Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water and sand flowing into perimeter drain, bad?

I've been reading other posts regarding perimeter drains trying
to figure out what I should do. My house is under a year old and
still under the builders warranty.
The house is built on a slight incline from front to back. At the
front of the house is a farmers porch with a bunch of sand under it.
During one of our fall rainstorms a lot of water went under the porch
and into the drain taking a whole bunch of the sand with it and
leaving a hole about a foot or two under the porch. The sand was
replaced and made higher so that the water wouldn't pool there. How
bad is this? Is the drainage system ruined now?
Also, there is a drainage pipe out in our backyard but I've never
seen any water come out of it. Would the water under the house need
to get to a certain level before it starts to drain out? I don't know
how much water might be under the house. I do know that when we had a
radon system put in the guy said there was a good amount of crushed
stone under the house.
My builders warranty will be up soon so any comments would be
appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 10:09*am, Techsuperstar wrote:
[...]

Is it a drain system with perforated pipe, if it wasnt installed right
it might be clogged with sand and worthless now. There is a right way
to do it to code. I have one thats near 100 years old and flows like
the day it was installed. For sand a plastic sock probably should have
been used to keep out sand. You need to dig up a section to see its
condition, how it was installed and protected from sand, and consult a
few real engineering pros and talk to a lawyer. You need to get on
record before that warranty expires.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 12:17*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

record before that warranty expires.- Hide quoted text -

It's not clear exactly what drainage system we're talking about. Is
it installed under the porch at grade level to divert water away from
the house? Or are we talking about the drain system installed by the
footers at the base of the foundation? If it's that latter, it's 9
ft away from the area under the porch and I don't see how sand from up
at grade level could ever get into it.

Also, whatever drain pipe emerges from the ground would have to be
from either some surface drain, gutters, etc or else if the house has
a basement, it would have to be on one hell of a slope.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 12:32*pm, wrote:
[...]

a basement, it would have to be on one hell of a slope.- Hide quoted text -

Hmm.. I'm not too familiar with it all. It's definately less than 9ft
away from the house, more like 3 or 4ft. The drain is in the ground
( I don't know how deep). It was just scary to see a whirlpool of
water about 3ft in diameter going down into the ground right next to
the house. I'm going to try to find out more from the builder soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 16, 2:19*pm, Techsuperstar wrote:
On Dec 16, 12:32*pm, wrote:

[...]

the house. *I'm going to try to find out more from the builder soon.- Hide quoted text -

The 9ft was referring to the distance below ground where drains at the
foundation footers would be. If the builder's warranty is about to
run out,
I'd suggest you find a competent home inspector to find out what
exactly
is going on.

Slow Flowing Drain Debbie Home Repair 7 September 1st 10 04:09 AM
Water guard perimeter drain system Bumpy Home Repair 2 October 17th 07 11:15 PM
Perimeter drain on top of footer? Howie Home Repair 3 January 6th 07 07:19 PM
Perimeter drain tile questions Howie Home Repair 5 December 28th 06 04:30 PM
Perimeter drain water level Kika Home Repair 3 November 28th 05 08:03 PM