Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 13 Things Your Salesclerk Won't Tell You

13 Things Your Salesclerk Won't Tell You
By Michelle Crouch
From Reader's Digest

1. The greeters who welcome you to our store aren’t really there to
greet you. If we look you in the eye as you’re coming and going, you’re
less likely to shoplift.

2. I won’t ask a yes-or-no question like "Can I help you?” Instead, it’s
always an open-ended “What can I help you find today?"

3. Many retailers count the shoppers who come in, then calculate the
percentage who actually buy something. If I don’t “convert” enough
browsers to buyers, I hear from my district manager.

4. New merchandise goes at the front of the store, bargains at the
back. The endcaps on the back side of aisles at Target, for instance,
usually have items 15 to 75 percent off. If you want a deal, try to
figure out when your favorite retailer does its markdowns. Some do
them on Thursdays or Fridays, others at the end of the month.

5. When you ask me if something looks good on you and I suggest a
different style, take the hint.

6. Sure, I’ll put that sweater on hold for you. But most of the time,
you don’t come back. So don’t blame me if I sell it to someone else.

7. My pet peeve? Customers who paw through a stack of shirts. Now I’ve
got to spend 15 minutes board-folding that whole pile again.

8. Even though most of us don’t work on commission, sometimes we’re
given a salesgoal for each customer. If we meet it consistently, we’ll
get bonuses and, eventually, a promotion. So when I tell you about a
pair of earrings that would go perfectly with that sweater, I might
have an ulterior motive.

9. Please don’t tell the cashier no one was helping you after I
brought you six different sweaters in the fitting room. It’s rude.

10. We do a lot more than unlock fitting rooms. We scrub the
bathrooms, Windex the mirrors, dust the shelves, answer the phone, and
clean up after our customers. And that includes two-year-olds.

11. And what is it about fitting rooms that brings out the worst in
people? You stick gum to the walls and even leave dirty diapers in
there.

12. After you buy something, keep your receipt and pay attention. Most
mainstream retailers promise a refund if the item goes on sale within
a certain number of days after you buy it. Websites like
priceprotectr.com track the prices of hundreds of products from
retailers such as Best Buy, Amazon, and Sears.

13. With savings clubs, e-mail deals, coupons, Internet discount
codes, and other incentives, fewer and fewer people are paying full
price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:36:49 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

13 Things Your Salesclerk Won't Tell You
By Michelle Crouch
From Reader's Digest

[...]

I guess I am just spastic. I have no clue how to refold a shirt. I
really give an effort before I hide it on the bottom of the stack.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

2. I won't ask a yes-or-no question like "Can I help you?"

I say... "I'm beyond help!"
Or if an overly aggressive furniture salesman and I just want to look
around and he will not leave me alone, I say "The more you help, the
less I buy!"

4. New merchandise goes at the front of the store, bargains at the
back.

No, they stick all the men's stuff all the way in the back! Then you
have to drag the wife and kids all the way through the store to get to
the men's stuff. Then that one "men's item" winds up costing 10x more
due to all the additional items being placed in the cart on the way
there and back!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 8:20*am, "Bill" wrote:
2. I won't ask a yes-or-no question like "Can I help you?"

I say... "I'm beyond help!"
Or if an overly aggressive furniture salesman and I just want to look
around and he will not leave me alone, I say "The more you help, the
less I buy!"

4. New merchandise goes at the front of the store, bargains at the
back.

No, they stick all the men's stuff all the way in the back! Then you
have to drag the wife and kids all the way through the store to get to
the men's stuff. Then that one "men's item" winds up costing 10x more
due to all the additional items being placed in the cart on the way
there and back!

"Then you have to drag the wife and kids all the way through the
store to get to the men's stuff."

Simple Solution:

Shop alone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:36:49 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

13 Things Your Salesclerk Won't Tell You

The 14th thing...the clerk isn't happy to see you:
http://www.dilbert.com/fast/2000-10-29/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, that truly should be item 14. Scott Adams understands the world,
for sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kuskokwim" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:36:49 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

13 Things Your Salesclerk Won't Tell You

The 14th thing...the clerk isn't happy to see you:
http://www.dilbert.com/fast/2000-10-29/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

13 Things Your Salesclerk Won't Tell You
By Michelle Crouch
From Reader's Digest

1. The greeters who welcome you to our store aren’t really there to
greet you. If we look you in the eye as you’re coming and going,
you’re less likely to shoplift.

2. I won’t ask a yes-or-no question like "Can I help you?” Instead,
it’s always an open-ended “What can I help you find today?"

I think if I note that on my next Borg trip I'll say the infamous
Sky-Hook or Brass Magnet.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

No, they stick all the men's stuff all the way in the back! Then you
have to drag the wife and kids all the way through the store to get to
the men's stuff. Then that one "men's item" winds up costing 10x more
due to all the additional items being placed in the cart on the way
there and back!

That's the same reason milk (a commonly purchased single item) is at the
back of supermarkets. You must walk past all the other tempting stuff
twice and then past the stuff while waiting in line at the checkstand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

No, they stick all the men's stuff all the way in the back! Then you
have to drag the wife and kids all the way through the store to get to
the men's stuff. Then that one "men's item" winds up costing 10x more
due to all the additional items being placed in the cart on the way
there and back!

That's the same reason milk (a commonly purchased single item) is at the
back of supermarkets. You must walk past all the other tempting stuff
twice and then past the stuff while waiting in line at the checkstand.
--

The fact that department stores are aimed at women is no secret, and
hasn't been a secret for fifty years or so. Go clothes shopping on your own.

Same thing for grocery stores, since most food is still purchased by women.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 5:27*pm, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

No, they stick all the men's stuff all the way in the back! Then you
have to drag the wife and kids all the way through the store to get to
the men's stuff. Then that one "men's item" winds up costing 10x more
due to all the additional items being placed in the cart on the way
there and back!

That's the same reason milk (a commonly purchased single item) is at the
back of supermarkets. *You must walk past all the other tempting stuff
twice and then past the stuff while waiting in line at the checkstand.
--

Not where I live.

The biggest supermarket chain in my area (Wegmans) has a small
refrigerated section with milk, eggs, butter and few other staples
right near front door, and right near the express lane registers.

I'm often in and out in a matter of minutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

No, they stick all the men's stuff all the way in the back! Then
you
have to drag the wife and kids all the way through the store to get
the men's stuff. Then that one "men's item" winds up costing 10x
more
due to all the additional items being placed in the cart on the way
there and back!

That's the same reason milk (a commonly purchased single item) is at
the
back of supermarkets. You must walk past all the other tempting
stuff
twice and then past the stuff while waiting in line at the
checkstand.
--

That gets me. I walk by those cookies or brownies on the way back from
the milk and just can't control myself!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:24:51 -0500, aemeijers
wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

No, they stick all the men's stuff all the way in the back! Then you
have to drag the wife and kids all the way through the store to get to
the men's stuff. Then that one "men's item" winds up costing 10x more
due to all the additional items being placed in the cart on the way
there and back!

That's the same reason milk (a commonly purchased single item) is at the
back of supermarkets. You must walk past all the other tempting stuff
twice and then past the stuff while waiting in line at the checkstand.
--

The fact that department stores are aimed at women is no secret, and
hasn't been a secret for fifty years or so. Go clothes shopping on your own.

Same thing for grocery stores, since most food is still purchased by women.

I heard Lowe's referred to as the "housewives hardware store". Wide
aisles, cleaner, organized and plenty of room for a shopping cart.

The poor male DIYer goes to HD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

[...]

I refer to Lowe's as the Walmart of home improvement stores and Home
Depot as the Kmart of the big box hardware stores. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2010 12:41 AM, wrote:

wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

[...]

Which is why I go to Menards !!!!!

We have a Home Depot in the area, I do not like the place. There is
no Lowes, but I have been to them, and they are a lot higher in price.

Menards is more down to earth with basic building materials without
too much glitz. My kind of place......

Years ago, there was this wonderful hardware store in downtown
Birmingham, AL and the place had everything from a 4-40 screw
to a saddle and bridle and overalls. It was wonderful with every
nook and cranny stuffed with all sorts of treasure. Unfortunately
the place burned down long ago and it is sorely missed by many
hardware junkies like me. There was an old fellow in there who
was as old as the store and he knew where everything was. When
asked if the store had some arcane item he would put his hand
on his cheek and say,"Now let me see, we got some of those in
back in 32 and I moved them from the front to the back in 47
then in 1950 I put some on display with some other parts and
oh yea, they're over here." Darn I miss that place. :-)

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2010 8:20 AM, Bill wrote:
ess I buy!"

4. New merchandise goes at the front of the store, bargains at the
back.

No, they stick all the men's stuff all the way in the back!

My standard tactic to find the stuff *I want*, is to start in the most
remote corner. No matter which store. Saves a lot of looking and almost
always works.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

[...]

We've (Atlanta) got an auto parts store like that. Need a coil for
you model A, they have it. 5/8" washer and nut, got that right next to
the cash register. Carries top notch products. Owner works in the store.
Old old guy.

The "Do it Best" Hardware store is as close to what you describe.

Jeff

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

[...]

We don't have one of them, though there is one by my brother's place. I don't
like it.

We have a Home Depot in the area, I do not like the place. There is
no Lowes, but I have been to them, and they are a lot higher in price.

I don't find that Lowes is more expensive at all, in fact slightly cheaper on
some things (others are identical). There is a HD right across the street
from the Lowes here, so I'm sure there is a lot of price comparing going on.

Menards is more down to earth with basic building materials without
too much glitz. My kind of place......

I found the selection to be wanting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

[...]

Atlanta has a lot of nice stores. We do a weekend up there every two or three
months. We particularly like Highland Hardware (tools). SWMBO even likes
browsing around that toy store. ;-)

The "Do it Best" Hardware store is as close to what you describe.

SW side?
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

[...]

Haven't seen that one yet but it must be interesting.

Used to be competing gas stations at intersection corners. Have noticed
the chain drug stores jumping on same corners the past few years. Often
two at intersections in NC where I was. One intersection had Rite-Aid.
Walgreen and CVS at an intersection.

Believe you did time in Burlington VT area. Not sure when here last or
what updates you get. Quite a ways back they put a HD at Taft Corners.
Since then a Lowes in South Burlington near the KMart. A 2nd Lowes went
in on Susie Wilson Rd where Ames/Grand Union used to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 15:03:25 GMT, Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
:

wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

[...]

It's very common around here. I guess it's like all of the car dealerships or
furniture stores congregating in one area of town.

Used to be competing gas stations at intersection corners. Have noticed
the chain drug stores jumping on same corners the past few years. Often
two at intersections in NC where I was. One intersection had Rite-Aid.
Walgreen and CVS at an intersection.

Well, drug stores are so dense they have to be on opposite corners. ;-)

Believe you did time in Burlington VT area. Not sure when here last or
what updates you get. Quite a ways back they put a HD at Taft Corners.
Since then a Lowes in South Burlington near the KMart. A 2nd Lowes went
in on Susie Wilson Rd where Ames/Grand Union used to be.

We sold the house and moved out in Nov '07 (I went ahead to Ohio the previous
summer). The HD had been open for ten years, or so. The two Lowes were in
the planning stages. It's good to hear they finally opened. The one on Suzie
Wilson would have been convenient (we lived in Essex). The last year there I
wore tracks in 2A fetching stuff to get the house on the market. ;-)

Things to come? Leon Woodworking 42 March 25th 08 02:23 AM
The Little Things Luke Howett Fitzhugh Home Repair 4 April 5th 07 01:07 PM
sometimes the little things get ya wallster Metalworking 12 September 16th 04 12:11 AM