Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Panasonic Viera TV ****-up

On Dec 6, 2:15*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 4, 12:41*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

Any recommendations for a good, solid, non-crazy TV NG?

I am royally ****ed with the new 32" I bought through Amazon. *My
SMART neighbor helped me set it up.
Yes, we have all the plugs in the right places.

I want to return it, but am afraid to check the cost w/post office,
FedEx, etc.

Weird!!! *Have to dance between *#1. *old remote *from Verizon, and
#2. new remote from Panasonic.

Here's what happened:

We were having trouble installing/receiving/channels on the
Panasonic. *So friend suggested bypassing the Verizon box ($15.99/mo
rental) because the new TV has its own receiver.

Result:

#2. *Panasonic remote; Will govern Volume and Mute, but does not have
the handy Information button (tells you what's playing, e.g. with
movies, date, subject, stars, etc.) ****Most important:*** *Will NOT
change channels or allow channel input with keys. *We read through the
manual umpty times, but never found a way to acquire channels. * Can
it be possible that one has to add channels one by one, for a total of
500+?

(BTW, The Panasonic remote looks and acts cheesy compared to the old
remote.)

So we reinstalled the Verizon box:

Result:

#1 (Verizon Remote) will change stations as before, but will not
govern Volume, Mute or a great function: instant taping while program
is on (press the red button). *These and some other functions are
disabled.

I have tried to find answers on the Panasonic sites, but no luck as
yet

So if anybody here has a clue, would like to hear from you.

And/or if anybody knows a reliable, no-nonsense NG where I could post
my dilemma, please post.

1000 thanks!

HB

Thanks to all who kindly weighed in on this. *A lot of good advice.
Some *fellow-frustration. *Several similar situations. *Noted also
agreement *that the Panasonic under discussion has a lot of bells &
whistles that I, for one, *will never use.

I am probably going to return the set and look for something smaller.
32" is too big for the bedroom. *Also *-- *IMPORTANT --since I'm most
comfortable with the 4.3 ratio, why do I need all the stretching and
zooming and big black spaces on each side of the screen?

My main-est reason for returning it is that it has no input for
headphones. *I need them to not disturb people elsewhere in the house.

In back of the set I saw an "audio output", but when I RTFM it seemed
to address only Home Theatre. *Is there an accessory that might
connect to that audio output and culminate in, or be fastenable to,
headphones? I figured that with many Panasonic owners on this thread,
someone might know.

Or, in general, might know of sets that have headphone jacks. *I saw
one with a strange, Finnish-? sounding name, but it got bad reviews.

TIA for all the continuing help.

HB- Hide quoted text -

I don't think you are going to find anything in 4:3 and so much of the
content is wide screen now that it would be silly to buy one even if
you found it. I suggest you look at the list of tv's your verizon
controller is supposed to work with if that's one of your
requirements.