Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Filters for Smokers

On Dec 18, 11:13*am, Jeff Thies wrote:
* *I've got some smokers in the rental house and want to add air
filtering. I've got a small hepa type filter with an ionizer in
temporarily. But since I am dealing with mostly smoke, I wonder if one
of the electrostatic types would work just as well if not better.

Suggestions? Google is failing me here.

* *Jeff

http://www.pureairsystems.com/Pure-A...-350_e01d.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2010 3:03 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Dec 18, 11:13 am, Jeff wrote:
I've got some smokers in the rental house and want to add air
filtering. I've got a small hepa type filter with an ionizer in
temporarily. But since I am dealing with mostly smoke, I wonder if one
of the electrostatic types would work just as well if not better.

Suggestions? Google is failing me here.

Jeff

http://www.pureairsystems.com/Pure-A...-350_e01d.html

This seems like a plan.

I'm aware of what it takes to rent to smokers and it is not a show
stopper for me. In fact I anticipate the vast majority of my tenants
will be at least light smokers. They will mostly step outside for a
smoke (that is what smokers do), but not always.

This is, after all, a 14K house. I'm not going after the well heeled.
Got a couple of gay waiters so far...

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 11:13 am, Jeff *wrote:
* * I've got some smokers in the rental house and want to add air
filtering. I've got a small hepa type filter with an ionizer in
temporarily. But since I am dealing with mostly smoke, I wonder if one
of the electrostatic types would work just as well if not better.

Suggestions? Google is failing me here.

* * Jeff

http://www.pureairsystems.com/Pure-A...-350_e01d.html

* *This seems like a plan.

* *I'm aware of what it takes to rent to smokers and it is not a show
stopper for me. In fact I anticipate the vast majority of my tenants
will be at least light smokers. They will mostly step outside for a
smoke (that is what smokers do), but not always.

* *This is, after all, a 14K house. I'm not going after the well heeled.
Got a couple of gay waiters so far...

* *Jeff

Gee a 14k house, what an outhouse with a view. Sounds like a great
Hood. I left off the "neighbor" because I bet there is little of
that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 11:13 am, Jeff *wrote:
[...]

that.- Hide quoted text -

Well I had a rental for a good many years the lease stated clearly NO
SMOKING. What a filthy dirty stinky disquisting habit.

I attracted tenants who didnt like smoke stink.

With about 25% still smoking

The non smokers were attracted to my rental home

You CANT wash the odor of smoke or urine out of walls floors etc, let
alone air ducts and furnaces.

For soild surfaces first scrub well then prime with BIN or KILZ oil
based primer, for floors coat with outdoor polyurethane, its smelly
but wouldnt soften in moist weather. Have furnace guys clean and
deodorize all ductwork.

Then paint everything normally toss all carpeting and pad.

incidently this is what the fire restoration people do after a home
fire.

its costly and a ton of work but the only thing that truly works
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 11:13 am, Jeff wrote:
I've got some smokers in the rental house and want to add air
filtering. I've got a small hepa type filter with an ionizer in
temporarily. But since I am dealing with mostly smoke, I wonder if one
of the electrostatic types would work just as well if not better.

Suggestions? Google is failing me here.

Jeff

http://www.pureairsystems.com/Pure-A...-350_e01d.html

This seems like a plan.

I'm aware of what it takes to rent to smokers and it is not a show
stopper for me. In fact I anticipate the vast majority of my tenants
will be at least light smokers. They will mostly step outside for a
smoke (that is what smokers do), but not always.

This is, after all, a 14K house. I'm not going after the well heeled.
Got a couple of gay waiters so far...

Jeff

Gee a 14k house, what an outhouse with a view.

You can turn your nose up, that's OK. What you say shades my opinion of
yourself, seems like you don't care. Your choice.

It's a majority black neighborhood, but so is the whole city. The house
is tight, wired in 10 gauge and almost all copper plumbing. Hardwood
floors in good shape. Low e windows. Kohler kitchen sink, nearly new oak
cabinets and GE stove. I've added a lot of closet storage. Sold for 145K
in 2005. Working class neighborhood. I paid cash and drove a hard deal,
the only way you can buy houses that cheap.

It's not a McMansion, but I have very happy tenants and clear about
$600/month. Do the math.

Trying to buy another or two.

This type of investing isn't for everyone, but I can handle it.
Probably not many could. I see a market that I can serve and an
opportunity. I'm doing the best I can, it's not the conventional path.
But I'm not conventional.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 11:13 am, Jeff wrote:
[...]

If you can do a lot of the service and repairs yourself, you can come
out ahead. I know a few building contractors who own rentals and the
fact that they can maintain the homes themselves without breaking the
bank makes a big difference. One contractor I knew was having a problem
with a gas furnace in one of his rental units that he bought cheap. The
place was in a flood plain and had been damaged by water. He repaired
the water damage and rented the place out but it had problems with the
horizontal gas furnace in the attic. I checked it out for him and found
no problem but it still acted up. On a return trip, I decided to tear
it down and find out what in the world was causing the malfunction. I
found water in the gas valve and gas line, I also found that the gas
meter was full of water from,..... wait for it,....the freaking flood!
Nobody had thought to replace the darned gas meter after Noah's drive
by! :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 18 Dec 2010 11:17:02p, Jeff Thies told us...

http://www.pureairsystems.com/Pure-A...S-350_e01d.htm

This seems like a plan.

I'm aware of what it takes to rent to smokers and it is not a
show
stopper for me. In fact I anticipate the vast majority of my
tenants will be at least light smokers. They will mostly step
outside for a smoke (that is what smokers do), but not always.

This is, after all, a 14K house. I'm not going after the well
heeled.
Got a couple of gay waiters so far...

Jeff

DOes that automatically make them smokers?

Pole smokers.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 11:13 am, Jeff wrote:
[...]

I've rather enjoyed fixing it up. It has been a good bit of scrounging
and creativity. Lot of Hotel grade stuff, $40 Kohler sink, scavenged
shutters and such. The house is very secure now, after I read the riot
act to the criminal enterprise across the street. Let's just say that
they are very respectful now!

One contractor I knew was having a problem
with a gas furnace in one of his rental units that he bought cheap. The
place was in a flood plain and had been damaged by water. He repaired
the water damage and rented the place out but it had problems with the
horizontal gas furnace in the attic. I checked it out for him and found
no problem but it still acted up. On a return trip, I decided to tear
it down and find out what in the world was causing the malfunction. I
found water in the gas valve and gas line, I also found that the gas
meter was full of water from,..... wait for it,....the freaking flood!
Nobody had thought to replace the darned gas meter after Noah's drive
by! :-)

I was told I couldn't get DSL there, it turns out that there was no
record of phone service. I'm having the phone turned on, getting DSL,
and turning the phone back off.

+ ~2K:
http://ajcexchange.com/3-Real-Estate.../769007/detail

I've got a friend living there subletting... I'm going to run it like
that until I get everything done I want done.

Jeff

TDD

Small hot smokers Weatherlawyer UK diy 18 March 30th 10 07:54 PM
OT - For the smokers! BRG[_2_] UK diy 46 March 12th 08 08:27 AM
Air Filters - Questions re the ones for the HVAC and seperate plug-in type air filters. Ron Cliborn Home Repair 3 August 13th 06 05:37 PM
Buying a house from smokers [email protected] Home Repair 24 June 25th 05 09:02 PM
Condo's and their smokers Duke Home Repair 0 January 29th 04 08:07 PM