Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Microwave necropsy

"Steve B" wrote in message
I have a Whirlpool Microwave RM280PXABO on top of a Whirlpool oven. As you
know, I wrote recently asking advice about the fuse.

Well, I got a fuse, put it in, and the panel came alive with the clock and
controls working.

I put a glass of water in it, and turned it on. The wires that come out
of the capacitor in the power supply bundle caught on fire. The fuse did
not engage, or the wire size was too small, and it didn't reach 20 amps.

Upon looking at the power supply bundle, I noticed that several wires had
been cobbled together with wing nuts and electrician's tape, definitely
not a factory fresh application. The transformer had been either moved,
or replaced, and the holes in the frame were not into the original base of
the transformer, hence I think it is not the original transformer. The
wires are combinations of two wires of different colors.

SIL says that "It just quit working one day." From what I see, it was
worked on, things were altered, and things were altered badly. I shall
try to get an honest answer, but you know how that goes.

The control panel controls the microwave and oven. We may have to just
take off the microwave, and leave the control panel, and just settle for
using the oven, and put a different microwave in the available space,
using the keypad on the new MW.

I need to find a capable electronics guy in our small burg who can come
and find out just what's wrong. Good luck. I have put it on craigslist,
and the local repair services want $100 to show up. I may bite the
bullet, and do that if I can't find anyone for less.

Will keep you posted.

Steve

1) Waterboard the SIL to get to the truth. Just for the entertainment, ya
know? Find out what else the electrical shexpert in home has gotten his
hands on.

2) Remove microwave and dispose of properly.

3) Go to a tile store, find some nice ones. Epoxy them to a piece of wood
and mount the decorative panel where the microwave used to be.

4) Get a freestanding microwave.