Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Schlage locks

I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that
allows you to
change out the pins yourself.

He said they were "un-pickable."

If true, that would put some "hurt" on locksmiths.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 8:20*am, Andy wrote:
I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that
allows you to
change out the pins yourself.

He said they were "un-pickable."

If true, that would put some "hurt" on locksmiths.

Andy

Bit here on the topic of pin index locks. Not as secure as you might
think.
http://toughlocks.co.uk/faq.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that
allows you to
change out the pins yourself.

He said they were "un-pickable."

If true, that would put some "hurt" on locksmiths.

Andy

I have all Kwikset Smartkeys, and love them. I think Schlage saw them and
made these to compete. The Smartkeys are just a shim you put in, and
changing the lock is a snap. No pins or disassembly required. You can
change the key with the knobset on the door. Not sure how fumblefingers
would handle the pin exchange, and how many pins one would have to have on
hand. Write back when you can provide cites and adequate information.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that
allows you to
change out the pins yourself.

He said they were "un-pickable."

If you want high security near unpickable, go with Medico locks. You
will see these on vending machines and in Laundromats, but you will
pay a pretty penny for them!
http://www.medeco.com

Also be aware that Schlage makes consumer grade products...
http://consumer.schlage.com

And Schlage also makes commercial grade products. These last forever,
you will see them on commercial and government buildings, will not see
these sold at a retail store (go to locksmith), and you are looking at
several hundred dollars for a lockset. You get what you pay for...
http://commercial.schlage.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I have all Kwikset Smartkeys, and love them. I think Schlage saw
them and made these to compete. The Smartkeys are just a shim you
put in, and changing the lock is a snap. No pins or disassembly
required. You can change the key with the knobset on the door. Not
sure how fumblefingers would handle the pin exchange, and how many
pins one would have to have on hand. Write back when you can provide
cites and adequate information.

That's about one of the absolute worst locks from a security perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-9YNcnegjY

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2010 10:10 AM, Bill wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that
allows you to
change out the pins yourself.

He said they were "un-pickable."

If you want high security near unpickable, go with Medico locks. You
will see these on vending machines and in Laundromats, but you will pay
a pretty penny for them!
http://www.medeco.com

They do make great locks. I had to drill one out of a change machine
when someone lost the keys. It was hardened steel and it took hours and
probably 25 titanium and other special drill bits.

Then again, Medico makes cheap locks also. I had to open an old soda
machine, I saw the Medico brand on the lock and thought Oh ****! Turns
out it was all brass that was chrome plated. Took about 10 minutes and
2 drill bits.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that
allows you to
change out the pins yourself.

He said they were "un-pickable."

If true, that would put some "hurt" on locksmiths.

I bought a pin kit years ago that has allowed me to repin Schlage locks since
then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't remember for sure, but a Schlage A51 lists out for about $180.
If memory is working.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bill"
wrote in message ...

And Schlage also makes commercial grade products. These last forever,
you will see them on commercial and government buildings, will not see
these sold at a retail store (go to locksmith), and you are looking at
several hundred dollars for a lockset. You get what you pay for...
http://commercial.schlage.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 8:20*am, Andy wrote:
I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that
allows you to
change out the pins yourself.

He said they were "un-pickable."

If true, that would put some "hurt" on locksmiths.

Andy

Bit here about picking locks. One of many on you tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCBxqKnA8mo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2010 9:10 AM, Bill wrote:
"Andy" wrote in message
I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that
allows you to
change out the pins yourself.

He said they were "un-pickable."

If you want high security near unpickable, go with Medico locks. You
will see these on vending machines and in Laundromats, but you will pay
a pretty penny for them!
http://www.medeco.com

Also be aware that Schlage makes consumer grade products...
http://consumer.schlage.com

And Schlage also makes commercial grade products. These last forever,
you will see them on commercial and government buildings, will not see
these sold at a retail store (go to locksmith), and you are looking at
several hundred dollars for a lockset. You get what you pay for...
http://commercial.schlage.com

For security the lock doesn't really make that much difference. I
recall a story on the local news about "bump keys". The reporter
tried a set and they worked great. But when she talked to a policeman
he said that they didn't have much problem with that. Around here
they don't bother picking the lock or using a bump key. They just
kick the door open. It is a lot simpler for them than fussing around
with all that other stuff.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Bill- Hide quoted text -

I agree, a "pick proof" lock isn't going to matter much. A couple
crowbars will open just about any window. Just pulls the latches out
of the wood. Locks keep honest people honest. If someone really
wants in your house they will get in. A battery powered sawsall will
cut an opening in the wall or up through the floor from under the
house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

My locksmith friends use a power circular saw with an abrasive metal
cutoff blade to remove padlocks. The new battery operated saws make
it much more convenient. :-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that
allows you to
change out the pins yourself.

He said they were "un-pickable."

If you want high security near unpickable, go with Medico locks. You
will see these on vending machines and in Laundromats, but you will pay
a pretty penny for them!
http://www.medeco.com

Multi-Lock is even more secure than a Medico

# different lock systems in one. and absolutely impossible to
duplicate on a key cutter, even if you can get the blanks.
A Medeco is relativley easy to duplicate if you get some "black
market" blanks.
[...]

But kicking the door open makes it real obvious you've been there. A
solid door with a good deadbolt in a good steel jam would take a
pretty good battering ram to get open. I know a few that would break
your leg before you had them kicked open - and with Multilock keys,
even a "bump key" does not stand a chance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Well, most people don't mind that you figure out they were there.
When you walk in and find your house trashed, with your TV and
computer and what have you missing you can figure it out pretty
quick.

We don't have a lot of spies here in Tulsa.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

even a "bump key" does not stand a chance.- Hide quoted text -

Like the windows are equally secure? I don't think so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 29, 10:54*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:53:08 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

wrote:
But kicking the door open makes it real obvious you've been there. A
solid door with a good deadbolt in a good steel jam would take a
pretty good battering ram to get open. I know a few that would break
your leg before you had them kicked open - and with Multilock keys,
even a "bump key" does not stand a chance.- Hide quoted text -

Like the windows are equally secure? *I don't think so.

Some windows are better than your average door. The regular burglar is
not going to do much to a 140 MPH "impact rated" window.
You can shoot a 2x4 out of an air cannon at one and it won't get
through. Reglazing the window may cost more than the average burglar
steals tho *;-(

How many houses have 140 mph impact rated windows as compared to how
many have steel doors with deadbolts?

Most double hung windows. Two crowbars. One under each lower corner
of the bottom half. Pry up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 00:20:31 -0800 (PST), Andy
wrote:

I was in Lowes and an associate showed me one of the new locks that
allows you to
change out the pins yourself.

He said they were "un-pickable."

If true, that would put some "hurt" on locksmiths.

Andy

When I lived in NY and always had 3 roommates, who came and went, I
traded locks with a friend of mine they didn't know. I really only
did this once or twice, because only one of my many roommates was
untrustworthy (not counting the teen-ager from a wealthy family. He
was a jerk -- he sprayed the walls in his room with shaving cream
after I told him he couldn't leave with no notice for Christmas, and
come back afterwards without paying for the three weeks he was gone --
but probably wouldn't steal anything.)

There was also the ditz Playboy Bunny (I kid you not) who was always
burning or breaking something, but she never did anything dishonest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

That's where a German Shepherd comes in real handy. :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 1:57*am, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:34:17 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

wrote:
How many houses have 140 mph impact rated windows as compared to how
many have steel doors with deadbolts?

Quite a few around here and more every day. You get a break on your
$3000 a year hurricane insurance.

And you think I can't open one with a couple 3 foot crowbars?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 11:48*am, wrote:
On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 04:53:38 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

wrote:
How many houses have 140 mph impact rated windows as compared to how
many have steel doors with deadbolts?

Quite a few around here and more every day. You get a break on your
$3000 a year hurricane insurance.

And you think I can't open one with a couple 3 foot crowbars?

I'm sure you can. Then the question becomes, how much time are you
going to spend and how much noise are you going to make. "Neighborhood
watch" is an armed response here.

Prying open a window is a pretty quiet event generally. You just
slowly apply pressure until the latch(es) give or pull out. A minute
or two tops. Practically all houses have windows that are in much
better location for breaking in than the front door.