Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
stockthomas[_2_] stockthomas[_2_] is offline

Default Possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam?

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...am-607664-.htm
stockthomas wrote:

Hey Guys, I found a company that sells spare nozzle packs. They are in my
local hardware store. If not yours the website is www.xtendafoam.com , I
was glad to see it because I'm tired of trying to clean out the foam
nozzles and throwing away half used cans of foam.

wrote:

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 20:19:07 -0600, "HeyBub"

wrote:

Home Guy wrote:
Is it possible to only use part of a can of expanding foam for
something, then store the can and use it again later? Is
there some
special trick to clearing the exit-hole after the first use so
it can
be used a second time?

No, not usually.

They should make a half-can.

Liquid Nails comes in a "small project" tube for the
times you don't need an
entire caulking cartridge.

Actually they did make a half can. I believe the brand was "Great
Stuff". I saw them on the shelves a year or two ago. The problem
was
they cost about 10 cents less than a full can. Probably why I have
not seen them since. Why save 10 cents for a half can. If it was
half price, I'd buy it. I always have places to use up the rest of
the can. Like if I use some in the house, there are a few places in
my garage where I marked to use up a part can, like around the window
frames. The garage is not heated but this cuts air leaks. If I had a
basement, I'd likely put some around where the wood meets the
foundation. I have not found a reliable way to save the stuff for
later use, so I just keep a list of places where I can use up a can.

As far as the person who said to put a pipe cleaner in the tube, I
have not tried it, but I really doubt it would come out. That stuff
really sticks. I know if I get it on my hands it takes several days
to get it off, unless I use sand paper on it.

What I'd like to see is something like epoxy, where you mix two parts
and make as much as you need. Maybe that will happen, or maybe it's
not possible. For now, I guess we have a product that's pretty much a
one time use, and tends to be very messy to work with too. I tend to
choose caulk or silicone caulk before buying the foam if it all
possible for the job.