Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave necropsy

Take it out. Cut all the wires. Remove the power cord. Throw
out the magnetron on a separate week's trash removal so
there is zero chance anyone will sue you for putting a time
bomb in the trash. Cut the wire off VERY SHORT from the
transformer, boards, etc. Keep the power cord for seven
years so you can prove that you threw out a safe device.

Seriously, dump the thing before it kills you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message
I have a Whirlpool Microwave RM280PXABO on top of a
Whirlpool oven. As you
know, I wrote recently asking advice about the fuse.

Well, I got a fuse, put it in, and the panel came alive with
the clock and
controls working.

I put a glass of water in it, and turned it on. The wires
that come out of
the capacitor in the power supply bundle caught on fire.
The fuse did not
engage, or the wire size was too small, and it didn't reach
20 amps.

Upon looking at the power supply bundle, I noticed that
several wires had
been cobbled together with wing nuts and electrician's tape,
definitely not
a factory fresh application. The transformer had been
either moved, or
replaced, and the holes in the frame were not into the
original base of the
transformer, hence I think it is not the original
transformer. The wires
are combinations of two wires of different colors.

SIL says that "It just quit working one day." From what I
see, it was
worked on, things were altered, and things were altered
badly. I shall try
to get an honest answer, but you know how that goes.

The control panel controls the microwave and oven. We may
have to just take
off the microwave, and leave the control panel, and just
settle for using
the oven, and put a different microwave in the available
space, using the
keypad on the new MW.

I need to find a capable electronics guy in our small burg
who can come and
find out just what's wrong. Good luck. I have put it on
craigslist, and
the local repair services want $100 to show up. I may bite
the bullet, and
do that if I can't find anyone for less.

Will keep you posted.

Steve