Posted to alt.home.repair

Default outlet on when thermostat on

JIMMIE wrote:
On Nov 29, 4:37 pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Looking for a cheap but reliable solution.

I want a fan to turn on when my thermostat is on. Is there a gizmo that
would do that for me. My fan is line voltage.

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Find the blower contactor for yuor heater and get an apprpriately
rated relay and wire the coil in paralell with the coil on the blower
contactor. Wire normally open contacts in series with the outlet you
want to control. I did pretty much the same with a helper fan. BTW
Helper fan didnt work out very well, made the cold bedroom warm but
made another warm bedroom cold.. Proper ducts and equalizing fixed the
problem.

Jimmie

Assuming "heater" is furnace...

For furnaces that do not have an electronic control board, for a common
circuit the fan relay is on when the thermostat is in "fan on" mode or
when the thermostat calls for cooling. It is not on for heat. The plenum
fan/limit switch controls the fan for heating.

Depends on whether the OP wants the aux fan to run on heating or cooling
or both.

--
bud--