Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam?

Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later? Is there some
special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can be
used a second time?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:28:14 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later? Is there some
special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can be
used a second time?

The can may give you instructions. It may involve turning the can
upside down and flushing the tip out -- I forget.

For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you can
store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Good Luck!
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:28:14 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later? Is there some
special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can be
used a second time?

The can may give you instructions. It may involve turning the can
upside down and flushing the tip out -- I forget.

For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you can
store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Good Luck!

I've found washing the tube out with Acetone before it sets up
salvages the tube - and using the can upright if it is normally used
spout down, or upside-down if it is normally used spout up to clear it
OCCASIONALLY makes the can useable a few weeks later.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Home Guy wrote:
Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later? Is there some
special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can
be used a second time?

No, not usually.

They should make a half-can.

Liquid Nails comes in a "small project" tube for the times you don't need an
entire caulking cartridge.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 20:19:07 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later?

stuff snipped

I always have places to use up the rest of
the can. Like if I use some in the house, there are a few places in
my garage where I marked to use up a part can, like around the window
frames.

I've found that's the best solution. Make sure you have scoped out enough
places to use up the rest of the can. I've *never* had a can that was
reusable although I did have a can explode once just sitting on the shelf.
Made a very respectable mess. All of the rest of the cans are each sitting
inside a strong plastic bag to contain the damage if any of the remaining
cans burst.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On 12/1/2010 7:28 PM, Home Guy wrote:
Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later? Is there some
special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can be
used a second time?

Advertising. Find a products weakness and then push it as it's strength.

You must be talking about "Great Stuff". You may have bought it at
the Despot. That is often a clue as to an innate problem. The Despot
will sell all manner of crap.

What a mess clean up is and you don't want to get any of it on you.

DAP and others make latex expanding foams, you can clean out the
straw and nozzle with water. Not that that is any great joy but it is
reasonable. Not so with "Great Stuff".

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On 12/2/2010 7:16 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

Get them at a store that carries "tobacco" water pipes and some such.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 19:28:14 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later? Is there some
special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can be
used a second time?

I've used the pipecleaner-in-the-tube trick with varying results. [but
then I get a dead can about 10% of the time] Take the screw tip
off & use one pipecleaner in the top of the can. Use another in the
first section of the top. And another in the end of the tube.

If you're lucky all 3 will come out, and there will still be pressure
in the can.

A better plan is to keep a list of places where you can use a squirt
of it on the shelf where you keep you 'great stuff'.

Oh- for a can that won't spray, but still has great stuff in it? Stand
back 50 feet ad shoot it with a pellet gun. Pretty dramatic.g

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I've used the pipecleaner-in-the-tube trick with varying results.

I recently tried to use a can for a second time. I found that it was
relatively easy to push the dried crud out of the plastic dispensing
tube using a wire. It was the short shaft sticking out the can where
the problem is. I used a drill bit turned by hand to dig into that
shaft and pull out more crud, some of it semi-solid.

I eventually got it to the point where there was a constant small air
leak coming out of the can. I put the dispensing tube back on, turned
the can upside down, and a very weak but constant flow of foam began to
flow. I thing it would only flow if the can was upside down. I stuck
the nozzle where I needed it, rigged the can so it would stay put (and
stay upside down) and left it. I'll check today to see how much came
out.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:16:07 -0500, Stan Brown
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

Sometimes I see them in grocery stores that still sell tobacco
products. Craft stores have them as well. Smoke shops.

And then- there is always Amazon. 3 bundles of the Zen bristly ones
for $6.25- free shipping over $25. You can't buy much gas for $6.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stan Brown wrote in
t:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

smoke shops,tobaccos shops?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In t Stan Brown
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

I've seen them at the local Walgreens drug store, behind the checkout
counter along with the cigarettes and pipe tobacco.

I wonder if craft stores might sell them, or something like them?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On 12/2/2010 7:16 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

You don't need a pipe cleaner. You probably can find a spare twist lock
thingy somewhere around the house, preferably one with paper or soft
plastic around the wire. Strip off the paper/plastic the way you would
strip insulation off an electrical wire (partially closed diagonal
cutters) and voila, you have a thin, flexible piece of wire. I use this
trick all the time to clear out clogs in the steamer nozzle of my
cappuccino maker.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Robert Green wrote:

I've found that's the best solution. Make sure you have scoped out
enough places to use up the rest of the can. I've *never* had a can
that was reusable although I did have a can explode once just sitting
on the shelf. Made a very respectable mess. All of the rest of the
cans are each sitting inside a strong plastic bag to contain the
damage if any of the remaining cans burst.

I was working with the stuff and the valve stuck open. In disgust I tossed
the whole shebang over the fence into the power company's right-of-way.

Some time later, while looking for a grave site for a dead animal, I spotted
the can. The material had indeed completely leaked out creating a perfect
sphere the size of a basketball!

I severed the umbilical attaching the ball to the can and carved a scary and
grotesque head out of the raw material. Maybe I'll enter it in a local art
contest or will it to my son.

I haven't decided.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Stan Brown" wrote in message
t...

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

Hereabouts, pipe cleaners are now mostly sold in hobby shops and
"dollar stores," shelved with the plastic scissors, coloured stickers
and paraphernalia for toddlers' "construction projects."

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

craft shops. Get the real chenile ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 07:30:48 -0500, Jeff Thies
wrote:

On 12/1/2010 7:28 PM, Home Guy wrote:
Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later? Is there some
special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can be
used a second time?

Advertising. Find a products weakness and then push it as it's strength.

You must be talking about "Great Stuff". You may have bought it at
the Despot. That is often a clue as to an innate problem. The Despot
will sell all manner of crap.

What a mess clean up is and you don't want to get any of it on you.

DAP and others make latex expanding foams, you can clean out the
straw and nozzle with water. Not that that is any great joy but it is
reasonable. Not so with "Great Stuff".

Jeff

But the latex stuff is useless if you want to seal out water - it just
disolves. Says right on the can "for dry locations only" or something
very close.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

Pipe and tobacco shop, arts and craft stores...

For crafts there are many colors:

http://www.thefind.com/crafts/info-craft-pipe-cleaners

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later? Is there some
special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can be
used a second time?

As the can clearly states this is for one time use.

However, if one cuts the straw in half and then cleans the nozzle
immediately with a toothpick or and then uses the rest using the other half
of the straw within 30 days or so it usually works for the second time.

Honestly, sometimes it does not.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 07:16:07 -0500, Stan Brown wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

Thanks to all who responded. Some of the suggestions: tobacco shops,
Amazon, head shops, and (the winner) craft stores.

To the fellow who said to just use the wire from a twist tie: that
would be too thin. I'm looking to get the grunge out from between
faucets and spigot, for instance.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later? *Is there some
special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so it can
be used a second time?

No, not usually.

They should make a half-can.

Liquid Nails comes in a "small project" tube for the times you don't need an
entire caulking cartridge.

Actually they did make a half can. *I believe the brand was "Great
Stuff". *I saw them on the shelves a year or two ago. *The problem was
they cost about 10 cents less than a full can. *Probably why I have
not seen them since. *Why save 10 cents for a half can. *If it was
half price, I'd buy it. *I always have places to use up the rest of
the can. *Like if I use some in the house, there are a few places in
my garage where I marked to use up a part can, like around the window
frames. *The garage is not heated but this cuts air leaks. *If I had a
basement, I'd likely put some around where the wood meets the
foundation. *I have not found a reliable way to save the stuff for
later use, so I just keep a list of places where I can use up a can.

As far as the person who said to put a pipe cleaner in the tube, I
have not tried it, but I really doubt it would come out. *That stuff
really sticks. *I know if I get it on my hands it takes several days
to get it off, unless I use sand paper on it. *

What I'd like to see is something like epoxy, where you mix two parts
and make as much as you need. *Maybe that will happen, or maybe it's
not possible. *For now, I guess we have a product that's pretty much a
one time use, and tends to be very messy to work with too. *I tend to
choose caulk or silicone caulk before buying the foam if it all
possible for the job.

There is two part foam. You get it at chandlers (boat parts) It's
used for filling bouyancy/floatation tanks in dinghys etc. Also spray
one foam is two part.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Jeff Thies wrote in news:id83or$l8k$1
@news.albasani.net:

On 12/2/2010 7:16 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

Get them at a store that carries "tobacco" water pipes and some such.

Jeff

Maybe even a craft store.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Stan Brown wrote in t:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:56:06 -0800, Oren wrote:
For the plastic tube, just stick a pipe cleaner in the tube so you
can store it. Pull the pipe cleaner out later for use.

Pipe cleaners -- I haven't seen those in years, and I actually need
some for cleaning crevices.

Yes, this is a serious question: what sort of store carries them?

Walmart, believe it or not. They sell them in the crafts section.

And other places:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&biw=1721&bih=902&q=pipe+clea ners&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...am-607664-.htm
stockthomas wrote:

Hey Guys, I found a company that sells spare nozzle packs. They are in my
local hardware store. If not yours the website is www.xtendafoam.com , I
was glad to see it because I'm tired of trying to clean out the foam
nozzles and throwing away half used cans of foam.

wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
[...]

source of 2-part expanding foam? jkn UK diy 7 March 2nd 09 09:13 PM
Expanding foam behind CU Jon[_3_] UK diy 12 September 19th 08 12:08 AM
expanding foam HELP Peter UK diy 11 June 24th 07 08:14 PM
Expanding Foam VisionSet UK diy 3 September 6th 06 09:16 PM
Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 10:21 PM