Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stranded wire

I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots (porch lights).
12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to work with I was thinking of
using some of the rubber coated stranded wire (still 12-3). In the past
I've used that extensively outdoors. Is there any reason to not use it
in wall for short runs?

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 3:38*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots (porch lights).
12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to work with I was thinking of
using some of the rubber coated stranded wire (still 12-3). In the past
I've used that extensively outdoors. Is there any reason to not use it
in wall for short runs?

* *Jeff

I don't think it is approved code wise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Thies wrote:

I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots (porch lights).
12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to work with I was thinking of
using some of the rubber coated stranded wire (still 12-3). In the past
I've used that extensively outdoors. Is there any reason to not use it
in wall for short runs?

Jeff

You can't use rubber coated service cord or the like (SJ, SO, etc.) in
wall. You can use a conduit and pull individual stranded conductors
(THHN generically, most these days meets a lot of different specs.).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots (porch lights).
12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to work with I was thinking of using
some of the rubber coated stranded wire (still 12-3). In the past I've
used that extensively outdoors. Is there any reason to not use it in wall
for short runs?

Jeff

Stranded conductor rubber cord dries out over time, and would become a real
fire hazard inside of a wall, which is probably why it's not approved

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 2:38*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots (porch lights).
12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to work with I was thinking of
using some of the rubber coated stranded wire (still 12-3). In the past
I've used that extensively outdoors. Is there any reason to not use it
in wall for short runs?

* *Jeff

12 ga is to much for regular lighting. 14 is easier to work with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Jeff Thies typed:
I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots
(porch lights). 12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to
work with I was thinking of using some of the rubber coated
stranded wire (still 12-3). In the past I've used that
extensively outdoors. Is there any reason to not use it in
wall for short runs?
Jeff

As long as it's properly rated and not just grabbed from extension cords,
etc, that would be OK. Just be sure to get the real thing; it's usually
right next to the solid wire on the store shelves with other residential
wiring.

I don't think you want stranded, though. If it's tight spaces, you're going
to wish it was solid when you try to finish the installation and be certain
all the strands made it into the connection (wirenuts, etc.). When we lived
in Chgo I rewired a home with conduit & stranded wire salvaged from a
factory and I had to tin-solder each end to get it to easily install into
wirenuts & attach to fixtures, pig tails, etc..

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 3, 6:36*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
,
Jeff Thies typed:

[...]

Bzzzt, wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2011 4:17 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:

I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots (porch lights).
12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to work with I was thinking of
using some of the rubber coated stranded wire (still 12-3). In the past
I've used that extensively outdoors. Is there any reason to not use it
in wall for short runs?

Jeff

You can't use rubber coated service cord or the like (SJ, SO, etc.) in
wall. You can use a conduit and pull individual stranded conductors
(THHN generically, most these days meets a lot of different specs.).

Thanks. I've got one line where I spliced in some SO to go about a foot
to the new lamp location. I'll do the other in solid now that I know.

Do you know what the restrictions are for SO/SJ? Can I run it along a
baseboard or to a GD? Snow caps or other crimp connectors OK?

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 2:57*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 1/3/2011 4:17 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:

[...]

You know you can't have a splice behind a wall either, right? Got to
be in a box.