Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Microwave necropsy

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On 1/9/2011 4:53 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Michael wrote in message
.
com... That capacitor is for the magnetron function, and rated for
over a thousand volts.
It has been inexpertly modified, possibly including a different
magnetron transformer.
The schematic diagram for a microwave is actually very simple,
and so are some of the technicians that purport to repair them.

Walk away from it. There are replacements that do the job.
And a standalone unit could be a better choice. Funeral
services can easily run over 5 thousand dollars.

reply:

My wife brings me home projects and involves me in things like one
of those
people who cannot turn down a stray cat or dog that becomes a money
hole.

This oven MW combo has the proprietary one piece control panel that
controls
both the oven and MW. To take it off will be a hassle, or to try
to use just the oven and control panel. We'll see. Maybe I can
find someone smart
enough to pull this one out, and get the MW working.

Steve

I looked on the Whirlpool web site out of morbid curiosity, and
finally found it. It could be rebuilt, but the parts would probably
cost more than a new(er) one. (Unless you could find one where the
conventional oven was fried, and make a frankenstein out of the two
of them, like with an old car.) I'd be inclined to yank the micro
AND the oven and junk them, and install a new/used stacked unit (if
I could find one cheap enough), or just a wall oven, and make a
cubbyhole above it for a cheap micro. Which one gets used more? Not
a fan of combo devices, because one part always dies before the
others. Stacked ovens, printer/scanner/fax combos, TVs with built in
DVD/VCR, all-in-one stereos, etc.

--
aem sends...

My sediments, exactly. Only, I'm not a fan at all in the least in
any way, form, shape, or fashion of putting a microwave above any hot
device, and above countertop height.

Unless someone can pull off a miracle, I see this going to the junk
yard, and a new large oven being put in the new cabinet, and the MW
staying on the countertop, where it is now, and where I like it a
lot, TYVM.

And no more puppies and kittens, neither.

Steve

Funny how women like to assign these projects to husbands or other
male victims. Next time she brings you a "puppy", tell her to go
change your friggin' oil and coolant. Make sure she doesn't spill a
drop on the driveway, but if she does, she has to git down with a
scrub brush and some detergent.

And doing what Joe said, be sure you post your massive head trama pics on
the appropriate website.