Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave necropsy

"Michael B" wrote in message
That capacitor is for the magnetron function, and rated for
over a thousand volts.
It has been inexpertly modified, possibly including a different
magnetron transformer.
The schematic diagram for a microwave is actually very simple,
and so are some of the technicians that purport to repair them.

Walk away from it. There are replacements that do the job.
And a standalone unit could be a better choice. Funeral
services can easily run over 5 thousand dollars.

reply:

My wife brings me home projects and involves me in things like one of those
people who cannot turn down a stray cat or dog that becomes a money hole.

This oven MW combo has the proprietary one piece control panel that controls
both the oven and MW. To take it off will be a hassle, or to try to use
just the oven and control panel. We'll see. Maybe I can find someone smart
enough to pull this one out, and get the MW working.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2011 4:53 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Michael wrote in message
[...]

I looked on the Whirlpool web site out of morbid curiosity, and finally
found it. It could be rebuilt, but the parts would probably cost more
than a new(er) one. (Unless you could find one where the conventional
oven was fried, and make a frankenstein out of the two of them, like
with an old car.) I'd be inclined to yank the micro AND the oven and
junk them, and install a new/used stacked unit (if I could find one
cheap enough), or just a wall oven, and make a cubbyhole above it for a
cheap micro. Which one gets used more? Not a fan of combo devices,
because one part always dies before the others. Stacked ovens,
printer/scanner/fax combos, TVs with built in DVD/VCR, all-in-one
stereos, etc.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael wrote in message
[...]

My sediments, exactly. Only, I'm not a fan at all in the least in any way,
form, shape, or fashion of putting a microwave above any hot device, and
above countertop height.

Unless someone can pull off a miracle, I see this going to the junk yard,
and a new large oven being put in the new cabinet, and the MW staying on the
countertop, where it is now, and where I like it a lot, TYVM.

And no more puppies and kittens, neither.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael wrote in message
[...]

Funny how women like to assign these projects to husbands or other male
victims. Next time she brings you a "puppy", tell her to go change your
friggin' oil and coolant. Make sure she doesn't spill a drop on the
driveway, but if she does, she has to git down with a scrub brush and some
detergent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 1/9/2011 4:53 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Michael wrote in message
.
com... That capacitor is for the magnetron function, and rated for
[...]

And doing what Joe said, be sure you post your massive head trama pics on
the appropriate website.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote

And doing what Joe said, be sure you post your massive head trama pics on
the appropriate website.

Don't know about your house, but at mine, SWMBO has many more subtle ways of
getting even. And just as damaging. And even more painful................

Steve ;-)