Posted to alt.home.repair
Alex Alex is offline

Default Constructing a Garage Office/Studio

We have a two car garage in our new home, which is about 8 months old. We didn't get the garage insulated, which I'm kicking myself now for, but I'm throwing around the idea of insulating the walls, ceiling, and garage door to possibly use it as a garage office and/or studio. We're in Central Texas so our summers are extreme and winters can have a bite as well, so I have a few questions.

The insulation part I think is fairly start forward since I'll have to cut a hole in the walls between each stud and just blow insulation in, which I can use the same thing in the ceiling. As for the door I'm looking at the Corning insulation kits, but is there any suggestion on how to completely seal the door from drafts, bugs, and critters? When it's closed I'd like it to be tight.

For flooring I'm thinking either indoor/outdoor carpet or even possibly some type of coating or stain. We've never parked in the garage so it's fairly clean with no oil or anything. Any suggestions here?

Heating and cooling is another hurtle because I don't think our HVAC unit could handle adding that much square feet to it's workload. My thought is a portable Heat/Cooling unit where we'd just run the condensation line outside, but what other options do we have? The garage has no windows, so a window unit isn't possible.

Has anyone ever tackled something like this before? Unfortunately since we'll have to keep the door attached (per HOA rules) there's no way to get rid of that garage look, but I'd think it could make for a nice place to hangout and work.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas... or even pictures or suggestions from people who've gone through such a project before.