Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet tide?

I call it toilet tide, but what is it when the level in the toilet
drops an inch or so? It is the atmospheric pressure, wind blowing
across the vent tube creating a little more vacuum, clogged vent, low
water in the back, or something else? It's no big deal, just curious.

Hank

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 7, 1:24*pm, Rose wrote:
On Dec 7, 11:30*am, Hank wrote:

I call it toilet tide, but what is it when the level in the toilet
drops an inch or so? It is the atmospheric pressure, wind blowing
across the vent tube creating a little more vacuum, clogged vent, low
water in the back, or something else? It's no big deal, just curious.

Hank

Do you have a dog?

How large is your dog?

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/7/2010 3:58 PM, Joe wrote:
On Dec 7, 1:24 pm, wrote:
On Dec 7, 11:30 am, wrote:

I call it toilet tide, but what is it when the level in the toilet
drops an inch or so? It is the atmospheric pressure, wind blowing
across the vent tube creating a little more vacuum, clogged vent, low
water in the back, or something else? It's no big deal, just curious.

Hank

Do you have a dog?

How large is your dog?

And what is he wearing right now?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 5:14*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 10:30:24 -0800 (PST), Hank
wrote:

I call it toilet tide, but what is it when the level in the toilet
drops an inch or so? It is the atmospheric pressure, wind blowing
across the vent tube creating a little more vacuum, clogged vent, low
water in the back, or something else? It's no big deal, just curious.

Hank

It is virtually always vent related. You may have enough wind in the
vent to "rock" the water out or you may have bad venting allowing
water retreating from another source to suck the water out.

First to all, I don't have any animals.

Second, I can dump a half gallon of water into the toilet and the
level stays up. The water level in the tank has been consistant. There
is a minor wind of maybe 10 mph. The house is about 5 years old, but I
guess there could still some obstruction but the other 2 toilets seem
ok.

Hank ~~~ wants to elevate to a higher level :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

wrote:

[...]

Mine have always done that with a strong intermittent wind blowing. I
think it's pressure related - the wind blowing across the vent pipe
sucks the air from the pipe, causing lower pressure in the pipe than
in the house. The water tries to move to the lower pressure. Then
the air rushes back into the vent pipe, causing the water to return to
it's normal level. The result is minor wave action.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Joe wrote:

On Dec 7, 1:24*pm, Rose wrote:
On Dec 7, 11:30*am, Hank wrote:

I call it toilet tide, but what is it when the level in the toilet
drops an inch or so? It is the atmospheric pressure, wind blowing
across the vent tube creating a little more vacuum, clogged vent, low
water in the back, or something else? It's no big deal, just curious.

Hank

Do you have a dog?

How large is your dog?

Joe

Not my dog.

Still the pressure and vent effect was very new to me.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 4:58*pm, Joe wrote:
le snip

Do you have a dog?

How large is your dog?

Joe

Zat is not ma dog!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most likely. Figure it out. Atmospheric pressure is approximately 14
psi, enough to lift a column of water 32 feet. If my math is correct as
little as 0.05 psi pressure differential could move the water over an inch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 5:49*pm, WandererFan wrote:
On Dec 7, 4:58*pm, Joe wrote:

le snip

Do you have a dog?

How large is your dog?

Joe

Zat is not ma dog!

Does your durg bite?

(am I right with that reference?)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 7:47*pm, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

One test is to watch the water level as someone dumps a 5 gallon
bucket of water in the other toilets or drain the kitchen sink.
Even in a perfect system you might see some ripples in the water but
if the vent is plugged you might see another toilet damn near get
sucked dry.-

I'll try that to see what happens.

Thanks,

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 7, 1:30*pm, Hank wrote:
I call it toilet tide, but what is it when the level in the toilet
drops an inch or so? It is the atmospheric pressure, wind blowing
across the vent tube creating a little more vacuum, clogged vent, low
water in the back, or something else? It's no big deal, just curious.

Hank

For our toilets, If I need a complete flush, I need to hold down the
handle until the bowl clears. Then the fill up takes the longest time
and the bowl fills to the max (probably more but the excess drains
through).

Sometimes I'm in a hurry and don't hold down the handle long enough.
The bowl mostly flushes but sometimes not even completely. Either
way, with less water to replace in the tank, the fill takes less time,
and the bowl doesn't quite fill up as described above.

John