Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing a cast iron bath tub??

On Dec 22, 9:22*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 04:05:22 -0800, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I still don't see how you would deal with the flange that goes on the
"unfinished" side.

I am referring to the flange that gets covered by the wallboard...the
flange shown up against the studs in this pictu

http://www.solwerks.net/blog/hello/3...remodel%20073%

20crop%20edit-2005.03.24-09.12.16.jpg

I'm not seeing how it's a problem - how's it any different between a bath
that has integral side-panels and one that doesn't? The profile of the
flange / rim / lip is still the same for both, and they'd both be sealed
against the wall in the same way.

cheers

Jules

The flange is typically molded onto the 2 ends and the "unfinished"
side, as a single continous strip and an integral part of tub - no
seam.

The wallboard comes down over the flange and the flange prevents water
from getting behind the tub. Even if the caulking were bad, you'd need
a substantial amount of water such that it would go up over the flange
and wet the studs or drip onto the floor.

In an earlier post you said:

"the top of the side panel(s) slotting into the underside of the lip"

What lip? The curved, finished lip that is on the finished side of
today's single sided tubs? The lip on the side that we usually sit
on?

OK, I'll give you that. Put a finished curve on both sides of the tub
and allow the side panel to slip under it. Fine.

Now tell me how the flange that sticks *up* gets attached to the
unfinished side without creating a seam that could allow water to get
behind the tub?

Once again, look at the picture found he

http://www.solwerks.net/blog/hello/3...4-09.12.16.jpg

You can't see the back corners, but the flange is continuous around
those corners and also slopes down and disappears as it approaches the
finished side so that you can finish the front corners more easily.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I'm having trouble picturing how
you would add a watertight flange when using a detachable side panel.
Did you have something in mind that addresses that issue?

Moving a cast iron bath geraldthehamster[_2_] UK diy 51 July 27th 10 08:56 PM
Removing cast iron bath panel jen Home Repair 1 August 6th 06 03:10 PM
Cast Iron Enamel Bath Hugh UK diy 0 August 17th 05 09:21 AM
acrylic vs cast iron bath tub pat Home Repair 10 May 8th 05 07:43 PM
Cast iron bath(s) Dave Plowman UK diy 30 February 5th 04 02:35 PM