Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Harbor Freight Expansion

I've had to go to a HF about 30 minutes away (with no traffic) but
yesterday I saw the HF sign up in a shopping center about two miles
away. I also saw employment ads for several new HF stores in the Bay
Area. Redwood City, Santa Clara (San Jose), and Dublin, are getting new
stores.

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly
managed, so hopefully the one near me will be better. Last time I was in
the Newark store, there was one cashier open, with a long line, and five
employees (including two cashiers and an assistant manager) having a gab
fest behind another register. When it was my turn, the cashier said,
sorry I'm closed, and another cashier opened and immediately had a long
line. I gave up and told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this
stuff back, I'm not waiting a second time in a line that long."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 9:10*am, SMS wrote:
I've had to go to a HF about 30 minutes away (with no traffic) but
yesterday I saw the HF sign up in a shopping center about two miles
away. I also saw employment ads for several new HF stores in the Bay
Area. Redwood City, Santa Clara (San Jose), and Dublin, are getting new
stores.

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly
managed, so hopefully the one near me will be better. Last time I was in
the Newark store, there was one cashier open, with a long line, and five
employees (including two cashiers and an assistant manager) having a gab
fest behind another register. When it was my turn, the cashier said,
sorry I'm closed, and another cashier opened and immediately had a long
line. I gave up and told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this
stuff back, I'm not waiting a second time in a line that long."

If I see people standing around I ask to see the manager. If he was
part of the laziness I ask him to write his name down and the name of
his district manager and phone number.

This leads to FAST service and retrains the idiots.

If you ever have a complaint with anyone tell them to write their name
down 50% refuse, and thats a second complaint.

if more people complained service would be better.

In a long slow moving line yell if this line moved any slower it would
be going in reverse....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly managed,
so hopefully the one near me will be better. Last time I was in the Newark
store, there was one cashier open, with a long line, and five employees
(including two cashiers and an assistant manager) having a gab fest behind
another register. When it was my turn, the cashier said, sorry I'm closed,
and another cashier opened and immediately had a long line. I gave up and
told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this stuff back, I'm not
waiting a second time in a line that long."

I would have had the manager there real quick. No way that is acceptable
once you are in line. The twit behind the counter was not trained well, nor
was a manager that would let that happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message
I've had to go to a HF about 30 minutes away (with no traffic) but
yesterday I saw the HF sign up in a shopping center about two miles away.
I also saw employment ads for several new HF stores in the Bay Area.
Redwood City, Santa Clara (San Jose), and Dublin, are getting new stores.

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly managed,
so hopefully the one near me will be better. Last time I was in the Newark
store, there was one cashier open, with a long line, and five employees
(including two cashiers and an assistant manager) having a gab fest behind
another register. When it was my turn, the cashier said, sorry I'm closed,
and another cashier opened and immediately had a long line. I gave up and
told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this stuff back, I'm not
waiting a second time in a line that long."

Nearest HF is 45 miles away. Employees there are very helpful and friendly.
Lucky for me. I won't trade at stores that are nasty to the customers. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
I've had to go to a HF about 30 minutes away (with no traffic) but
yesterday I saw the HF sign up in a shopping center about two miles
away. I also saw employment ads for several new HF stores in the Bay
Area. Redwood City, Santa Clara (San Jose), and Dublin, are getting new
stores.

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly
managed, so hopefully the one near me will be better. Last time I was in
the Newark store, there was one cashier open, with a long line, and five
employees (including two cashiers and an assistant manager) having a gab
fest behind another register. When it was my turn, the cashier said,
sorry I'm closed, and another cashier opened and immediately had a long
line. I gave up and told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this
stuff back, I'm not waiting a second time in a line that long."

No lines on line.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 11:45*am, LSMFT wrote:
No lines on line.

Yeah, but you pay sales tax AND shipping online...

At the store you get the same stuff for the same price, no shipping,
plus you can hold it in your hand and decide if it's usable or total
junk before you buy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 9:10*am, SMS wrote:
I've had to go to a HF about 30 minutes away (with no traffic) but
yesterday I saw the HF sign up in a shopping center about two miles
away. I also saw employment ads for several new HF stores in the Bay
Area. Redwood City, Santa Clara (San Jose), and Dublin, are getting new
stores.

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly
managed, so hopefully the one near me will be better. Last time I was in
the Newark store, there was one cashier open, with a long line, and five
employees (including two cashiers and an assistant manager) having a gab
fest behind another register. When it was my turn, the cashier said,
sorry I'm closed, and another cashier opened and immediately had a long
line. I gave up and told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this
stuff back, I'm not waiting a second time in a line that long."

My local HF has 2 cashiers by the front door and kind of a manager's
counter, with a register, tucked into a corner a little way's away.

Most times, as soon as one of the 2 main lines gets a little long,
they call someone to open the other.

Last weekend I was 3rd in line at the one cashier that was open. The
other cashier was on the phone. Just as the first customer finished
up, making me 2nd on line, a manager went behind her counter and said
"I can help whoever is next over here". As I started to walk over
there, passing the cashier that had been on the phone, she said "I can
help you right here."

I stopped at her register and then glanced over towards the manager's
counter to say thanks. She had a genuinely hurt looked on her face. We
all got a big laugh as barbs were tossed back and forth about
"stealing customers".

I've never had need to complain about the customer service at my local
HF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

World's largest retailer, Wal-Mart, has crappy service. Only worsted by
their Sam's Club. Pitiful and shameful. Here in the northeast, that's
expected though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly managed,
so hopefully the one near me will be better. Last time I was in the Newark
store, there was one cashier open, with a long line, and five employees
(including two cashiers and an assistant manager) having a gab fest behind
another register. When it was my turn, the cashier said, sorry I'm closed,
and another cashier opened and immediately had a long line. I gave up and
told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this stuff back, I'm not
waiting a second time in a line that long."

I would have had the manager there real quick. No way that is acceptable
once you are in line. The twit behind the counter was not trained well, nor
was a manager that would let that happen.

B of A is like that, and the managers don't care. Last time I ventured
into that god awful place was about 8 yrs. ago. I stood in line for a
teller for more than 1/2 hr., while a dozen desk jockeys surfed the web,
chatted on the phone, and organized their pencil trays. I raised hell
and was told, "oh, those people aren't tellers." Bull****. Maybe HF
would jump if a customer squeaked, but customer service is not the
business norm in many organizations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this stuff back, I'm not
waiting a second time in a line that long."

Good one!
Posted to alt.home.repair
zek zek is offline

On Jan 13, 1:42*pm, DT wrote:
In article ,
says...

World's largest retailer, Wal-Mart, has crappy service. Only worsted by
their Sam's Club. Pitiful and shameful. Here in the northeast, that's
expected though.

I dunno, the WalMart near me has excellent service with lots of cashiers
open at any time. Compare that with the local Super K, which has pitiful
service. I can't believe how long it takes to ring up a few items at K
Mart.

Then if you pay by debit, the freakin' machine runs a damn survey. What
is your zip code? Did the cashier mention the discount cards? How did
you hear about K Mart, etc. Each question has to be answered before you
can go to the next screen. And then it prints a receipt that is a yard
long.

--
DT

That's really funny. My Walmart with many cashiers, and very long
lines.
I absolutely hate the thought of going there.

My grocery, the Giant Eagle near my house, has the greatest line
service.
Its very rare that I have a person in front of me. Other branches are
not the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 1:42*pm, DT wrote:
In article ,
says...

World's largest retailer, Wal-Mart, has crappy service. Only worsted by
their Sam's Club. Pitiful and shameful. Here in the northeast, that's
expected though.

I dunno, the WalMart near me has excellent service with lots of cashiers
open at any time. Compare that with the local Super K, which has pitiful
service. I can't believe how long it takes to ring up a few items at K
Mart.

Then if you pay by debit, the freakin' machine runs a damn survey. What
is your zip code? Did the cashier mention the discount cards? How did
you hear about K Mart, etc. Each question has to be answered before you
can go to the next screen. And then it prints a receipt that is a yard
long.

--
DT

Ever been to a store where this happens:

You: Do you take debit cards?

Them: No, but there's an ATM right over there.

You: Push the beep buttons and find out there's a $2.50 charge to
withdraw cash.

Them: Smiling behind the counter 'cuz they just made some extra money
on the sale.

I left my stuff on the counter and bid them "Farewell" the last time
that happened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message ...

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly managed,
so hopefully the one near me will be better.

The closest HF to me is a dump--small, not very nice neighborhood, always
out of stock on sale items. But half an hour away is a big, new HF, with
helpful employees and they usually have everything on sale available. As a
result I don't go to a HF store as often as I might because the nearest one
has disappointed me too many times. Maybe HF is an example of a company
that has become too big to uniformly get it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Then if you pay by debit, the freakin' machine runs a damn survey. What
is your zip code? Did the cashier mention the discount cards? How did
you hear about K Mart, etc. Each question has to be answered before you
can go to the next screen. And then it prints a receipt that is a yard
long.

--
DT

I avoid K Mart for that reason......

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/13/2011 1:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 13, 1:42 pm, wrote:
In ,
says...

[...]

I think the arrangement for those ATMs is that they get a fixed amount
of money each month regardless of the number or amount of the
transactions. They don't like debit cards because of the bank fees on
them, which often exceed the credit card fees. Some places that take
debit cards tack on a 50 cent or so charge for them.

While I can't imagine using a debit card at a store that takes credit
cards (because of the credit card rebates and greater consumer
protection) if you use these private ATMs a lot you should get a
checking account at a bank that refunds out-of-network ATM fees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2011 12:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 13, 9:10 am, wrote:
[...]

I tease the clerks at mine about running out of the flashlights. They
post signs on the door when they are out. When I was down south over
Xmas, I stopped at the HF there to get some stuff to work on the house,
and I noticed a big box of the colored flashlights, off the hang-cards.
Asked the clerk about it, and he said the clerk that did it caught hell
from the manager, since they weren't allowed to substitute the colored
ones any more.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/13/2011 10:30 AM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
"Ed wrote:

wrote in message

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly managed,
so hopefully the one near me will be better. Last time I was in the Newark
store, there was one cashier open, with a long line, and five employees
(including two cashiers and an assistant manager) having a gab fest behind
another register. When it was my turn, the cashier said, sorry I'm closed,
and another cashier opened and immediately had a long line. I gave up and
told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this stuff back, I'm not
waiting a second time in a line that long."

I would have had the manager there real quick. No way that is acceptable
once you are in line. The twit behind the counter was not trained well, nor
was a manager that would let that happen.

B of A is like that, and the managers don't care.

I had to go into a BofA last year because a Countrywide account I had
turned into a BofA account. All of a sudden they would no longer allow
free electronic wire transfers of money in and out of the account. There
was a fee, plus some sort of cell phone verification requirement (or
they'd sell you some sort of device for verification). It was too
complicated and too expensive
http://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/index.cfm?template=learn_about_safepass.
I went in to close the account and get a check and it was a nightmare.
They had no signature card at the bank of course, and they couldn't
figure out how to find a facsimile of the card with my signature. They
kept asking me if I had other BofA accounts, which I didn't (except for
the mortgage that also got transferred from Countrywide). After about an
hour they let me log onto my BofA/Countrywide account to prove it was
me, then they gave me a check.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2011 9:10 AM, SMS wrote:
I've had to go to a HF about 30 minutes away (with no traffic) but
yesterday I saw the HF sign up in a shopping center about two miles
away. I also saw employment ads for several new HF stores in the Bay
Area. Redwood City, Santa Clara (San Jose), and Dublin, are getting new
stores.

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly
managed, so hopefully the one near me will be better. Last time I was in
the Newark store, there was one cashier open, with a long line, and five
employees (including two cashiers and an assistant manager) having a gab
fest behind another register. When it was my turn, the cashier said,
sorry I'm closed, and another cashier opened and immediately had a long
line. I gave up and told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this
stuff back, I'm not waiting a second time in a line that long."

From the time it was new, the local Lowes had signs at every cashier
line that states "If three or more people are in line we will open
another checkout" or something like that. Well for years they never did
what the signs said. I started emailing headquarters every time this
happened, and I was in there a few times a week. I also would read the
sign out loud for the cashier to hear (they usually said it's not up to
them, they are not even allowed to call or page someone if the lines are
too long) or I show the sign to other disgusted customers waiting in
line. After some time the store manager found out it was me giving him
all the bad reviews. (he asked me my name) After that, I swear as I
would walk into the store they would call some "code so and so..." to
all cashiers! It took well over a year but they very seldom have more
than 3 in a line for a long time now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2011 9:10 AM, SMS wrote:
I've had to go to a HF about 30 minutes away (with no traffic) but
yesterday I saw the HF sign up in a shopping center about two miles
away. I also saw employment ads for several new HF stores in the Bay
Area. Redwood City, Santa Clara (San Jose), and Dublin, are getting new
stores.

Their store in Newark (CA) that I've been going to is very poorly
managed, so hopefully the one near me will be better. Last time I was in
the Newark store, there was one cashier open, with a long line, and five
employees (including two cashiers and an assistant manager) having a gab
fest behind another register. When it was my turn, the cashier said,
sorry I'm closed, and another cashier opened and immediately had a long
line. I gave up and told the cashier, "you can have someone put all this
stuff back, I'm not waiting a second time in a line that long."

I've done that numerous times while still in the first line that was
moving too slow. Mostly at grocery stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"zek" wrote
That's really funny. My Walmart with many cashiers, and very long
lines.
I absolutely hate the thought of going there.

That varies and can change in an instant. I've gone into our 'WalMart and
there would be 2 or 3 cashiers looking for customers to check out. I'd walk
past them to get what I wanted and return in just a couple of minutes and
they would be inundated. Each lane would have four customers waiting in line
with full carts. They also eliminated the self checkout lanes. I hate them
and refuse to use them in any store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote:

I've done that numerous times while still in the first line that was
moving too slow. Mostly at grocery stores.

Not long ago I pulled up to the "10 Items or Less" area.

My mistake.

The lady in front of my had about 62 things and the clerk wasn't too
diligent about enforcing the rules.

"Bet you've never been praised for your math skills," I volunteered.

"What?" she retorted.

"You're in the wrong line. This is the No-Fool checkout counter," I
observed.

She indignantly retored: "If you say one more thing I'm going to call the
manager!"

"One more thing."

"Call the manager!" the witch shrieked at the clerk.

"Oh, shut up, bitch, or I'll hit you in the goddamn mouth."

(Just kidding on that last)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 10:47*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:

I've done that numerous times while still in the first line that was
moving too slow. *Mostly at grocery stores.

Not long ago I pulled up to the "10 Items or Less" area.

My mistake.

The lady in front of my had about 62 things and the clerk wasn't too
diligent about enforcing the rules.

"Bet you've never been praised for your math skills," I volunteered.

"What?" she retorted.

"You're in the wrong line. This is the No-Fool checkout counter," I
observed.

She indignantly retored: "If you say one more thing I'm going to call the
manager!"

"One more thing."

"Call the manager!" the witch shrieked at the clerk.

"Oh, shut up, bitch, or I'll hit you in the goddamn mouth."

(Just kidding on that last)

HEYBUBLA BOTH THE CHECK LADY AND THE OVER STOCKED CUSTOMER ARE ON MY
LIST.
YOU ALMOST MADE IT BUT THEY ARE GIVING YOU AN EXTENSION FOR YOUR
RESTRAINT.
JUST KIDDING, YOUR FINAL DESTINATION HAS ALREADY BEEN DETERMINED,
LIMBO.
THOSE THOUGHTS REACH THE ALL MIND...SORRY....WORK ON THAT.

PATECUM
Posted to alt.home.repair

My experience with the self check out lanes. They keep
insisting that I put the item in the bag. After I already
have. I refuse to deal with machines that are that idiotic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

They also eliminated the self checkout lanes. I hate them
and refuse to use them in any store.

Harbor Freight Jim in Milwaukee Woodworking 4 October 20th 10 02:35 PM
Off to Harbor Freight [email protected] Woodworking 19 April 4th 09 10:17 PM
Harbor Freight DMM Jim Yanik Home Repair 5 June 5th 06 03:09 PM
Harbor Freight tmurf.1 Home Repair 30 May 26th 06 07:31 PM
More on Harbor Freight DC mac davis Woodworking 11 November 22nd 04 08:20 PM