Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore dryer. Flame goes out after a few minutes and will not reignite.

I have a Kenmore 76912692 dryer. After complaints about wet clothes after
drying, I did a quick check of the flame, it was working, then I cleaned out
all the accumulated lint. I reassembled the unit and powered it on. The
flame came on as it did before. But I sat there and watched it and after
about 5 minutes, the flame shut off. Ok, the thermostat did its job. A few
minutes later, the igniter glows orange, but the flame doesn't light. This
happens repeatedly. The flame will only light when you initially start the
dryer and once it goes off, it will not reignite. I checked the solenoid
windings and they are good. Any ideas?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Farber wrote:
I have a Kenmore 76912692 dryer. After complaints about wet clothes
after drying, I did a quick check of the flame, it was working, then
I cleaned out all the accumulated lint. I reassembled the unit and
powered it on. The flame came on as it did before. But I sat there
and watched it and after about 5 minutes, the flame shut off. Ok, the
thermostat did its job. A few minutes later, the igniter glows
orange, but the flame doesn't light. This happens repeatedly. The
flame will only light when you initially start the dryer and once it
goes off, it will not reignite. I checked the solenoid windings and
they are good. Any ideas?
Thanks for your reply.

That model number should be: 110.76912692 7692

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/16/2010 14:03, David Farber wrote:
... The flame will only light when you initially start the
dryer and once it goes off, it will not reignite. I checked the solenoid
windings and they are good. Any ideas?

The valve coils are defective. They're fine when cold but fail once
they warm up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:
On 12/16/2010 14:03, David Farber wrote:
... The flame will only light when you initially start the
dryer and once it goes off, it will not reignite. I checked the
solenoid windings and they are good. Any ideas?

The valve coils are defective. They're fine when cold but fail once
they warm up.

Yep.

Here's a how-to
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...ck/gascoil.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Bob wrote:
On 12/16/2010 14:03, David Farber wrote:
... The flame will only light when you initially start the
dryer and once it goes off, it will not reignite. I checked the
solenoid windings and they are good. Any ideas?

The valve coils are defective. They're fine when cold but fail once
they warm up.

Yep.

Here's a how-to
http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...ck/gascoil.php

I replaced the coils and that fixed it. I must say that it wasn't very easy
to get to or remove the screws that secure the coils in place. Why use
Phillips screws when you can get much more torque on a hex screw?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA