Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default 13 Things Your Salesclerk Won't Tell You

On 12/2/2010 12:41 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:36:19 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/1/2010 8:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:24:51 -0500,
wrote:

On 12/1/2010 5:27 PM, Bob wrote:
On 12/1/2010 05:20, Bill wrote:

No, they stick all the men's stuff all the way in the back! Then you
have to drag the wife and kids all the way through the store to
get to
the men's stuff. Then that one "men's item" winds up costing 10x
more
due to all the additional items being placed in the cart on the way
there and back!

That's the same reason milk (a commonly purchased single item) is
at the
back of supermarkets. You must walk past all the other tempting stuff
twice and then past the stuff while waiting in line at the
checkstand.
--

The fact that department stores are aimed at women is no secret, and
hasn't been a secret for fifty years or so. Go clothes shopping on

Same thing for grocery stores, since most food is still purchased
by women.

I heard Lowe's referred to as the "housewives hardware store". Wide
aisles, cleaner, organized and plenty of room for a shopping cart.

The poor male DIYer goes to HD

I refer to Lowe's as the Walmart of home improvement stores and Home
Depot as the Kmart of the big box hardware stores. :-)

TDD

Which is why I go to Menards !!!!!

We have a Home Depot in the area, I do not like the place. There is
no Lowes, but I have been to them, and they are a lot higher in price.

Menards is more down to earth with basic building materials without
too much glitz. My kind of place......

Years ago, there was this wonderful hardware store in downtown
Birmingham, AL and the place had everything from a 4-40 screw
to a saddle and bridle and overalls. It was wonderful with every
nook and cranny stuffed with all sorts of treasure. Unfortunately
the place burned down long ago and it is sorely missed by many
hardware junkies like me. There was an old fellow in there who
was as old as the store and he knew where everything was. When
asked if the store had some arcane item he would put his hand
on his cheek and say,"Now let me see, we got some of those in
back in 32 and I moved them from the front to the back in 47
then in 1950 I put some on display with some other parts and
oh yea, they're over here." Darn I miss that place. :-)

We've (Atlanta) got an auto parts store like that. Need a coil for
you model A, they have it. 5/8" washer and nut, got that right next to
the cash register. Carries top notch products. Owner works in the store.
Old old guy.

The "Do it Best" Hardware store is as close to what you describe.

Jeff

TDD