Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default stranded wire

In ,
Jeff Thies typed:
I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots
(porch lights). 12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to
work with I was thinking of using some of the rubber coated
stranded wire (still 12-3). In the past I've used that
extensively outdoors. Is there any reason to not use it in
wall for short runs?
Jeff

As long as it's properly rated and not just grabbed from extension cords,
etc, that would be OK. Just be sure to get the real thing; it's usually
right next to the solid wire on the store shelves with other residential
wiring.

I don't think you want stranded, though. If it's tight spaces, you're going
to wish it was solid when you try to finish the installation and be certain
all the strands made it into the connection (wirenuts, etc.). When we lived
in Chgo I rewired a home with conduit & stranded wire salvaged from a
factory and I had to tin-solder each end to get it to easily install into
wirenuts & attach to fixtures, pig tails, etc..

HTH,

Twayne`