Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keypad deadbolt locks info

Can anyone provided feedback on the keypad deadbolt locks for a home.
What brand name is better?
What names to avoid.
Will they working in the winter?

Thanks
Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 7, 1:01*pm, Murph wrote:
Can anyone provided feedback on the keypad deadbolt locks for a home.
What brand name is better?
What names to avoid.
Will they working in the winter?

Thanks
Dave

For the real skinny, talk to a local locksmith. Some have good lock
sets for sale at with decent prices with the advantage of having an
expert on your side if there is a glitch. Around here, the pros use
Schlage a lot, Kwikset not so much. Look over their stock, ask
questions and you'll likely come out ahead $$.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Murph typed:
Can anyone provided feedback on the keypad deadbolt locks
for a home. What brand name is better?
What names to avoid.
Will they working in the winter?

Thanks
Dave

You've gotten good advice so far. Let me add though, that these 3-digit code
locks are often very easy to beat in a short time for the right persons. 4
digits is better, the more the better, all in the mechanical arena.
In the electronic arena, you then open yourself to devices that can often
beat the lock in just a few minutes; In the locked position, most
manufacturers I've looked at at least, leave ALL the leads open circuited,
meaning electromagnetics can be used to zip thru codes quickly until the
right one is found.
A good lock costs $$ and needs to be researched. Don't skimp unless all
you want is something to keep honest people honest and it's not the only
"security" lock on the door. You almost always have at least the doorknob
lock too, but adding a deadbolt is a nice touch.

We have a mechanical combo lock. We use it only for quick entry because we
don't need to fumble with a key. Anytime it's locked for security, there is
another additional dead-bolt lock plus the door knob lock, making the door
quite hard to shoulder through should one try. Oh, plus an infrared motion
detector.

HTH,

Twayne`

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 2:01*pm, Murph wrote:
Can anyone provided feedback on the keypad deadbolt locks for a home.
What brand name is better?
What names to avoid.
Will they working in the winter?

Thanks
Dave

I have one of these and love it.

http://www.kwikset.com/Products/Deta...09-15-SMT.aspx

There's a 5 digit code required to unlock the door and a single button
to lock it.

Is it infallible? I don't know...but it's better than our old lock
which was such a pain that we usually just walked away and left the
deadbolt unlocked.

I also have a keypad for my garage door opener which I also love. I
haven't carried a house key in 20 years.

I don't understand people that carry around a 5 pound key-mass with 35
keys on multiple rings, 12 shopper's club tags, a flashlight and a 5-
in-1 tool.

I carry my key-fob for the remote starter and the ignition key. That's
it. Any other keys I need (my trailer, the front door, the back door,
my wife's car, etc.) are all under the front seat of my car or I have
spares at home. For the rare times I need them, I pull them out. I've
never been without what I need, when I needed it, but I don't need to
carry them around all the time.

I know guys that carry the keys to their summer cabins, including the
lock on the driveway gate, the cabin, the (empty) gun cabinet, etc.
It's like they're suddenly going to find themselves 6 hours from home
and need to get into the cabin.

Ah, but I digress.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I don't understand people that carry around a 5 pound key-mass with 35
keys on multiple rings, 12 shopper's club tags, a flashlight and a 5-
in-1 tool.

Hey! Quit spying on me. I carry all those keys because it's impossible to
lose them. If they fall out of my pocket it sounds like the anchor of a
battleship slapping the hull.

I was considering a push button lock but the problem is they're pretty easy
to overcome by observation and inspection. The frequently used keys show a
wear pattern and someone looking over your shoulder can easily see what code
you punched in.

I had my telephoto lens with me the other day when we were in line for the
drive up teller and it was a piece of cake to see what numbers people
punched into the drive up ATM window. There was no shielding of any kind.

If I did go to an electronic front door lock, I'd select one that used a
special remote or electronic key. It would be great if I could assign a
button on my car key fob to unlock the front door, but I haven't found
anything like that yet.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2010 07:32 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

There's something called a "scramblepad" which uses LED numerical
displays behind the keys, so that every time the lock is used, the
numbers are in different positions on the pad, so observing wear
patterns and finger motion will not help.

As with all such products, they are not cheap.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

Oh, just get a subcutaneous transponder chip implanted, and fit the
door with a reader, and be done with it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 7:32*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
[...]

the burglar casing your home its easiest to break one window open it
and climb in........

far better than endless screwing around with door locks......
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oh, just get a subcutaneous transponder chip *implanted, and fit the
door with a reader, and be done with it.

--
aem sends

the feds will be requiring that shortly as positive ID for every
american.

no chip detected as you walk by will be cause for futher investigation

as a plus it will make credit, debit, and door locks very convenient
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 12:09:22 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/12/2010 10:46 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 02:16:52 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/12/2010 1:47 AM, aemeijers wrote:
On 12/11/2010 8:37 PM,
wrote:

Oh, just get a subcutaneous transponder chip implanted, and fit the
door with a reader, and be done with it.

--
aem sends

the feds will be requiring that shortly as positive ID for every
american.

no chip detected as you walk by will be cause for futher investigation

as a plus it will make credit, debit, and door locks very convenient

If you are one of the rare people who is allergic to the implant, you
will become a non-person and have to join the anti-government
underground group 999 who's members carry out EMP attacks on government
ID installations "IDlations" across the country. :-o

TDD
Nah, they have alternative versions contained in ear tags and riveted
collars. Plus there is always the retro-look ankle style.

Bar code tattoo? Back of the neck or forehead? Hey! I know, on
your tongue! :-)

I was going to say on the arm but I suppose everyone will have one of those.

There are kids running around with a bar code on the back of their neck
like those from the SciFi TV series "Dark Angel". It would so funny if
the bar codes they were getting indicated they were trash bags or some
feminine hygiene product. :-)

Condoms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think that "Jennifer Government" predates the TV series but I wouldn't
swear to it.

nate