Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stranded wire

On Jan 4, 2:57*pm, Jeff Thies wrote:
On 1/3/2011 4:17 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Jeff Thies wrote:

* * I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots (porch lights).
12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to work with I was thinking of
using some of the rubber coated stranded wire (still 12-3). In the past
I've used that extensively outdoors. Is there any reason to not use it
in wall for short runs?

* * Jeff

You can't use rubber coated service cord or the like (SJ, SO, etc.) in
wall. You can use a conduit and pull individual stranded conductors
(THHN generically, most these days meets a lot of different specs.).

Thanks. I've got one line where I spliced in some SO to go about a foot
to the new lamp location. I'll do the other in solid now that I know.

* *Do you know what the restrictions are for SO/SJ? Can I run it along a
baseboard or to a GD? Snow caps or other crimp connectors OK?

* *Jeff

You know you can't have a splice behind a wall either, right? Got to
be in a box.