Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - debt recovery call

Yes, this is OT to home repair.

Just played a message on my answering machine. "This is
name, from company. We're a company that provides debt
recovery services for people. We're listed with the Better
Business Bureau. We're looking for a name, that lived on
street, in town. If this is you or a relative, please call
back at number, extension."

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989
to 1991. I'm thinking either they want to give me money.
They found an old debt owed me, and want half of it. Or
someone thinks I owe them money from twenty years or so ago.
Could go either way.

Should I call back, or touch delete on the answering
machine, and hope they never call again?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Yes, this is OT to home repair.

Just played a message on my answering machine. "This is
name, from company. We're a company that provides debt
recovery services for people. We're listed with the Better
Business Bureau. We're looking for a name, that lived on
street, in town. If this is you or a relative, please call
back at number, extension."

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989
to 1991. I'm thinking either they want to give me money.
They found an old debt owed me, and want half of it. Or
someone thinks I owe them money from twenty years or so ago.
Could go either way.

Should I call back, or touch delete on the answering
machine, and hope they never call again?

----------------------

I don't know American debt laws well at all but is there a possibility they
got your name from public records and are just calling you as a scam? Are
there time limitations on old debts??

Kinda like all those Nigerian Kings have to get
$1000000000000000000000000.00 outta the country and they'll give you half of
their fortune if you help them with your credit card or bank account number?

If it were me, I'd hit delete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yes, this is OT to home repair.

Just played a message on my answering machine. "This is
name, from company. We're a company that provides debt
recovery services for people. We're listed with the Better
Business Bureau. We're looking for a name, that lived on
street, in town. If this is you or a relative, please call
back at number, extension."

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989
to 1991. I'm thinking either they want to give me money.
They found an old debt owed me, and want half of it. Or
someone thinks I owe them money from twenty years or so ago.
Could go either way.

Should I call back, or touch delete on the answering
machine, and hope they never call again?

You might try a search at one of your state offices. There is one
in Nebraska that has a website for misplaced money. My sister in law
got a few hundred dollars back sometime ago through the state office. I
don't remember for sure which one it was. I think it was the Unclaimed
Property Division of the State Treasurer's Office.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know of a time limit, maybe so. I think attorneys
call it "statute of limitations". Been more than seven
years. I'm thinking you're right. Delete!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Henchman" wrote in message

I don't know American debt laws well at all but is there a
possibility they
got your name from public records and are just calling you
as a scam? Are
there time limitations on old debts??

Kinda like all those Nigerian Kings have to get
$1000000000000000000000000.00 outta the country and they'll
give you half of
their fortune if you help them with your credit card or bank
account number?

If it were me, I'd hit delete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If someone owes me money from 1990 (yes, I had a couple
customers fail to pay). I think it's not likely some company
will call and offer me money.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

You might try a search at one of your state offices.
There is one
in Nebraska that has a website for misplaced money. My
sister in law
got a few hundred dollars back sometime ago through the
state office. I
don't remember for sure which one it was. I think it was
the Unclaimed
Property Division of the State Treasurer's Office.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can easily imagine that. Send me $79.95 and I'll tell you
if I deleted the message.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Should I call back, or touch delete on the answering
machine, and hope they never call again?

my guess is they will want some money to get the process
started, they
cash the check, then you will never hear from them again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2011 9:01 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yes, this is OT to home repair.

Just played a message on my answering machine. "This is
name, from company. We're a company that provides debt
recovery services for people. We're listed with the Better
Business Bureau. We're looking for a name, that lived on
street, in town. If this is you or a relative, please call
back at number, extension."

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989
to 1991. I'm thinking either they want to give me money.
They found an old debt owed me, and want half of it. Or
someone thinks I owe them money from twenty years or so ago.
Could go either way.

Should I call back, or touch delete on the answering
machine, and hope they never call again?

They are probably a 2nd or 3rd tier recovery company, who bought a block
of old debts for pennies on the dollar, and is going through them to see
what they can recover. The database companies that mine old records and
mailing lists give 'hits' on very shallow commonalities like last name,
street, and even telephone exchange prefix. Computerized databases have
made this slice-and-dice so cheap, that if they get a hit on one
supposed connection out of 100, they have made money. Several years
ago, there was a web site where general public could search their own
name or address, and see who all was linked in the cloud. They didn't
leave it up long, probably because people bitched at how bad the data was.

I've had a few calls like that. If you don't owe the money, ignore it.
Any answer, just like saying 'please unsubscribe' to a spam email, makes
you look like a lead worth following up and reselling.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:01:12 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Yes, this is OT to home repair.

Just played a message on my answering machine. "This is
name, from company. We're a company that provides debt
recovery services for people. We're listed with the Better
Business Bureau. We're looking for a name, that lived on
street, in town. If this is you or a relative, please call
back at number, extension."

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989
to 1991. I'm thinking either they want to give me money.
They found an old debt owed me, and want half of it. Or
someone thinks I owe them money from twenty years or so ago.
Could go either way.

Should I call back, or touch delete on the answering
machine, and hope they never call again?

Ignore it.

My wife went through a background check some time ago, because she
applied as a volunteer at a local police department.

They ran her information, up pops her name (one letter off in
spelling): Armed Robbery charges (back East). She had the spelling
corrected at the PD that typed her name incorrectly.

Credit Reports are notorious for having information entered wrongly.
It happened to a friend once, stating she owed a medical bill. Same
name different state.

They came after me once for a very large medical debit, because I have
four brothers named Oren :-/ His company paid the debt after legal
action was started. It almost ruined his credit.

Wait for a formal letter if this is true and then check them out
before you do anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Yes, this is OT to home repair.

Just played a message on my answering machine. "This is
name, from company. We're a company that provides debt
recovery services for people. We're listed with the Better
Business Bureau. We're looking for a name, that lived on
street, in town. If this is you or a relative, please call
back at number, extension."

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989
to 1991. I'm thinking either they want to give me money.
They found an old debt owed me, and want half of it. Or
someone thinks I owe them money from twenty years or so ago.
Could go either way.

Should I call back, or touch delete on the answering
machine, and hope they never call again?

In my country,(NL) if you do not get or send a reminder during
more the a few years, the debt becomes void.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 8:01*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Yes, this is OT to home repair.

Just played a message on my answering machine. "This is
name, from company. We're a company that provides debt
recovery services for people. We're listed with the Better
Business Bureau. We're looking for a name, that lived on
street, in town. If this is you or a relative, please call
back at number, extension."

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989
to 1991. I'm thinking either they want to give me money.
They found an old debt owed me, and want half of it. Or
someone thinks I owe them money from twenty years or so ago.
Could go either way.

Should I call back, or touch delete on the answering
machine, and hope they never call again?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I would respond just to see what it is all about, especially if I were
sure that I did not have any money I owed to anybody. I would also
check out the company name with the BBB.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

One thing you have to watch about the scam artists are people coming at
you for debts of deceased relatives.
We had a couple, after FIL's death.
We received letters and calls, for him at our address and to us also.
Apparently they read the death notices and obituaries, every day.
Children or other Relatives, that don't live with the one the person,
supposedly owing the debt, don't know any different, and sometimes will
send money, or pay with a debit or credit card over the phone or
otherwise. Once they have you on the hook they will drain you dry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 21:08:53 -0500, "The Henchman"
wrote:

Kinda like all those Nigerian Kings have to get
$1000000000000000000000000.00 outta the country and they'll give you half of
their fortune if you help them with your credit card or bank account number?

If it were me, I'd hit delete.

Just this week.

_Las Vegas police arrest two in Nigerian 'black money' scam_

"...The suspects arrived at the final meeting with high hopes: They
thought they were getting $200,000 in exchange for "Nigerian Black
Money."

"But the men, believed to be a part of an organized crime syndicate
operating across the Southwest from Phoenix to Las Vegas, instead left
in handcuffs."

http://www.lvrj.com/news/two-arrested-in-las-vegas-in-nigerian-black-money-scam-113022889.html

One suspect has pointy ears.
Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Stormin Mormon" wrote

Just played a message on my answering machine. "This is
name, from company. We're a company that provides debt
recovery services for people. We're listed with the Better
Business Bureau. We're looking for a name, that lived on
street, in town. If this is you or a relative, please call
back at number, extension."

Two possibilities. They are either:
trying to collect a debt or unpaid tax from a person with that name
saw the name listed on a state web site with unclaimed money and want a
finders fee.

I'd check the state for unclaimed money every state you ever lived in. Long
story short, I turned 65 last year and every insurance company in the US
sent me something about Medicare supplements. Ignored and tossed some
unopened. One though, was from a company that had some pension money that
came due when I turned 65. This is from a job that I left 40 years ago in
another state. I didn't even know I had any pension. Had I not seen it,
the money would go to the state.

I'd invest in a phone call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Was it 'God '????
You better pay up !!!!!!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Yes, this is OT to home repair.

Just played a message on my answering machine. "This is
name, from company. We're a company that provides debt
recovery services for people. We're listed with the Better
Business Bureau. We're looking for a name, that lived on
street, in town. If this is you or a relative, please call
back at number, extension."

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989
to 1991. I'm thinking either they want to give me money.
They found an old debt owed me, and want half of it. Or
someone thinks I owe them money from twenty years or so ago.
Could go either way.

Should I call back, or touch delete on the answering
machine, and hope they never call again?

Sounds a little scammy to me as well... but just for snorts and giggles,
why don't you run a Google search on the phone number they left you?

Good Luck!

Erik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in :

Yes, this is OT to home repair.

Just played a message on my answering machine. "This is
name, from company. We're a company that provides debt
recovery services for people. We're listed with the Better
Business Bureau. We're looking for a name, that lived on
street, in town. If this is you or a relative, please call
back at number, extension."

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989
to 1991. I'm thinking either they want to give me money.
They found an old debt owed me, and want half of it. Or
someone thinks I owe them money from twenty years or so ago.
Could go either way.

Should I call back, or touch delete on the answering
machine, and hope they never call again?

You've gotten various suggestions.

Should you be tempted:

You'll set yourself up for a call list.

Are you on the national DO Not Call list?
http://www.donotcall.gov/ if so, you have some ammo

Tell them anything, anything at all, must be done in writing via US Mail
so you have documentation and a paper trail.

Do not give them permission to send you ANYTHING, letter or package. This opens you up to
things. They do not need your permission to mail you anything. Tell them
that. They already know it.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/i...itedFraud.aspx

I'm sure others have a tip or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We handle the matter differently, I see.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) "
wrote in message

I would respond just to see what it is all about, especially
if I were
sure that I did not have any money I owed to anybody. I
would also
check out the company name with the BBB.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Red Green wrote:

Tell them anything, anything at all, must be done in writing via US Mail
so you have documentation and a paper trail.

More importantly so you can sic the postal inspectors on them if
needed. WHen I was doing fire investigations we probably had one
successful mail fraud conviction for every three arson.

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would respond just to see what it is all about, especially if I were
sure that I did not have any money I owed to anybody. I would also
check out the company name with the BBB.

-------------

The BBB is there to protect their own members and it's an organization I
would never turn towards for help.

BBB looks after it's business members first and foremost because they pay
the membership fees. If a profitable crook makes money than the BBB will
try to protect his interests so longer has his membership fees are paid on
time. THE BBB's role is to help with arbitration first and foremost. By
helping the crooks with arbitration, they are in fact allowing fraud from
it's members in many cases. The BBB helps defend crooks by allowing
arbitration.

I actually look down on contractors and businesses that have the BBB logo on
their stationary and will usually look elsewhere.

Just my $.02.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989 to 1991.
I'm thinking either they want to give me money. They found an old debt
owed me, and want half of it. Or someone thinks I owe them money from
twenty years or so ago. Could go either way.

Try this site. It is free. No up sell. It found a valid claim for me.

I got $80 in profit sharing that a former employer owed me. All I had to
pay was a postage stamp to mail the claim to the KY state claims office.

http://www.missingmoney.com/Main/Index.cfm

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You *do* live in the 315 area code, so anything is possible. Perhaps one of
your "wives" racked up some debts you didn't know about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, it is slightly related to debt recovery. However, I'm
not looking for lost money. I'm the recipient of a phone
call.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
news Stormin Mormon wrote:

It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about
1989 to 1991.
I'm thinking either they want to give me money. They found
an old debt
owed me, and want half of it. Or someone thinks I owe them
money from
twenty years or so ago. Could go either way.

Try this site. It is free. No up sell. It found a valid
claim for me.

I got $80 in profit sharing that a former employer owed me.
All I had to
pay was a postage stamp to mail the claim to the KY state
claims office.

http://www.missingmoney.com/Main/Index.cfm

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair

I lived in the 315 area code from 1986 to 1992. How would
that support your sentence below? I've never been married.
How would that work, based on your below ASSertions?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

You *do* live in the 315 area code, so anything is possible.
Perhaps one of
your "wives" racked up some debts you didn't know about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I lived in the 315 area code from 1986 to 1992. How would
that support your sentence below? I've never been married.
How would that work, based on your below ASSertions?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

You *do* live in the 315 area code, so anything is possible.
Perhaps one of
your "wives" racked up some debts you didn't know about.

You top post, meaning you read & write incorrectly. Just a few years in 315
is obviously enough to do some damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, changing the subject. Now, the subject is personal
attacks. Very revealing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
I lived in the 315 area code from 1986 to 1992. How would
that support your sentence below? I've never been married.
How would that work, based on your below ASSertions?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

You *do* live in the 315 area code, so anything is
possible.
Perhaps one of
your "wives" racked up some debts you didn't know about.

You top post, meaning you read & write incorrectly. Just a
few years in 315
is obviously enough to do some damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

There might be kids reading these newsgroups. Your bad habits are
contagious. The last thing we need is yet another generation of illiterates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. So, tell me again. How does reading AHR promote
illiteracy?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote in message ...

Ah, changing the subject. Now, the subject is personal
attacks. Very revealing.

There might be kids reading these newsgroups. Your bad
habits are
contagious. The last thing we need is yet another generation
of illiterates.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
"Tony Sivori" wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
It is my name, and I did live at that adress from about 1989 to 1991.
I'm thinking either they want to give me money. They found an old debt
owed me, and want half of it. Or someone thinks I owe them money from
twenty years or so ago. Could go either way.

Try this site. It is free. No up sell. It found a valid claim for me.
http://www.missingmoney.com/Main/Index.cfm

Well, it is slightly related to debt recovery. However, I'm not looking
for lost money. I'm the recipient of a phone call.

[top post and attributes repaired]

You are the one that said someone might owe you money. If that someone is
a business, that is what the missingmoney site is for. The link I posted
has nothing to do with debt recovery aka collection agency aka bill
collectors.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair

Think about a way to call them from a different number, tell them they
left a message on your machine (no need to tell them it is you) and
ask what it's about...

There are companies that chase unclaimed property recipients for a
fee, and as people have posted you can find that out for yourself.

I read somewhere that debts go dormant after a number of years (at
least in some states) but that if you make even a tiny payment they're
undormantized (like that word?) and the debt becomes due again...

Copyright 2011 by Shaun Eli.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The odds are very low that someone wants to get a hold of me
to give me money. Yes, people owe me money. I've also given
up on the chance of getting that money.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Sivori" wrote in message
news
You are the one that said someone might owe you money. If
that someone is
a business, that is what the missingmoney site is for. The
link I posted
has nothing to do with debt recovery aka collection agency
aka bill
collectors.

--
Tony Sivori

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The odds are very low that someone wants to get a hold of me
to give me money. Yes, people owe me money. I've also given
up on the chance of getting that money.

How long ago was the call? Seems to me, if they wanted to collect from you,
a follow up call would have come by now. Could be a sales call for your
business to see if you need debt collecting services.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

The odds are very low that someone wants to get a hold of me to give me
money. Yes, people owe me money. I've also given up on the chance of
getting that money.

Lots of entrepreneurs peruse sites like the one I posted. They contact
people who are owed money, and for a percentage tell them where to get the
money.

Did you even try the site? If your last name is not extremely common, you
can just put in your last name and state. I found money for myself and two
relatives.

By the way, your top posting breaks post attributes and Usenet etiquette.
Maybe you could be bothered to read this:

http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml

--
Tony Sivori

What do you call this? What does Harbor Freight call this? mm Home Repair 11 December 1st 10 11:07 PM
The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act and Debt Cancellation Ablang Home Ownership 3 March 13th 10 03:37 PM
Default on the Debt amdx Metalworking 0 February 22nd 10 01:33 PM
Debt vs GDP Joseph2K Electronic Schematics 0 February 16th 08 05:26 AM
Night call out -- then cancell call Stormin Mormon Home Repair 10 July 22nd 06 11:49 AM