Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing latex paint mess

A month or so ago, I painted my bathroom with semi-gloss latex paint.
On one wall, I noticed some thick, drippy paint after it'd been drying
for a while and foolishly tried to wipe it off so I could repaint. I
ended up with a lumpy, textured mess. My experience says that trying
to sand it down warms the paint and clogs the sandpaper. It seems too
big an area to strip with Goof Off or something. I'm looking for
advice on smoothing out the messy paint so I can put a fresh, smooth
coat on. Any suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Christopher Nelson wrote:
A month or so ago, I painted my bathroom with semi-gloss latex paint.
On one wall, I noticed some thick, drippy paint after it'd been drying
for a while and foolishly tried to wipe it off so I could repaint. I
ended up with a lumpy, textured mess. My experience says that trying
to sand it down warms the paint and clogs the sandpaper. It seems too
big an area to strip with Goof Off or something. I'm looking for
advice on smoothing out the messy paint so I can put a fresh, smooth
coat on. Any suggestions?

A good quality paint scraper. I have one with a replaceable carbide blade that
works great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 09:11:44 -0800 (PST), Christopher Nelson
wrote:

A month or so ago, I painted my bathroom with semi-gloss latex paint.
On one wall, I noticed some thick, drippy paint after it'd been drying
for a while and foolishly tried to wipe it off so I could repaint. I
ended up with a lumpy, textured mess. My experience says that trying
to sand it down warms the paint and clogs the sandpaper. It seems too
big an area to strip with Goof Off or something. I'm looking for
advice on smoothing out the messy paint so I can put a fresh, smooth
coat on. Any suggestions?

Wet sand it to keep it cool when sanding. Or use a "thumb plane" to
shave off the high spots. They are used by automotive refinishers to
remove small runs. Also called a "run razor"

The Veritas Flush Plane from Lee Valley may do the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
A month or so ago, I painted my bathroom with semi-gloss latex paint.
On one wall, I noticed some thick, drippy paint after it'd been drying
for a while and foolishly tried to wipe it off so I could repaint. *I
ended up with a lumpy, textured mess. *My experience says that trying
to sand it down warms the paint and clogs the sandpaper. *It seems too
big an area to strip with Goof Off or something. *I'm looking for
advice on smoothing out the messy paint so I can put a fresh, smooth
coat on. *Any suggestions?

*Wet sand it to keep it cool when sanding. Or use a "thumb plane" to
shave off the high spots. They are used by automotive refinishers to
remove small runs. Also called a "run razor"

The Veritas Flush Plane from Lee Valley may do the job.

You don't say how large an area it actually is. But if it's dried
for a month, I would think starting with coarse good quality sandpaper
and working down would work. What grit are you using?

There are products in the paint stores or HD specifically for removing
latex paint and they work very well. You could try it on a test
aream but sanding would be my method of choice. The thing I'd be
concerned about is those products are made for removing latex paint
from cabinets, floor, cars, etc. If you have several coats of paint,
or some non-latex underneath, I don't know what it will leave. It
might loosen what's underneath and make an even bigger problem unless
it all comes off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
A month or so ago, I painted my bathroom with semi-gloss latex paint.
On one wall, I noticed some thick, drippy paint after it'd been drying
for a while and foolishly tried to wipe it off so I could repaint. I
ended up with a lumpy, textured mess. My experience says that trying
to sand it down warms the paint and clogs the sandpaper. It seems too
big an area to strip with Goof Off or something. I'm looking for
advice on smoothing out the messy paint so I can put a fresh, smooth
coat on. Any suggestions?

Anyone use a heat gun to soften, then a sharp putty knife blade scraper,
but not a razor? I have two one inch wide putty knives that are very old,
and are very sharp. I have done some things that amazed me where they have
scraped off some things flush that I was fearful of gouging. I turn the
angle side down, and try to use the putty knife with the slight bevel flat
on the surface to be scraped. Slow and easy and get it sharp and straight.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A month or so ago, I painted my bathroom with semi-gloss latex paint.
On one wall, I noticed some thick, drippy paint after it'd been drying
for a while and foolishly tried to wipe it off so I could repaint. I
ended up with a lumpy, textured mess. My experience says that trying
to sand it down warms the paint and clogs the sandpaper. It seems too
big an area to strip with Goof Off or something. I'm looking for
advice on smoothing out the messy paint so I can put a fresh, smooth
coat on. Any suggestions?

Wet sand it to keep it cool when sanding. Or use a "thumb plane" to
shave off the high spots. They are used by automotive refinishers to
remove small runs. Also called a "run razor"

The Veritas Flush Plane from Lee Valley may do the job.

Nice looking tool, similar to my sharp thin putty knife, but with much more
control.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I used a radiant heater to soften paint on the exterior of my house, then
scraped with a putty knife or beveled paint scraper. That easily removes the
paint down to the wood wherever there are several coats. It doesn't work so well
on a single coat of paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

A month or so ago, I painted my bathroom with semi-gloss latex paint.
On one wall, I noticed some thick, drippy paint after it'd been drying
for a while and foolishly tried to wipe it off so I could repaint. I
ended up with a lumpy, textured mess. My experience says that trying
to sand it down warms the paint and clogs the sandpaper. It seems too
big an area to strip with Goof Off or something. I'm looking for
advice on smoothing out the messy paint so I can put a fresh, smooth
coat on. Any suggestions?

I've had good luck sanding as much a possible then skim coating with
drywall compound, sanding out, spot priming and painting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 9:43*am, DFBonnett wrote:

I've had good luck sanding as much a possible then skim coating with
drywall compound, sanding out, spot priming and painting.

+1...

If you fubar a paint job: sanding it to remove the major bumps
and lumps, then using joint compound to smooth and feather
the edges and more sanding before priming and repainting is
the only real way to fix your boo boo...

~~ Evan