Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Panasonic Viera TV ****-up

Any recommendations for a good, solid, non-crazy TV NG?

I am royally ****ed with the new 32" I bought through Amazon. My
SMART neighbor helped me set it up.
Yes, we have all the plugs in the right places.

I want to return it, but am afraid to check the cost w/post office,
FedEx, etc.

Weird!!! Have to dance between #1. old remote from Verizon, and
#2. new remote from Panasonic.

Here's what happened:

We were having trouble installing/receiving/channels on the
Panasonic. So friend suggested bypassing the Verizon box ($15.99/mo
rental) because the new TV has its own receiver.

Result:

#2. Panasonic remote; Will govern Volume and Mute, but does not have
the handy Information button (tells you what's playing, e.g. with
movies, date, subject, stars, etc.) ***Most important:*** Will NOT
change channels or allow channel input with keys. We read through the
manual umpty times, but never found a way to acquire channels. Can
it be possible that one has to add channels one by one, for a total of
500+?

(BTW, The Panasonic remote looks and acts cheesy compared to the old
remote.)

So we reinstalled the Verizon box:

Result:

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
govern Volume, Mute or a great function: instant taping while program
is on (press the red button). These and some other functions are
disabled.

I have tried to find answers on the Panasonic sites, but no luck as
yet

So if anybody here has a clue, would like to hear from you.

And/or if anybody knows a reliable, no-nonsense NG where I could post
my dilemma, please post.

1000 thanks!

HB

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
govern Volume, Mute or a great function: instant taping while program
is on (press the red button). These and some other functions are
disabled.

I have tried to find answers on the Panasonic sites, but no luck as
yet

Don't get ****ed at your TV, get ****ed at the neighbor. If you want to
take advantage of what comes out of the wire from most any cable or sat
company, you need their box. The TV receivers will get the OTA and maybe
basic cable, but little else and they won't record shows for you.

Step one is to check the manual to see if you can just set everything back
to factory settings. You can probably do that with the Verizon remote also.

Next is to set the TV input to the proper setting. You may be set up for
OTA when you need to get the signal from the cable box. If you are using an
HDMI cable, set it to HDMI1

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
[...]

It's ok to be ****ed at Panasonic or any other Matsu****a brand. They
load products with all sorts of bells and whistles, but don't bother to
actually test and debug them.

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
govern Volume, Mute or a great function: instant taping while program
is on (press the red button). *These and some other functions are
disabled.

I have tried to find answers on the Panasonic sites, but no luck as
yet

So if anybody here has a clue, would like to hear from you.

And/or if anybody knows a reliable, no-nonsense NG where I could post
my dilemma, please post.

1000 thanks!

HB

Call tech support monday they will walk you through it.

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
[...]

You will probably have to re-program the cable remote to work with
that model TV.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
govern Volume, Mute or a great function: instant taping while program
is on (press the red button). These and some other functions are
disabled.

I have tried to find answers on the Panasonic sites, but no luck as
yet

So if anybody here has a clue, would like to hear from you.

And/or if anybody knows a reliable, no-nonsense NG where I could post
my dilemma, please post.

1000 thanks!

HB

I don't think it's you or the neighbor, or the Verizon box. I think it's
the Panasonic brand TV. We purchased one last year. The Verizon remote
will do everything, except it will not turn the TV power on/off or control
the volume. We tried every permutation on the Verizon remote instructions
to have the code accept the TV, called Verizon, and called Panasonic. They
agreed that their TVs are not compatible with Verizon's remote, so I have
been living with two remotes. I don't have a DVR on that TV so don't know
if the Verizon record button would or would not work.

Sounds like you might have the same issue. If you call Panasonic, they'll
probably confirm.

Meanwhile, I turn on/off the TV and control the volume with the Panasonic
remote, and change channels and watch DVR programs (from the DVR on another
TV) with the Verizon remote.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 16:56:18 -0600, Jim Rusling
wrote:
You will probably have to re-program the cable remote to work with
that model TV.

This is the key. Your "Verizon remote" was programmed for your old TV.
Every brand uses a different set of codes, often several sets of codes
for one brand. Universal remotes, and remotes for other boxes (cable
box, external tuner, etc) which also need to control the TV have to be
programmed. This is usually done by pushing a sequence of buttons
which includes a code number. Sometimes you can't even determine
exactly which code set to use, and the instructions will tell you to
try several until it works.

I have a TV-B-Gone, a device for powering off TV sets in waiting rooms
without your action being noticed. It simply sends the "power" code
for every brand of TV. ("Power" is always a single flip-flop code, not
separate codes for on and off.) Though most TVs respond within 20
seconds, it takes about 90 seconds to go through all of them. This is
just to give an idea of how varied the code sets are.

If the "Verizon remote" didn't come with instructions, try to look
them up. If it has a manufacturer name on it, you might find
instructions on their web site. You might find instructions on
Verizon's web site. You might have to call Verizon. Who might (I'm
guessing) have to send a tech to your house, because the person on the
phone doesn't know and the techs don't take phone calls.

And/or if anybody knows a reliable, no-nonsense NG

There aren't many functioning NGs left, and "reliable, no-nonsense" is
contrary to Usenet principles.

Edward
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Try RemoteCentral.com for info on remotes.

Your Panny remote knows nothing about your Verizon box, there are many
different systems in use not only yours, you need to read if it can be
programmed to operate the box. Your Verizon remote will need programming to
operate your Panny TV, if it can. It would be simpler to use a good quality
Universal Remote to operate both together. That is where RemoteCentral.com
information comes in.

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
Any recommendations for a good, solid, non-crazy TV NG?

I am royally ****ed with the new 32" I bought through Amazon. My
SMART neighbor helped me set it up.
Yes, we have all the plugs in the right places.

I want to return it, but am afraid to check the cost w/post office,
FedEx, etc.

Weird!!! Have to dance between #1. old remote from Verizon, and

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
You will probably have to re-program the cable remote to work with
that model TV.

This is the key. Your "Verizon remote" was programmed for your old TV.
Every brand uses a different set of codes, often several sets of codes
for one brand. Universal remotes, and remotes for other boxes (cable
box, external tuner, etc) which also need to control the TV have to be
programmed. This is usually done by pushing a sequence of buttons
which includes a code number. Sometimes you can't even determine
exactly which code set to use, and the instructions will tell you to
try several until it works.

Edward has hit the nail more or less on the head. To repeat:

This is the key. Your "Verizon remote" was programmed for your old TV.
Every brand uses a different set of codes, often several sets of codes
for one brand. Universal remotes, and remotes for other boxes (cable
box, external tuner, etc) which also need to control the TV have to be
programmed. This is usually done by pushing a sequence of buttons
which includes a code number. Sometimes you can't even determine
exactly which code set to use, and the instructions will tell you to
try several until it works.

BTDT

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote

Edward has hit the nail more or less on the head. To repeat:

This is the key. Your "Verizon remote" was programmed for your old TV.
Every brand uses a different set of codes, often several sets of codes
for one brand.

I'm not so sure. My cable remote and now the sat remote turn the TV off and
on. Nothing more. All other functions are controlled by the box. That
includes volume, channel changing, pause, record, etc. Yes, you do have
to put the code for the off/on function, but that is all you need with the
cable, FIOS, or Sat box.

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
govern Volume, Mute or a great function: instant taping while program
is on (press the red button). These and some other functions are
disabled.

I have tried to find answers on the Panasonic sites, but no luck as
yet

So if anybody here has a clue, would like to hear from you.

And/or if anybody knows a reliable, no-nonsense NG where I could post
my dilemma, please post.

Ordinarily, the cable box can't control the TV set's volume and the TV
remote can't control the cable's channel selection Think of the
impossibility of the buttons on the microwave controlling your living room
lights or the dimmer switch heating your hummis.

You'll either need some method of reprogramming the TV to accept commands
from the cable's remote, or invest about $8.00 in a "Universal" remote.

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
govern Volume, Mute or a great function: instant taping while program
is on (press the red button). *These and some other functions are
disabled.

I have tried to find answers on the Panasonic sites, but no luck as
yet

So if anybody here has a clue, would like to hear from you.

And/or if anybody knows a reliable, no-nonsense NG where I could post
my dilemma, please post.

1000 thanks!

HB

You can get it back to base camp by going to "menu" then "setup" and
then select "shipping condition". All your settings and data is
erased.

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
govern Volume, Mute or a great function: instant taping while program
is on (press the red button). These and some other functions are
disabled.

I have tried to find answers on the Panasonic sites, but no luck as
yet

So if anybody here has a clue, would like to hear from you.

And/or if anybody knows a reliable, no-nonsense NG where I could post
my dilemma, please post.

Ordinarily, the cable box can't control the TV set's volume and the TV
remote can't control the cable's channel selection.

All of the remotes for the various cable systems, and now Dish, that we've had
control the volume on our TV set(s). Some even do the odd stuff on the TVs.
....wonders of modern electronics. ;-)

Think of the impossibility of the buttons on the microwave controlling your living room
lights or the dimmer switch heating your hummis.

Impossibility? No, it's entirely possible. Don't know why you'd *want* to do
it. Ever hear of X10? ;-)

You'll either need some method of reprogramming the TV to accept commands
from the cable's remote, or invest about $8.00 in a "Universal" remote.

It's a lot simpler to RTFM on the cable's remote.

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
[...]

This is to polite poster above: Is the Verizon Remote a "universal",
programmed to match their box? I'm asking here because if you've ever
had the experience of trying to contact Verizon -- well, just don't
even TRY!

It's a lot simpler to RTFM on the cable's remote.

This is to impolite poster above: PLEASE! We are not idiots. We
read through BOTH manuals -- Verizon's remote and Panasonic's manual
(which had zip about the remote; not even a diagram).

HB

#2. new remote from Panasonic.

Here's what happened:

We were having trouble installing/receiving/channels on the
Panasonic. *So friend suggested bypassing the Verizon box ($15.99/mo
rental) because the new TV has its own receiver.

It would seem that you don't have the DVR connected to the TV
correctly. Is it regular digital DVR or an HD-DVR?

Result:

#2. *Panasonic remote; Will govern Volume and Mute, but does not have
the handy Information button (tells you what's playing, e.g. with
movies, date, subject, stars, etc.) ****Most important:*** *Will NOT
change channels or allow channel input with keys.

Sure it will. Mine works just fine.

*We read through the
manual umpty times, but never found a way to acquire channels. * Can
it be possible that one has to add channels one by one, for a total of
500+?

Your basic/expanded cable has 500+ channels?????

Anyway, MenuSetupANT/Cable SetupAuto Program (simple)

(BTW, The Panasonic remote looks and acts cheesy compared to the old
remote.)

Your opinion. I disagree. The remote has big buttons and is VERY user
friendly.

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
govern Volume, Mute :

Because you don't have the remote programed properly. Sounds like you
have AUX on the remote programed for volume control (which would be
used for a stereo receiver) and not TV.

or a great function instant taping while program
is on (press the red button). *These and some other functions are
disabled.

I have tried to find answers on the Panasonic sites, but no luck as
yet

Why are you looking at Panasonic sites when the problem is with the
Verizon remote/DVR?

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
[...]

Higgs are you the OP in this thread?

I know nothing about the Verizon service.

I do know that the local cable company changed to an "all digital" signal
source. A digital signal not compatiable with any TV. That effecticely
blocked all TVs including the latest HDTVs from receiving a proper siganal
from their source. If that is true in your case your only choice is to tune
your TV to channel 3 or 4 and use their damn box if you want it to work.

After much trial and error and much gnashing of teeth I got everything
working again including a seies one Tivo.

Colbyt

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
govern Volume, Mute or a great function: instant taping while program
is on (press the red button). *These and some other functions are
disabled.

I have tried to find answers on the Panasonic sites, but no luck as
yet

So if anybody here has a clue, would like to hear from you.

And/or if anybody knows a reliable, no-nonsense NG where I could post
my dilemma, please post.

1000 thanks!

HB

Thanks to all who kindly weighed in on this. A lot of good advice.
Some fellow-frustration. Several similar situations. Noted also
agreement that the Panasonic under discussion has a lot of bells &
whistles that I, for one, will never use.

I am probably going to return the set and look for something smaller.
32" is too big for the bedroom. Also -- IMPORTANT --since I'm most
comfortable with the 4.3 ratio, why do I need all the stretching and
zooming and big black spaces on each side of the screen?

My main-est reason for returning it is that it has no input for
headphones. I need them to not disturb people elsewhere in the house.

In back of the set I saw an "audio output", but when I RTFM it seemed
to address only Home Theatre. Is there an accessory that might
connect to that audio output and culminate in, or be fastenable to,
headphones? I figured that with many Panasonic owners on this thread,
someone might know.

Or, in general, might know of sets that have headphone jacks. I saw
one with a strange, Finnish-? sounding name, but it got bad reviews.

TIA for all the continuing help.

HB

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
[...]

HB- Hide quoted text -

I don't think you are going to find anything in 4:3 and so much of the
content is wide screen now that it would be silly to buy one even if
you found it. I suggest you look at the list of tv's your verizon
controller is supposed to work with if that's one of your
requirements.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 6, 2:15*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

Thanks to all who kindly weighed in on this. *A lot of good advice.
Some *fellow-frustration. *Several similar situations. *Noted also
agreement *that the Panasonic under discussion has a lot of bells &
whistles that I, for one, *will never use.

The Panasonic is probably the most user friendly TV on the market. You
might be greatly disappointed if you get another make as it might not
be as user friendly and you will end up with more problems.

I am probably going to return the set and look for something smaller.
32" is too big for the bedroom. *Also *-- *IMPORTANT --since I'm most
comfortable with the 4.3 ratio, why do I need all the stretching and
zooming and big black spaces on each side of the screen?

You never said if you if you had a regular digital DVR or if you have
an HD DVR or if you are going to get rid of the DVR and use the direct
feed from the cable only. If you have regular digital service (digital
DVR) than you should watch programs in a 4:3 format which will have
the black side bars. The stretch modes will distort the picture and
make things look short and wide. Zoom mode will crop the top and
bottom of the picture. Some people don't care about this, but if you
do your picture isn't going to be 32" with the side bars. If you have
HD than it's basically a non-issue if most of the channels you watch
are broadcast in HD.

My main-est reason for returning it is that it has no input for
headphones. *I need them to not disturb people elsewhere in the house.

In back of the set I saw an "audio output", but when I RTFM it seemed
to address only Home Theatre. *Is there an accessory that might
connect to that audio output and culminate in, or be fastenable to,
headphones? I figured that with many Panasonic owners on this thread,
someone might know.

That is an optical audio output. I have NO clue if there is an adapter
for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

I am probably going to return the set and look for something smaller.
32" is too big for the bedroom.

I'm curious...what exact model number Panasonic unit
did you buy?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 1:53*pm, wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I am probably going to return the set and look for something smaller.
32" is too big for the bedroom.

I'm curious...what exact model number Panasonic unit
did you buy?

Panasonic TC-L32U22 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote

I am probably going to return the set and look for something smaller.
32" is too big for the bedroom. Also -- IMPORTANT --since I'm most
comfortable with the 4.3 ratio, why do I need all the stretching and
zooming and big black spaces on each side of the screen?

I don't think anyone makes a TV with 4:3 any more. You don't need the
stretching and you get a better picture with the sidebars in most cases.

I'm assuming you are not using an HD box? If not, you are really missing
out on a much improved picture over SD. The difference is like driving a
Pinto versus a Lamborghini. I'm so spoiled with HD quality I rarely watch
anything not broadcast that way now. In HD, the 16:9 is very natural and
you'll appreciate that 32" screen. That is what we have in our bedroom.

Do yourself a favor and check it out before sending that set back. You may
be sorry you did a few moths later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 6, 8:09*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote

I am probably going to return the set and look for something smaller.
32" is too big for the bedroom. *Also *-- *IMPORTANT --since I'm most
comfortable with the 4.3 ratio, why do I need all the stretching and
zooming and big black spaces on each side of the screen?

I don't think anyone makes a TV with 4:3 any more. *You don't need the
stretching and you get a better picture with the sidebars in most cases.

I'm assuming you are not using an HD box?

Yes, Verizon does rent an HD box. Much of this info I furnished
earlier in this thread, but I guess it gets lost along the way.

*If not, you are really missing
out on a much improved picture over SD. *The difference is like driving a
Pinto versus a Lamborghini. *I'm so spoiled with HD quality I rarely watch
anything not broadcast that way now. *In HD, the 16:9 is very natural and
you'll appreciate that 32" screen. That is what we have in our bedroom.

It does have 16.9. I'm saying there is a button to change aspect
ratio to this & that, none of which I find appealing.
I end up leaving it in 4.3.

Do yourself a favor and check it out before sending that set back. *You may
be sorry you did a few moths later.

As mentioned earlier, I can't use a set that doesn't have a headphone
feature, and this one doesn't.

Also, I see no reason why I have to dance between two remotes, one of
which can change stations and do recording, while the other one
controls volume and mute. That's ridiculous.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 6, 11:09*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote

[...]

There is nothing wrong with that TV......as I posted earlier,
Panasonic is probably the most user friendly TV on the market.

He still hasn't told us if he has just a digital DVR or an HD DVR.

Help can gone a long way when people answer questions.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 6, 11:19*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 6, 8:09*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote

I am probably going to return the set and look for something smaller.
32" is too big for the bedroom. *Also *-- *IMPORTANT --since I'm most
comfortable with the 4.3 ratio, why do I need all the stretching and
zooming and big black spaces on each side of the screen?

I don't think anyone makes a TV with 4:3 any more. *You don't need the
stretching and you get a better picture with the sidebars in most cases..

I'm assuming you are not using an HD box?

Yes, Verizon does rent an HD box. *Much of this info I furnished
earlier in this thread, but I guess it gets lost along the way.

You never mentioned that you had a HD-DVR.

**If not, you are really missing

out on a much improved picture over SD. *The difference is like driving a
Pinto versus a Lamborghini. *I'm so spoiled with HD quality I rarely watch
anything not broadcast that way now. *In HD, the 16:9 is very natural and
you'll appreciate that 32" screen. That is what we have in our bedroom.

It does have *16.9. *I'm saying there is a button to change aspect
ratio to this & that, none of which I find appealing.
I end up leaving it in 4.3.

Again, you don't have it hooked up correctly (seems that way). With a
HD feed, the format on a Panasonic should be set to "full" (16X9).
Using a HDMI cable or component cables will automatically make the
changes from 16:9 to 4:3 depending on the broadcast.

Do yourself a favor and check it out before sending that set back. *You may
be sorry you did a few moths later.

As mentioned earlier, I can't use a set that doesn't have a headphone
feature, and this one doesn't.

Well, have you checked to see what TVs offer that feature? Have you
checked to see if there is an optical audio output adapter to serve
your purpose?

Also, I see no reason why I have to dance between two remotes, one of
which can change stations and do recording, while the other one
controls volume and mute. *That's ridiculous.

Sheesh.........you don't have the Verizon remote programmed
properly....period. It's not the TV, or your service, it's the user!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 4, 11:00*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Colbyt" wrote

Edward has hit the nail more or less on the head. *To repeat:

This is the key. Your "Verizon remote" was programmed for your old TV.
Every brand uses a different set of codes, often several sets of codes
for one brand.

I'm not so sure. *My cable remote and now the sat remote turn the TV off and
on. *Nothing more. *All other functions are controlled by the box. *That
includes volume, channel changing, pause, record, etc. * *Yes, you do have
to put the code for the off/on function, but that is all you need with the
cable, FIOS, or Sat box.

Every remote that I've used from Time Warner, DirecTV, Comcast, and
now Bright House, would control the TV's volume.

I still have a remote control from TW that I kept from 1997? that will
control the TV volume.

The bottom line is, people don't program the remotes properly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

It does have 16.9. I'm saying there is a button to change aspect
ratio to this & that, none of which I find appealing.
I end up leaving it in 4.3.

I hate to ask, but are you aware that your chosen viewing aspect ratio
should match the aspect ratio of the source material? Viewing 16:9
source in 4:3 entails either cutting off part of the picture or
distorting it, just as viewing 4:3 source material at 16:9 does.

Most people find it "appealing" to neither distort nor crop the picture.
More and more source material (which includes broadcast television as
well as DVDs) is now 16:9, so I'd suggest you stick with a widescreen TV
and get used to it.

BTW, 21:9 is around the corner.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Dec 7, 1:33*am, Smitty Two wrote:

Most people find it "appealing" to neither distort nor crop the picture.

Most people?

I know plenty of ppl that prefer a stretched/zoomed 4:3 pic so it
fills the screen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote
I'm assuming you are not using an HD box?

It does have 16.9. I'm saying there is a button to change aspect
ratio to this & that, none of which I find appealing.
I end up leaving it in 4.3.

That is fine if the show is not broadcast in HD, but it would be scrunched
up to fit the 16:9 into the 4:3 framework. Check to see if there is an
"auto" setting that will show the native format for you. FWIW, 16:9 is
supposed to be what the eye naturally see.

As mentioned earlier, I can't use a set that doesn't have a headphone
feature, and this one doesn't.

That's a whole different animal. I don't know what is offered or what you
have. Just be sure to check that out before you buy your nest set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

Panasonic TC-L32U22 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV

That is the unit that Amazon recently had on sale at a
real good price I think

I started to order that unit myself but had to leave
town for a week on a trip and wouldn't be home when
they delivered it