Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing latex paint mess

On Nov 20, 12:43*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 09:11:44 -0800 (PST), Christopher Nelson

wrote:
A month or so ago, I painted my bathroom with semi-gloss latex paint.
On one wall, I noticed some thick, drippy paint after it'd been drying
for a while and foolishly tried to wipe it off so I could repaint. *I
ended up with a lumpy, textured mess. *My experience says that trying
to sand it down warms the paint and clogs the sandpaper. *It seems too
big an area to strip with Goof Off or something. *I'm looking for
advice on smoothing out the messy paint so I can put a fresh, smooth
coat on. *Any suggestions?

*Wet sand it to keep it cool when sanding. Or use a "thumb plane" to
shave off the high spots. They are used by automotive refinishers to
remove small runs. Also called a "run razor"

The Veritas Flush Plane from Lee Valley may do the job.

You don't say how large an area it actually is. But if it's dried
for a month, I would think starting with coarse good quality sandpaper
and working down would work. What grit are you using?

There are products in the paint stores or HD specifically for removing
latex paint and they work very well. You could try it on a test
aream but sanding would be my method of choice. The thing I'd be
concerned about is those products are made for removing latex paint
from cabinets, floor, cars, etc. If you have several coats of paint,
or some non-latex underneath, I don't know what it will leave. It
might loosen what's underneath and make an even bigger problem unless
it all comes off.