Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dryer Vent

My electric dryer is installed up against the outside wall. I had to
fashion a vent since there is not room for a flexible hose.

This device looks like the perfect solution for my dryer situation, but
the online videos completely turn me off.

http://thequickconnector.com/

Has anyone here used one of these? Is there a better product? The appeal
of this unit is that the pipe protruding from the dryer slides into the
outlet vent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
My electric dryer is installed up against the outside wall. I had to
fashion a vent since there is not room for a flexible hose.

This device looks like the perfect solution for my dryer situation, but
the online videos completely turn me off.

http://thequickconnector.com/

Has anyone here used one of these? Is there a better product? The appeal
of this unit is that the pipe protruding from the dryer slides into the
outlet vent.

I made my own with 4 inch hard ducting one time. It's a pain to line up
unless you have wheels on your dryer. Then if it catches when lining it
up you push the outside piece out and you can go round and round. Then
every time you move the dryer you have to line it up and connect it
again. You KNOW it won't be perfectly aligned.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2010 7:22 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
My electric dryer is installed up against the outside wall. I had to
fashion a vent since there is not room for a flexible hose.

This device looks like the perfect solution for my dryer situation,
but the online videos completely turn me off.

http://thequickconnector.com/

Has anyone here used one of these? Is there a better product? The
appeal of this unit is that the pipe protruding from the dryer slides
into the outlet vent.

I watched the video and have to say that it sounds like a very sleazy
deal. For starters, the claim of $40 per month savings guaranteed is
just outrageous. In my area, even with very expensive electric rates
over 20 cents per KWH, I would have to save 200 KWH per month to achieve
their claimed savings. Since an extremely inefficient dryer could
consume approx 5 KW/H, you would need to REDUCE THE DRYING TIME BY 40
HRS PER MONTH to achieve this ridiculous claim. Absolutely, positively
impossible, and so very outrageous.

Second, the ad claims that these are $200 devices being offered for $29.95.

As best as I can tell, this device is nothing more than a collar /
adapter with some method of fastening. Since the video talks about using
a screwdriver to install, I can only assume that standard 4" diameter
hose clamps or a single clamp are involved.

The vent itself is not likely to be worth more than a few bucks at
places like Lowes or Home Depot, and assuming you already have a vent
installed on your outside wall, you only need some type of collar or
straight, short transitional piece to allow you to push the driver pipe
into the existing vent. I gotta' believe this is not a $30 part.

Maybe I am missing something here? These guys seem to offer quite a few

http://www.thefind.com/appliances/in...ard-dryer-vent

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote in :

mcp6453 wrote:
My electric dryer is installed up against the outside wall. I had to
fashion a vent since there is not room for a flexible hose.

This device looks like the perfect solution for my dryer situation,
but the online videos completely turn me off.

http://thequickconnector.com/

Has anyone here used one of these? Is there a better product? The
appeal of this unit is that the pipe protruding from the dryer slides
into the outlet vent.

I made my own with 4 inch hard ducting one time. It's a pain to line
up unless you have wheels on your dryer. Then if it catches when
lining it up you push the outside piece out and you can go round and
round. Then every time you move the dryer you have to line it up and
connect it again. You KNOW it won't be perfectly aligned.

In a future time this same As Seen on TV company will be selling a
flexible hose version (with some gimmick to make it different from
todays hoses). It will tout

- No longer a pain to line up
- Move your dryer without disconnecting anything!
- clean under your dryer EVEN WHILE IT"S RUNNING!!
- a $60,000 value for only 29.99
- But Wait! There's more!!
- Just pay separate processing and handling.
- yadda yadda
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message ...

- Just pay separate processing and handling.

That's where they getchya, they'll send you a second one for free and then
bill your card for S&H worth more than the price of whatever they're
selling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote
I watched the video and have to say that it sounds like a very sleazy
deal. For starters, the claim of $40 per month savings guaranteed is just
outrageous. In my area, even with very expensive electric rates over 20
cents per KWH, I would have to save 200 KWH per month to achieve their
claimed savings.

I'm going to order three of them. I figure I can buy an additional dryer
for $400 and hook it up and save $40 a month (paying for the dryer in 10
mos. ). With three, I'll save my entire electric bill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
My electric dryer is installed up against the outside wall. I had to
fashion a vent since there is not room for a flexible hose.

This device looks like the perfect solution for my dryer situation, but
the online videos completely turn me off.

http://thequickconnector.com/

Has anyone here used one of these? Is there a better product? The appeal
of this unit is that the pipe protruding from the dryer slides into the
outlet vent.

There is (was) a
better product if still available. I have one. It is a short accoridan
style. Rubber with 4 inch side to mount on dryer and 6 inch side to press
flat to wall. Allows for slight misalignment. I installed many of these when
I was doing appliance repair 50 years ago. Do some Google check and see if
still available. ww

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 4:22*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
My electric dryer is installed up against the outside wall. I had to
fashion a vent since there is not room for a flexible hose.

This device looks like the perfect solution for my dryer situation, but
the online videos completely turn me off.

http://thequickconnector.com/

Has anyone here used one of these? Is there a better product? The appeal
of this unit is that the pipe protruding from the dryer slides into the
outlet vent.

You’re very lucky that some idiot framer didn’t put the dryer vent
hole a foot off the floor where the vent could never be aligned using
a rigid duct. In my experience I have only seen about two percent of
installations that were so perfect that you didn’t need to use a
flexible duct, or maybe we have more idiot framers here in California.
You don’t need that Quickconnector. Just get some silicone lubricant
and spray the inside of the duct before installing it so that lint
doesn’t stick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Molly Brown wrote:

On Dec 16, 4:22*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
My electric dryer is installed up against the outside wall. I had to
fashion a vent since there is not room for a flexible hose.

This device looks like the perfect solution for my dryer situation, but
the online videos completely turn me off.

http://thequickconnector.com/

Has anyone here used one of these? Is there a better product? The appeal
of this unit is that the pipe protruding from the dryer slides into the
outlet vent.

You¹re very lucky that some idiot framer didn¹t put the dryer vent
hole a foot off the floor where the vent could never be aligned using
a rigid duct. In my experience I have only seen about two percent of
installations that were so perfect that you didn¹t need to use a
flexible duct, or maybe we have more idiot framers here in California.
You don¹t need that Quickconnector. Just get some silicone lubricant
and spray the inside of the duct before installing it so that lint
doesn¹t stick.

I finally replaced my 40-something year old dryer last month. The old
one had the vent opening near the top and corner, about 30" off the
floor. Hell of a lot easier to hook up than this new ******* with the
opening right on the damn deck, and right in the middle jammed up next
to the gas inlet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 8:53*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Smarty" wrote

I watched the video and have to say that it sounds like a very sleazy
deal. For starters, the claim of $40 per month savings guaranteed is just
outrageous. In my area, even with very expensive electric rates over 20
cents per KWH, I would have to save 200 KWH per month to achieve their
claimed savings.

I'm going to order three of them. *I figure I can buy an additional dryer
for $400 and hook it up and save $40 a month (paying for the dryer in 10
mos. ). With three, I'll save my entire electric bill.

Be careful, some people may not know you're joking (I hope).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 11:09*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

Exactly. It could be a good solution IF:

there already isn't a dryer vent hole in the wall in the wrong place
the hole location necessary isn't on top of a stud or has other
locating issues

Even then, assuming you get the hole correctly located, I can imagine
lining it up will be a challenge, at least in some locations. If you
have access
to the vent area from the side to align it, then it should be easy.
If it's
sliding back against a wall and you don't have good access to the
side, well
that's another story.

I also agree with those that have said the energy saving claims are
BS. To
function correctly a dryer needs to move a certain amount of air.
It's not at
all clear to me that moving more air is going to reduce energy usage.
If
you move more air, but the air is at a lower temperature, does that
really get
you anywhere? And a short length of flex behind a dryer is close to
the idea
situation the dryer is designed to work with. There are dryers that
work fine
being vented 15 feet away through vent pipe with all kinds of turns,
etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
LdB LdB is offline

On 12/16/2010 6:22 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
My electric dryer is installed up against the outside wall. I had to
fashion a vent since there is not room for a flexible hose.

This device looks like the perfect solution for my dryer situation,
but the online videos completely turn me off.

http://thequickconnector.com/

Has anyone here used one of these? Is there a better product? The
appeal of this unit is that the pipe protruding from the dryer slides
into the outlet vent.

I've got a 90 Deg elbow coming up behind the dryer. It lines up with
the dryer vent and essentially works the same as the vent in your
message. I have to wiggle the dryer into place but because of the
elbow, there is about 6 or 8" between the dryer and the wall. I can
see what is going on when I'm sliding the dryer into place. If the
dryer was right up against the wall it would probably be quite a trick
to get things lined up perfectly.

As for the video, snake oil.

LdB
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 02:28:59 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

LSMFT wrote in :

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

Kit:

http://www.lemurzone.com/rfg/wp-cont...970c-800wi.jpg

Includes duct tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 02:28:59 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

LSMFT wrote in
:

mcp6453 wrote:
[...]

http://www.lemurzone.com/rfg/wp-cont...237e469e201156
e3495e8970c-800wi.jpg

Includes duct tape.

Engineering wizardy. Is that a cap from a Modern Marvels episode?

Dryer vent GWB Home Repair 6 September 29th 07 08:34 AM
Dryer vent Chas12 Home Repair 32 December 22nd 05 02:29 PM
dryer vent [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 20th 05 10:15 PM
new Maytag dryer clogs dryer vent shedmeister Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 09:40 PM