Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Post Reno Cleanup Moaning

The house is full of dust, even inside cabinets and closets. Sawdust
and drywall compound I would guess. I've had post-reno messes
before, but they generally cleaned up ok. Don't know what was
different about this project - used poly drapes, mats, changed shoes
at the entry to the work area, etc.

Any suggestions, rules of thumb, etc for getting rid of this stuff?
Is a shopvac better or worse than the central vac?

If it was warmer out I'd open all the windows and hope for a really
windy day!

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

"WandererFan" wrote.
Any suggestions, rules of thumb, etc for getting rid of this stuff?
Is a shopvac better or worse than the central vac?

Shop Vac with the HEPA filter. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 5:47*pm, WandererFan wrote:
The house is full of dust, even inside cabinets and closets. *Sawdust
and drywall compound I would guess. * I've had post-reno messes
before, but they generally cleaned up ok. * Don't know what was
different about this project - used poly drapes, mats, changed shoes
at the entry to the work area, etc.

Any suggestions, rules of thumb, etc for getting rid of this stuff?
Is a shopvac better or worse than the central vac?

If it was warmer out I'd open all the windows and hope for a really
windy day!

Chris

Ha! I'm in the same boat after drywalling my new master suite. The
whole time I have had plastic sheeting up over closed doors and with
the hvac return sealed up. Sure, that stopped a lot of it, but there
is white dust everywhere. It must hang in the air for a while and
then escape when we open doors, even momentarily. It's very
lightweight and using the vacuum cleaner won't get all of it up when
you try to clean. My Mrs has gotten through a ton of dusters, polish
and those swiffer things. Part of our daily routine when leaving the
house is to switch the compressor on (which we moved to the exit door)
and spend five minutes blowing the dust off our clothes. Be sure to
change your furnace filter. Even with the return sealed mine was
caked in drywall dust after a couple of weeks of sanding.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 3:47 PM WandererFan spake thus:

The house is full of dust, even inside cabinets and closets. Sawdust
and drywall compound I would guess. I've had post-reno messes
before, but they generally cleaned up ok. Don't know what was
different about this project - used poly drapes, mats, changed shoes
at the entry to the work area, etc.

Whoops. When I saw your subject line I thought "What? A tornado came
through Reno?".

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/
Posted to alt.home.repair

cubby wrote:

On Dec 7, 5:47*pm, WandererFan wrote:
The house is full of dust, even inside cabinets and closets. *Sawdust
and drywall compound I would guess.

-snip-

Too late this time-- but these gadgets really work-
"Marshalltown Vacuum Drywall Sander "
http://www.amazon.com/Marshalltown-V.../dp/B000VXBYPQ
looks better than the one I got at Lowes several years ago.

Mine has a less ergonomic handle-- and it has metal tabs that hold the
sanding 'screens'. About twice a day I touch one after it gets a
full charge of static & it feels like someone is pulling my arm off.

But after 1 hour of sanding [my limit] my forearms aren't even dusty.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Any suggestions, rules of thumb, etc for getting rid of this stuff?
Is a shopvac better or worse than the central vac?

I totally misinterpreted your subject line, I figured "Post Reno Cleanup
Moaning" had to refer to the aftermath of a wild weekend in the poor man's
Las Vegas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 8:50*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
Any suggestions, rules of thumb, etc for getting rid of this stuff?
Is a shopvac better or worse than the central vac?

I totally misinterpreted your subject line, I figured "Post Reno Cleanup
Moaning" had to refer to the aftermath of a wild weekend in the poor man's
Las Vegas.

I've got the "poor" part down pat. Wild weekends are a distant memory
(I think).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 7:18*pm, cubby wrote:

le snip

*Part of our daily routine when leaving the
house is to switch the compressor on (which we moved to the exit door)
and spend five minutes blowing the dust off our clothes. *Be sure to
change your furnace filter. *Even with the return sealed mine was
caked in drywall dust after a couple of weeks of sanding.

I blipped the trigger on the blow gun the other day and a huge white
cloud rose up around me. Wonder if I could use the compressor to
raise the dust and then something else to suck it out of the air?
Probably never get enough CFM or inches of vacuum or whatever.

The furnace filter is on the list!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 8:23 PM, WandererFan wrote:
On Dec 7, 7:18 pm, wrote:

le snip

Part of our daily routine when leaving the
house is to switch the compressor on (which we moved to the exit door)
and spend five minutes blowing the dust off our clothes. Be sure to
change your furnace filter. Even with the return sealed mine was
caked in drywall dust after a couple of weeks of sanding.

I blipped the trigger on the blow gun the other day and a huge white
cloud rose up around me. Wonder if I could use the compressor to
raise the dust and then something else to suck it out of the air?
Probably never get enough CFM or inches of vacuum or whatever.

The furnace filter is on the list!

You could get a cheap box fan and a 2" thick pleated furnace filter
the same dimensions as the fan. Duct tape the filter to the fan where
the air is drawn in and let it run before and after you blow the dust
off everything. You could assemble a couple per room and let them blow
the air in a circle. I designed a stand alone air filter cabinet for a
printing company years ago that used cascading air filters of increasing
density to help remove paper dust from the air.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 9:35*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 12/7/2010 8:23 PM, WandererFan wrote:

On Dec 7, 7:18 pm, *wrote:

le snip
[...]

I put fans in several windows in distant parts of the house blowing in
so the house is pressurized. Then I keep the windows open in the room
where I am sanding, even taking out the screens if possible. All the
dust goes out the window and makes a mess outside, but it keeps the
dust from getting into other rooms,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 10:53 PM, hr(bob) wrote:
On Dec 7, 9:35 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 12/7/2010 8:23 PM, WandererFan wrote:

On Dec 7, 7:18 pm, wrote:

le snip
[...]

Excellent idea and execution there of.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

WandererFan wrote the following:
The house is full of dust, even inside cabinets and closets. Sawdust
and drywall compound I would guess. I've had post-reno messes
before, but they generally cleaned up ok. Don't know what was
different about this project - used poly drapes, mats, changed shoes
at the entry to the work area, etc.

Any suggestions, rules of thumb, etc for getting rid of this stuff?
Is a shopvac better or worse than the central vac?

If it was warmer out I'd open all the windows and hope for a really
windy day!

Chris

Central vacuum is better since the exhausted air is piped outside the house.
..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 7, 5:47*pm, WandererFan wrote:
The house is full of dust, even inside cabinets and closets. *Sawdust
and drywall compound I would guess. * I've had post-reno messes
before, but they generally cleaned up ok. * Don't know what was
different about this project - used poly drapes, mats, changed shoes
at the entry to the work area, etc.

Any suggestions, rules of thumb, etc for getting rid of this stuff?
Is a shopvac better or worse than the central vac?

If it was warmer out I'd open all the windows and hope for a really
windy day!

Chris

For years I have used a Magna Sander and shopvac on drywall projects
with so little dust that putting up plastic curtains is necessary only
in extreme cases. The M-S is a water trap in a 5 gallon bucket that
keeps the mess totally confined and the screen sander with the vacuum
attached makes sanding far less laborious.
Pros don't bother with devices like this because they are so skilled
at putting down only the precisely needed amount of mud that sanding
isn't even needed with the usual texturing. Check out some YouTube
videos of how the experts do their work. Very enlightening.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:47:57 -0800 (PST), WandererFan
wrote:

Any suggestions, rules of thumb, etc for getting rid of this stuff?
Is a shopvac better or worse than the central vac?

You're going to install a central vac just for this one clean-up?

How long and how much money will that take?

The advantage of a central vac is convenience, not that it works
better than others

When I sanded my large dining room floor, I put a junk 21" fan (from
the trash) in the window and blew out all the time. An hour after I
finished sanding the fan "burned" up. It took care of most of the
dust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:47:57 -0800 (PST), WandererFan
wrote:

stuff snipped

The advantage of a central vac is convenience, not that it works
better than others

They actually do clean better because the motor is usually much larger than
found on most portable vacuums, thus providing more suction. You don't have
to drag the motor and dirt bag along with you as you clean, either.

The most important reason a central vac is better than portable vacuums is
that all the air is exhausted remotely from the dirty room. This means that
the exhaust does not blow the dirt into the air you are breathing while you
are vacuuming. Anyone with allergies or asthma can use a central vacuum
even though they may not be able to use a portable one because of all the
dust kicked up while cleaning.

Oh, and the fourth advantage is that the noise of the motor is usually quite
remote and you can listen to the TV or someone conversing with you as you
clean. Most people that I know who have installed central vacs wouldn't go
back to portable units.

--
Bobby G.