Posted to alt.home.repair
KOS KOS is offline

Default draft coming from light switch plate-- located at side door (thatgoes outside)

Hi, right near my side door of my house.. THis door goes to the
outside of house... I have a light switch that is getting a huge
draft.. I purchased some of those insulation foam and put that
between the plate.. Still getting a big draft,, any other suggestions?
The only access to the outlet is opening the plate, bunch of
electrical wires etc.. No other access..
Thank you
KOS
Posted to alt.home.repair

KOS wrote:
Hi, right near my side door of my house.. THis door goes to the
outside of house... I have a light switch that is getting a huge
draft.. I purchased some of those insulation foam and put that
between the plate.. Still getting a big draft,, any other suggestions?
The only access to the outlet is opening the plate, bunch of
electrical wires etc.. No other access..
Thank you
KOS

Hi,
You can try spray foam in a can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 15:49:02 -0800 (PST), KOS
wrote:

Hi, right near my side door of my house.. THis door goes to the
outside of house... I have a light switch that is getting a huge
draft.. I purchased some of those insulation foam and put that
between the plate.. Still getting a big draft,, any other suggestions?
The only access to the outlet is opening the plate, bunch of
electrical wires etc.. No other access..
Thank you
KOS

From the outside of the door, check the trim molding at the bottom,
top and sides of the door trim. Any slight opening will cause the
draft. Caulk _those edges_ around the trim to prevent drafts entering
the jamb cavities. I've used plastic behind switch plates and even
finely caulked around the switch plate.

The trim is often overlooked as the culprit. Even check widows, etc.
These areas are overlooked when sealing windows and doors.

Let use know what you find.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 8, 5:53*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
KOS wrote:
Hi, right near my side door of *my house.. THis door goes to the
outside of house... I have a light switch that is getting a huge
draft.. I *purchased some of those insulation foam and put that
between the plate.. Still getting a big draft,, any other suggestions?
The only access to the outlet is opening the plate, bunch of
electrical wires etc.. No other access..
Thank you
KOS

Hi,
You can try spray foam in a can.

I love it, all these problems that foam can solve!

I fixed a similar problem with foam a while back, but be warned, don't
overdo it. I don't know if it's due to the way the stuff cures in the
cold or what, but I had it oozing out of the orifice several hours
later, and it made a mess of the surrounding drywall.