Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tool to toilet water inlet pipe nipple

Hi All,

I am calling that round compression ring thing that goes
over your toilet's inlet water pipe (1/2" copper?) a nipple.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

Question, how do I get the nipple off when I go to change
the water valve? The old nut is all stripped out and drips
and can't be tightened any more without ripping something.

There is tool for everything, there must be a tool for this?
Or, should I breakdown and just call a plumber?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/6/2010 8:16 PM Todd spake thus:

I am calling that round compression ring thing that goes
over your toilet's inlet water pipe (1/2" copper?) a nipple.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

Question, how do I get the nipple off when I go to change
the water valve? The old nut is all stripped out and drips
and can't be tightened any more without ripping something.

There is tool for everything, there must be a tool for this?
Or, should I breakdown and just call a plumber?

I'm a little unclear here. You have a copper pipe between the shutoff
valve and toilet? Another question: are you in the U.S.?

I'd say the best solution would be to discard the metal pipe and get an
ordinary flex connector between valve and toilet. Much less likely to
leak in the future. It should screw onto both valve and inlet to the
toilet's flush valve.

Unless I'm missing something here ...

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/06/2010 09:46 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/6/2010 8:16 PM Todd spake thus:

I am calling that round compression ring thing that goes
over your toilet's inlet water pipe (1/2" copper?) a nipple.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

Question, how do I get the nipple off when I go to change
the water valve? The old nut is all stripped out and drips
and can't be tightened any more without ripping something.

There is tool for everything, there must be a tool for this?
Or, should I breakdown and just call a plumber?

I'm a little unclear here. You have a copper pipe between the shutoff
valve and toilet?

No, between the water supply and the cutoff valve.

Another question: are you in the U.S.?

yes

Unless I'm missing something here ...

Wrong side of the valve. Sorry for not being more clear.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 8:16*pm, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

I am calling that round compression ring thing that goes
over your toilet's inlet water pipe (1/2" copper?) a nipple.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

Question, how do I get the nipple off when I go to change
the water valve? *The old nut is all stripped out and drips
and can't be tightened any more without ripping something.

There is tool for everything, there must be a tool for this?
Or, should I breakdown and just call a plumber?

Many thanks,
-T

It's called a ferrule and you need a ferrule puller.

Or very gently squeeze it with long nose pliers to make round again &
slide it off.

Or very, very carefully cut it with a hacksaw (or a Dremel) at a 45
deg angle (don't score the tube) and break it off.

When you install the new valve (use a 1/4 turn valve) use some pipe
dope (I know, they;re supposed to me metal on metal but teflon paste
helps)
Don't over tighten.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 10:04*pm, Todd wrote:
On 12/06/2010 09:46 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 12/6/2010 8:16 PM Todd spake thus:

I am calling that round compression ring thing that goes
over your toilet's inlet water pipe (1/2" copper?) a nipple.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

Question, how do I get the nipple off when I go to change
the water valve? The old nut is all stripped out and drips
and can't be tightened any more without ripping something.

There is tool for everything, there must be a tool for this?
Or, should I breakdown and just call a plumber?

I'm a little unclear here. You have a copper pipe between the shutoff
valve and toilet?

No, between the water supply and the cutoff valve.

Another question: are you in the U.S.?

yes

Unless I'm missing something here ...

Wrong side of the valve. *Sorry for not being more clear.

Todd-

" cutoff valve. " often referred to as an "angle stop" or
shutoff valve

getting the vocabulary right is half the battle.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

A nipple is a length of pipe (any where from 1 inch to however many
feet).

The ring that goes with a compression fitting is a ferrule. The old
ferrule cannot be reused. The new valve will come with one. They are
also sold separately (batteries not included, ha ha).

Please go talk to the plumbing people at your small town hardware
store. They will probably suggest you change the angle valve, lead in
tube, and also the fill valve for the toilet. Probably less than $40
in parts, and well worth it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am calling that round compression ring thing that goes
over your toilet's inlet water pipe (1/2" copper?) a nipple.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

Question, how do I get the nipple off when I go to change
the water valve? The old nut is all stripped out and drips
and can't be tightened any more without ripping something.

There is tool for everything, there must be a tool for this?
Or, should I breakdown and just call a plumber?

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

A nipple is a length of pipe (any where from 1 inch to however many
feet).

So a 20' pipe is a nipple? A 7/8" pipe is not a nipple?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Todd wrote in :

Hi All,

I am calling that round compression ring thing that goes
over your toilet's inlet water pipe (1/2" copper?) a nipple.
If I am wrong, please correct me.

Question, how do I get the nipple off when I go to change
the water valve? The old nut is all stripped out and drips
and can't be tightened any more without ripping something.

There is tool for everything, there must be a tool for this?
Or, should I breakdown and just call a plumber?

Many thanks,
-T

Is this what you are talking about?

http://hisandhersdiy.com/wp-content/...valve-ring.jpg

From: http://hisandhersdiy.com/how-to-inst...hut-off-valve/

If so, usually you cut the pipe (using tubing cutter or metal saw blade)
beyond the compression fitting, debur and clean and install a new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtLd9BmPbe8

Sometimes cutting it off makes the pipe so short you don't have enough
to work with for a new ring. You may not be fond of what I would do in
that case if you don't want to sweat pipe.

I would extend the pipe by putting a coupling on the short
wall piece

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/2031894...r_coupling.jpg

and put a short piece of new pipe to the other end of the coupling for
the new compression valve.