Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Filters for Smokers

On Dec 19, 2:46*pm, ransley wrote:
On Dec 19, 12:17*am, Jeff Thies wrote:

On 12/18/2010 3:03 PM, Molly Brown wrote:

On Dec 18, 11:13 am, Jeff *wrote:
* * I've got some smokers in the rental house and want to add air
filtering. I've got a small hepa type filter with an ionizer in
temporarily. But since I am dealing with mostly smoke, I wonder if one
of the electrostatic types would work just as well if not better.

Suggestions? Google is failing me here.

* * Jeff

http://www.pureairsystems.com/Pure-A...-350_e01d.html

* *This seems like a plan.

* *I'm aware of what it takes to rent to smokers and it is not a show
stopper for me. In fact I anticipate the vast majority of my tenants
will be at least light smokers. They will mostly step outside for a
smoke (that is what smokers do), but not always.

* *This is, after all, a 14K house. I'm not going after the well heeled.
Got a couple of gay waiters so far...

* *Jeff

Gee a 14k house, what an outhouse with a view. Sounds like a great
Hood. I left off the "neighbor" because I bet there is little of
that.- Hide quoted text -

Well I had a rental for a good many years the lease stated clearly NO
SMOKING. What a filthy dirty stinky disquisting habit.

I attracted tenants who didnt like smoke stink.

With about 25% still smoking

The non smokers were attracted to my rental home

You CANT wash the odor of smoke or urine out of walls floors etc, let
alone air ducts and furnaces.

For soild surfaces first scrub well then prime with BIN or KILZ oil
based primer, for floors coat with outdoor polyurethane, its smelly
but wouldnt soften in moist weather. Have furnace guys clean and
deodorize all ductwork.

Then paint everything normally toss all carpeting and pad.

incidently this is what the fire restoration people do after a home
fire.

its costly and a ton of work but the only thing that truly works