Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Keypad deadbolt locks info

On 12/11/2010 7:53 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 12/11/2010 07:32 PM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

stuff snipped

I don't understand people that carry around a 5 pound key-mass with 35
keys on multiple rings, 12 shopper's club tags, a flashlight and a 5-
in-1 tool.

Hey! Quit spying on me. I carry all those keys because it's impossible to
lose them. If they fall out of my pocket it sounds like the anchor of a
battleship slapping the hull.

I was considering a push button lock but the problem is they're pretty
easy
to overcome by observation and inspection. The frequently used keys
show a
wear pattern and someone looking over your shoulder can easily see
what code
you punched in.

I had my telephoto lens with me the other day when we were in line for
the
drive up teller and it was a piece of cake to see what numbers people
punched into the drive up ATM window. There was no shielding of any kind.

If I did go to an electronic front door lock, I'd select one that used a
special remote or electronic key. It would be great if I could assign a
button on my car key fob to unlock the front door, but I haven't found
anything like that yet.

--
Bobby G.

There's something called a "scramblepad" which uses LED numerical
displays behind the keys, so that every time the lock is used, the
numbers are in different positions on the pad, so observing wear
patterns and finger motion will not help.

As with all such products, they are not cheap.

nate

Oh, just get a subcutaneous transponder chip implanted, and fit the
door with a reader, and be done with it.

--
aem sends...