Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 13 Things Your Salesclerk Won't Tell You

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 15:03:25 GMT, Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 00:41:30 -0600, wrote:

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:36:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/1/2010 8:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:24:51 -0500,
wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

No, they stick all the men's stuff all the way in the back! Then
you have to drag the wife and kids all the way through the store
to get to the men's stuff. Then that one "men's item" winds up
costing 10x more due to all the additional items being placed in
the cart on the way there and back!

That's the same reason milk (a commonly purchased single item) is
at the back of supermarkets. You must walk past all the other
tempting stuff twice and then past the stuff while waiting in
line at the checkstand. --

The fact that department stores are aimed at women is no secret,
and hasn't been a secret for fifty years or so. Go clothes
shopping on your own.

Same thing for grocery stores, since most food is still purchased
by women.

I heard Lowe's referred to as the "housewives hardware store". Wide
aisles, cleaner, organized and plenty of room for a shopping cart.

The poor male DIYer goes to HD

I refer to Lowe's as the Walmart of home improvement stores and Home
Depot as the Kmart of the big box hardware stores. :-)

TDD

Which is why I go to Menards !!!!!

We don't have one of them, though there is one by my brother's place.
I don't like it.

We have a Home Depot in the area, I do not like the place. There is
no Lowes, but I have been to them, and they are a lot higher in price.

I don't find that Lowes is more expensive at all, in fact slightly
cheaper on some things (others are identical). There is a HD right
across the street from the Lowes here, so I'm sure there is a lot of
price comparing going on.

Menards is more down to earth with basic building materials without
too much glitz. My kind of place......

I found the selection to be wanting.

There is a HD right
across the street from the Lowes here, so I'm sure there is a lot of
price comparing going on.

Haven't seen that one yet but it must be interesting.

It's very common around here. I guess it's like all of the car dealerships or
furniture stores congregating in one area of town.

Used to be competing gas stations at intersection corners. Have noticed
the chain drug stores jumping on same corners the past few years. Often
two at intersections in NC where I was. One intersection had Rite-Aid.
Walgreen and CVS at an intersection.

Well, drug stores are so dense they have to be on opposite corners. ;-)

Believe you did time in Burlington VT area. Not sure when here last or
what updates you get. Quite a ways back they put a HD at Taft Corners.
Since then a Lowes in South Burlington near the KMart. A 2nd Lowes went
in on Susie Wilson Rd where Ames/Grand Union used to be.

We sold the house and moved out in Nov '07 (I went ahead to Ohio the previous
summer). The HD had been open for ten years, or so. The two Lowes were in
the planning stages. It's good to hear they finally opened. The one on Suzie
Wilson would have been convenient (we lived in Essex). The last year there I
wore tracks in 2A fetching stuff to get the house on the market. ;-)