Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Water and sand flowing into perimeter drain, bad?

On Dec 16, 10:09*am, Techsuperstar wrote:
* * *I've been reading other posts regarding perimeter drains trying
to figure out what I should do. *My house is under a year old and
still under the builders warranty.
* * *The house is built on a slight incline from front to back. At the
front of the house is a farmers porch with a bunch of sand under it.
During one of our fall rainstorms a lot of water went under the porch
and into the drain taking a whole bunch of the sand with it and
leaving a hole about a foot or two under the porch. *The sand was
replaced and made higher so that the water wouldn't pool there. *How
bad is this? *Is the drainage system ruined now?
* * *Also, there is a drainage pipe out in our backyard but I've never
seen any water come out of it. *Would the water under the house need
to get to a certain level before it starts to drain out? *I don't know
how much water might be under the house. *I do know that when we had a
radon system put in the guy said there was a good amount of crushed
stone under the house.
* * *My builders warranty will be up soon so any comments would be
appreciated.

Is it a drain system with perforated pipe, if it wasnt installed right
it might be clogged with sand and worthless now. There is a right way
to do it to code. I have one thats near 100 years old and flows like
the day it was installed. For sand a plastic sock probably should have
been used to keep out sand. You need to dig up a section to see its
condition, how it was installed and protected from sand, and consult a
few real engineering pros and talk to a lawyer. You need to get on
record before that warranty expires.