Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Constructing a Garage Office/Studio

We have a two car garage in our new home, which is about 8 months old. We didn't get the garage insulated, which I'm kicking myself now for, but I'm throwing around the idea of insulating the walls, ceiling, and garage door to possibly use it as a garage office and/or studio. We're in Central Texas so our summers are extreme and winters can have a bite as well, so I have a few questions.

The insulation part I think is fairly start forward since I'll have to cut a hole in the walls between each stud and just blow insulation in, which I can use the same thing in the ceiling. As for the door I'm looking at the Corning insulation kits, but is there any suggestion on how to completely seal the door from drafts, bugs, and critters? When it's closed I'd like it to be tight.

For flooring I'm thinking either indoor/outdoor carpet or even possibly some type of coating or stain. We've never parked in the garage so it's fairly clean with no oil or anything. Any suggestions here?

Heating and cooling is another hurtle because I don't think our HVAC unit could handle adding that much square feet to it's workload. My thought is a portable Heat/Cooling unit where we'd just run the condensation line outside, but what other options do we have? The garage has no windows, so a window unit isn't possible.

Has anyone ever tackled something like this before? Unfortunately since we'll have to keep the door attached (per HOA rules) there's no way to get rid of that garage look, but I'd think it could make for a nice place to hangout and work.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas... or even pictures or suggestions from people who've gone through such a project before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alex" wrote

For flooring I'm thinking either indoor/outdoor carpet or even possibly
some type of coating or stain. We've never parked in the garage so it's
fairly clean with no oil or anything. Any suggestions here?

Depends on the final use. There are rubber type of flooring that can easily
be washed if you are using it as a workshop. Carpeting has the benefit of
noise reduction and comfort.

Heating and cooling is another hurtle because I don't think our HVAC unit
could handle adding that much square feet to it's workload. My thought is
a portable Heat/Cooling unit where we'd just run the condensation line
outside, but what other options do we have? The garage has no windows, so
a window unit isn't possible.

You can cut a hold in the wall and use a window unit mounted in a frame or
you can just drill a hole and use a mini-split system. If you have gas,
heat can be done with a variety of open or closed flame heaters. Propane is
a possibility also. Electric is simple if it is not cost prohibitive where
you are.

Has anyone ever tackled something like this before? Unfortunately since
we'll have to keep the door attached (per HOA rules) there's no way to get
rid of that garage look, but I'd think it could make for a nice place to
hangout and work.

Depending on your budget, you can remove the door, frame it and paint it to
look like a door. Trompe L'oil comes to mind.

In any case, I'd look at cutting a window into the room. I don't like
living in a cave.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 23, 1:37*pm, Alex wrote:
We have a two car garage in our new home, which is about 8 months old. *We didn't get the garage insulated, which I'm kicking myself now for, but I'm throwing around the idea of insulating the walls, ceiling, and garage door to possibly use it as a garage office and/or studio. *We're in Central Texas so our summers are extreme and winters can have a bite as well, so I have a few questions.

The insulation part I think is fairly start forward since I'll have to cut a hole in the walls between each stud and just blow insulation in, which I can use the same thing in the ceiling. *As for the door I'm looking at the Corning insulation kits, but is there any suggestion on how to completely seal the door from drafts, bugs, and critters? *When it's closed I'd like it to be tight.

Don't even think about blowing in insulation unless you know you have
a vapor barrier under the drywall. If not, junk the drywall, put in
bats or whatever you like and cover with 6 mil poly sealed every
where. But frame your window(s) and AC opening first if you choose to
go that way.

For flooring I'm thinking either indoor/outdoor carpet or even possibly some type of coating or stain. *We've never parked in the garage so it's fairly clean with no oil or anything. *Any suggestions here?

Consider simply using a 2 part epoxy floor paint. Not fancy, but
durable. If you need a homey look use an area rug, or similar.

Heating and cooling is another hurtle because I don't think our HVAC unit could handle adding that much square feet to it's workload. *My thought is a portable Heat/Cooling unit where we'd just run the condensation line outside, but what other options do we have? *The garage has no windows, so a window unit isn't possible.

Do at least one nice big window or two small ones. North light is
dandy if possible.

Has anyone ever tackled something like this before? *Unfortunately since we'll have to keep the door attached (per HOA rules) there's no way to get rid of that garage look, but I'd think it could make for a nice place to hangout and work. *

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas... or even pictures or suggestions from people who've gone through such a project before.

Overall, not that big a deal. Ed's faux door plan above is spot on for
keeping you and the HOA happy. Don't put semi-permanent things outside
in front of the 'door', though, as that might cause small minded
complainers to get upset.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 2:43*pm, Joe wrote:
On Dec 23, 1:37*pm, Alex wrote:

[...]

You could remove the opener and permanently seal off the door on the
inside, then put in a false wall with insulation and a vapor barrier
and then sheetrock it just like toe other walls, after you insulate
them, On the outside it will still be the original door, and if you
sell you can tell the buyer that the false wall can be removed and the
space converted back to a garage. You will loose a few inches due to
that new wall being slightly thicker due to the original door being
thicker than siding would have been, but if you are hurting for a few
inches, then your garage must be awfully tiny. Bggest problem I can
think of is electric outlets on the new false wall if you want to put
something against that wall. Any wiring needs to be code, in case of
a fire or other disaster. You don't say if you will try to get a
permit or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 2:37*pm, Alex wrote:
[...]

Just remember taht you rfloor is probably sloped to the garage door.
Everything you put in there will be tilted to some degree and may need
leveling. For example: A desk, things will roll off it fast! Drill
press, bit will roll off it too, and etc.:-)

Hank ~~~ a little of kilter too

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could remove the opener and permanently seal off the door on the
inside, then put in a false wall with insulation and a vapor barrier
and then sheetrock it just like toe other walls, after you insulate
them, On the outside it will still be the original door, and if you
sell you can tell the buyer that the false wall can be removed and the
space converted back to a garage. You will loose a few inches due to
that new wall being slightly thicker due to the original door being
thicker than siding would have been, but if you are hurting for a few
inches, then your garage must be awfully tiny. Bggest problem I can
think of is electric outlets on the new false wall if you want to put
something against that wall. Any wiring needs to be code, in case of
a fire or other disaster. You don't say if you will try to get a
permit or not.

A nice way to do this is to leave 6 feet or so between the wall and the door
so it can still be opened. The space can be used as storage. Locally the
city picks on people who convert their garage and won't let them park in
their driveway any more saying it is not a driveway but part of their yard
since they do not have a garage. Leaving the door there and working would
help fool everyone into thinking there still is a garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:56:41 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

Depending on your budget, you can remove the door, frame it and paint it to
look like a door. Trompe L'oil comes to mind.

Garage door art. Make the new wall look as you wish or can get away
with.

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/07/15/garage-3.jpg

and...

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Internat...090722_ssv.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

?
wrote:

Depending on your budget, you can remove the door, frame it and paint it
look like a door. Trompe L'oil comes to mind.

Garage door art. Make the new wall look as you wish or can get away
with.

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/07/15/garage-3.jpg

and...

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Internat...090722_ssv.jpg

Oh man, that would drive the HOA nuts!!!