Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Fixing latex paint mess

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
A month or so ago, I painted my bathroom with semi-gloss latex paint.
On one wall, I noticed some thick, drippy paint after it'd been drying
for a while and foolishly tried to wipe it off so I could repaint. I
ended up with a lumpy, textured mess. My experience says that trying
to sand it down warms the paint and clogs the sandpaper. It seems too
big an area to strip with Goof Off or something. I'm looking for
advice on smoothing out the messy paint so I can put a fresh, smooth
coat on. Any suggestions?

Anyone use a heat gun to soften, then a sharp putty knife blade scraper,
but not a razor? I have two one inch wide putty knives that are very old,
and are very sharp. I have done some things that amazed me where they have
scraped off some things flush that I was fearful of gouging. I turn the
angle side down, and try to use the putty knife with the slight bevel flat
on the surface to be scraped. Slow and easy and get it sharp and straight.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.