Posted to alt.home.repair
Kika

Default Perimeter drain water level

I have a perimeter drain installed around the house I just bought. One
outlet of the pipe is exposed in front of the house long a slope that
goes away from the house, the other is way back in the yard, away from
the house. So far so good.

What I have noticed is that there is always standing water in the pipe.
The water level is about an inch away from the entrance of the outlet
is both places.

Is this normal?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"Kika" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a perimeter drain installed around the house I just bought. One
outlet of the pipe is exposed in front of the house long a slope that
goes away from the house, the other is way back in the yard, away from
the house. So far so good.

What I have noticed is that there is always standing water in the pipe.
The water level is about an inch away from the entrance of the outlet
is both places.

Is this normal?

Yes

The pipe interior is cooler than the outside air, condensation will occur.
You have a French Drain installed there was a reason for it to be there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kika

Thank you for your response.

But is it normal to have the pipe full of water upto within 1 inch off
the outlet which faces upwards towards the sky even when there has been
no rain in the last few days?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kika wrote:
Thank you for your response.

But is it normal to have the pipe full of water upto within 1 inch off
the outlet which faces upwards towards the sky even when there has been
no rain in the last few days?

I'm not sure I have a good mental image of your system, but it doesn't
sound good. If your pipes are holding water, guess what happens when
things freeze. It also causes sediment and debris to build up.

Drainage to daylight is a good idea that is easy to clean out, but it
should be at the lowest point so that water doesn't get trapped.

Here are two options:

1) Somehow move the outlet to an elevation lower than the rest of your
system, maintaining about a 1/4" drop per every foot or two.

2.) Find the low spot in your drainage system and put in a seepage
system (holes in pipe bottom with gravel and landscape fabric) with
access for manual cleanout as debris will collect there. Just make
sure that water is draining in a safe location.

It might also help to investigate a pop-up water emitter to keep
critters out of your drainage system.

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Basement Water Despite Sump Pump DaveR Home Repair 12 April 4th 05 03:47 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Water heater pressure relief value drip Remove dots from userid to reply Home Repair 29 May 17th 04 07:46 PM