*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
OK, I've been home sick since last Saturday and

Fascina zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

starting to go stir
crazy... *silly ideas running through my head

I guess none of those silly ideas included the word "Google", again.

Is there an electronic ballast that I could retrofit into the lamp

Stand by, Einstein.

http://tinyurl.com/459sy4d
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 16, 1:39*am, gpsman wrote:
On Jan 15, 2:49*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

OK, I've been home sick since last Saturday and

Fascina *zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

starting to go stir
crazy... *silly ideas running through my head

I guess none of those silly ideas included the word "Google", again.

Is there an electronic ballast that I could retrofit into the lamp

Stand by, Einstein.

http://tinyurl.com/459sy4d
*-----

- gpsman

CUTE...I SEE YOU HAVE YOUR OWN GHOST~ BWUAHAHAHAHA ;-€
NOT BAD, IT SHOULD SIMPLE TO UPGRADE HIS FANCY SMANCY ANTIQUE NOW.

PATECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 15, 7:51*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Home Depot is selling under-cabinet fixtures that are advertized as
buzz free. *I bought 2 and they don't make a sound. *I assume they
have electronic ballasts.

hmm. *good to know. *might have to have a look. *1 or 2 tubes?

1 skinny one. I said quiet, not bright. Although the light is
adequate and the fixture is narrow. I was thinking you might swap the
ballast to your light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/16/2011 08:32 PM, Red wrote:
On Jan 15, 7:51 pm, Nate wrote:

Home Depot is selling under-cabinet fixtures that are advertized as
buzz free. I bought 2 and they don't make a sound. I assume they
have electronic ballasts.

hmm. good to know. might have to have a look. 1 or 2 tubes?

1 skinny one. I said quiet, not bright. Although the light is
adequate and the fixture is narrow. I was thinking you might swap the
ballast to your light.

right, I was tracking you. was asking to just see how many tubes the
ballast would drive. I think the lamp has two individual ballasts and
two tubes. so I'd need two of your fixtures from which to scavenge
ballasts, and hopefully they'd be small and of a size that would fit in
the base.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Nate Nagel, Ted wrote:
I know this is an old post but I've recently rewired two old Dazor desk lamps.
A model 1000 and a model 2002. I found them both on the street and they both
didn't work. I didn't want to spend much money on them and found an
inexpensive two pack of electronic ballasts that were the same physical
dimensions of the original magnetic ballasts. The cost for the 2 pack was $16
on Amazon. Look for the Fulham SC-120-113. You will need to trim the plastic
mounting tabs off to make them fit and rewire the original switch. The lights
work great and with some rubbing compound and wax, they look amazing.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t8-615231-.htm