Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Filters for Smokers

On 12/18/2010 2:13 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I've got some smokers in the rental house and want to add air filtering.
I've got a small hepa type filter with an ionizer in temporarily. But
since I am dealing with mostly smoke, I wonder if one of the
electrostatic types would work just as well if not better.

Suggestions? Google is failing me here.

Jeff

I don't think there is a big enough or potent enough filter.
My late Uncle, a Marine smoked so much that everything in his home was
covered in a brown film nearly impossible to get off. I inherited
several of his guns. I spent many an evening with solvents and oils
getting all/most of it off.
Smoking in a car can take a thousand to several thousand off it's value.
You can hide the odor for a while but it comes back out and no one wants it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 01:28:04 -0500, Lil Abner wrote:

On 12/18/2010 2:13 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I've got some smokers in the rental house and want to add air filtering.
I've got a small hepa type filter with an ionizer in temporarily. But
since I am dealing with mostly smoke, I wonder if one of the
electrostatic types would work just as well if not better.

Suggestions? Google is failing me here.

Jeff

I don't think there is a big enough or potent enough filter.
My late Uncle, a Marine smoked so much that everything in his home was
covered in a brown film nearly impossible to get off. I inherited
several of his guns. I spent many an evening with solvents and oils
getting all/most of it off.

A friend bought a house (all she could afford) and spent weeks washing walls,
floors and windows. The windows had so much tar on them that they were almost
opaque (walls had the same or more).

Smoking in a car can take a thousand to several thousand off it's value.
You can hide the odor for a while but it comes back out and no one wants it.

Yep. A friend used to buy used cars (rentals, mostly) at auction for a
dealership. One thing he'd look for was signs of smoking (he smoked).
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lil Abner wrote in :

On 12/18/2010 2:13 PM, Jeff Thies wrote:
I've got some smokers in the rental house and want to add air
filtering. I've got a small hepa type filter with an ionizer in
temporarily. But since I am dealing with mostly smoke, I wonder if
one of the electrostatic types would work just as well if not better.

Suggestions? Google is failing me here.

Jeff

I don't think there is a big enough or potent enough filter.
My late Uncle, a Marine smoked so much that everything in his home was
covered in a brown film nearly impossible to get off. I inherited
several of his guns. I spent many an evening with solvents and oils
getting all/most of it off.
Smoking in a car can take a thousand to several thousand off it's
value. You can hide the odor for a while but it comes back out and no
one wants it.

both car rentals and motel/hotel room rentals will charge you extra if
you're a smoker,if they allow it at all.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 6:09*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Lil Abner wrote :

[...]

dot com- Hide quoted text -

soon smoking will be illegal. We all pay the price in higher health
care costs

smoking around kids even in private homes is truly child abuse and
should be proscuted as such
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2010 8:24 PM, wrote:
On Dec 19, 6:09 pm, Jim wrote:
Lil wrote :

[...]

The tax on my ciggies pays for healthcare for all the obesity-related
problems ... diabetes, heart disease, joint replacements, long-term
disability.

smoking around kids even in private homes is truly child abuse and
should be proscuted as such

Prosecute all the lazy *******s who don't cook and who feed their kids
nothing but cola, pizza and fast food. With all of the obtuse and
irrelevant discussion of second-hand smoke...a problem vastly
exagerated...nobody brings up the millions of tons of pollution produced
by businesses. People get very in-your-face at the sight of a
cigarette, but jump into their gas guzzlers and drive home and light up
their fire places and run their dang noisy gas-powered leaf blowers and
pollute MY air. I'm not saying smoking is good, or that second-hand
smoke does not have risks, but folks these days sing a one-note song and
sing it forever. They drive gas guzzlers and dump poison by the ton into
the envirnment, but seem to think that air is pure but for cigarette
smoke. And never, ever, do I hear of a tax on alcoholic
beverages...would probably balance the federal budget but who wants to
pay a dime more for the booze they guzzle daily, or think about the
health and social hazards of doing so. I'm just sayin'...

Cig. smoking became popular partly as an answer to weight control. It
would be ironic, but not terribly surprising, if enough people quit
smoking only to discover that doing so, statistically, leads to reducing
life expectancy because of the increase in obesity-related illnesses?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2010 9:30 PM, wrote:
On 12/19/2010 8:24 PM,
wrote:
On Dec 19, 6:09 pm, Jim wrote:
Lil wrote :

[...]

I thought smoking became popular because tobacco companies provided free
cigarettes to soldiers in their rations and Red Cross packages. Perhaps
I'm blowing smoke? :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2010 9:30 PM, wrote:
On 12/19/2010 8:24 PM,
wrote:
On Dec 19, 6:09 pm, Jim wrote:
Lil wrote :

[...]

Just FYI, there are plenty of taxes on alcoholic beverages. JACK
DANIELS for one pays a whopping $14 a GALLON on every gallon that goes
into the aging warehouses. NOT when it is sold, when it is MADE some 7
years before he gets to sell it.

--
Steve Barker