Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Drills

We have a Ryobi electric drill. The case says 12.0 .... anyway it's
about 8 years old I think. It is the kind with a rechargeable
battery....and it works o.k. for most things. One thing I have never
been able to do is drill holes in concrete. I want to put up a hose
hanger -- and the drill won't do it. My question is -- should this
drill work on concrete? Am I doing something wrong -- it doesn't
sound like it's fully charged -- but I'm not sure that is the reason.
Any suggestions before I ask someone down the street to do the holes
for me? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
We have a Ryobi electric drill. The case says 12.0 .... anyway it's
about 8 years old I think. It is the kind with a rechargeable
battery....and it works o.k. for most things. One thing I have never
been able to do is drill holes in concrete. I want to put up a hose
hanger -- and the drill won't do it. My question is -- should this
drill work on concrete? Am I doing something wrong -- it doesn't
sound like it's fully charged -- but I'm not sure that is the reason.
Any suggestions before I ask someone down the street to do the holes
for me? Thanks.

You're way better off using a hammer drill and of course a masonry bit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 17, 3:59*pm, Dottie wrote:
We have a Ryobi electric drill. The case says 12.0 .... anyway it's
about 8 years old I think. *It is the kind with a rechargeable
battery....and it works o.k. for most things. *One thing I have never
been able to do is drill holes in concrete. *I want to put up a hose
hanger -- and the drill won't do *it. * My question is -- should this
drill work on concrete? *Am I doing something wrong -- it doesn't
sound like it's fully charged -- but I'm not sure that is the reason.
Any suggestions before I ask someone down the street to do the holes
for me? *Thanks.

Are you using a concrete bit, it should work but slower than a hammer
drill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 13:59:46 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote Re Electric Drills:

My question is -- should this
drill work on concrete? Am I doing something wrong

No. Concrete is way beyond a 12V rechargeable drill, unless you go
very slowly and recharge several times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re Electric Drills:

My question is -- should this
drill work on concrete? *Am I doing something wrong

No. Concrete is way beyond a 12V rechargeable drill, unless you go
very slowly and recharge several times.

Thank you. I was pretty sure the drill just wasn't powerful enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
We have a Ryobi electric drill. The case says 12.0 .... anyway it's
about 8 years old I think. It is the kind with a rechargeable
battery....and it works o.k. for most things. One thing I have never
been able to do is drill holes in concrete. I want to put up a hose
hanger -- and the drill won't do it. My question is -- should this
drill work on concrete? Am I doing something wrong -- it doesn't
sound like it's fully charged -- but I'm not sure that is the reason.
Any suggestions before I ask someone down the street to do the holes
for me? Thanks.

Others already told you that it is not up to concrete work. You also
mention it does not sound fully charged. Given the 8 years it has been
around, some of the cells may have died and will not hold a charge; a common
malady. Either buy a new battery or have the old one rebuilt by someone
like www.primecell.com and it will be better than new.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2010 4:59 PM, Dottie wrote:
We have a Ryobi electric drill. The case says 12.0 .... anyway it's
about 8 years old I think. It is the kind with a rechargeable
battery....and it works o.k. for most things. One thing I have never
been able to do is drill holes in concrete. I want to put up a hose
hanger -- and the drill won't do it. My question is -- should this
drill work on concrete? Am I doing something wrong -- it doesn't
sound like it's fully charged -- but I'm not sure that is the reason.
Any suggestions before I ask someone down the street to do the holes
for me? Thanks.

Get yourself an inexpensive star bit for a couple dollars. You buy the
size you need for the holes. Simply hammer on it and it will easily
break through concrete, a bit tougher when you hit stones, but still
easier than a masonry bit in a little drill without the hammer option.

Hard to find a picture of one due to so many people calling "Torx" bits
"Star" bits, which they are not.

Here is a poor picture of a star bit that you simply hammer on:

http://www.ngkmetals.com/image/store...arDrillBit.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Miklos wrote:

[...]

Of course, if your concrete is 50 yrs. old, you can hammer on that thing
all day and remove about 1/64" of material. BTDT.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 18, 12:47*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Tony Miklos wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the picture. I will look tomorrow at Home Depot. I had
thought about going ahead and buying a new drill - just hated to spend
that much so I could drill a few holes. It's not something I need
very often. The house was built in 1983 - it's stucco over concrete
block. And I actually need to hang several of those hose hangers.

Dottie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:20:50 -0800 (PST), Dottie
wrote:

On Nov 18, 12:47Â*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Â*Tony Miklos wrote:

On 11/17/2010 4:59 PM, Dottie wrote:
We have a Ryobi electric drill. The case says 12.0 .... anyway it's
about 8 years old I think. Â*It is the kind with a rechargeable
battery....and it works o.k. for most things. Â*One thing I have never
been able to do is drill holes in concrete. Â*I want to put up a hose
hanger -- and the drill won't do Â*it. Â* My question is -- should this
drill work on concrete? Â*Am I doing something wrong -- it doesn't
sound like it's fully charged -- but I'm not sure that is the reason.
Any suggestions before I ask someone down the street to do the holes
for me? Â*Thanks.

Get yourself an inexpensive star bit for a couple dollars. Â*You buy the
size you need for the holes. Â*Simply hammer on it and it will easily
break through concrete, a bit tougher when you hit stones, but still
easier than a masonry bit in a little drill without the hammer option.

Hard to find a picture of one due to so many people calling "Torx" bits
"Star" bits, which they are not.

Here is a poor picture of a star bit that you simply hammer on:

http://www.ngkmetals.com/image/store...arDrillBit.jpg

Of course, if your concrete is 50 yrs. old, you can hammer on that thing
all day and remove about 1/64" of material. BTDT.

Thank you for the picture. I will look tomorrow at Home Depot. I had
thought about going ahead and buying a new drill - just hated to spend
that much so I could drill a few holes. It's not something I need
very often. The house was built in 1983 - it's stucco over concrete
block. And I actually need to hang several of those hose hangers.

Dottie

You don't want to drill through block or brick if you can avoid it.
Drill through the mortar joint.
Might have to measure to find the joint.
I wouldn't pound on stucco with a star drill.

No experience with stucco, but you should be able to get through that
and mortar easily with your drill and a masonry bit.
But if your drill is shot, you don't need to spend a lot on a drill
for that if you go electric.
I have this. Tossed about 4 cordless drills/drivers because of bad
batteries. No comparison to the battery junk I had.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...block Type=G1
You can find cheaper. But that's a good one.
You'll use it for other things.
Since I'm leery of getting zapped outside using 120v I usually stand
on a rubber car mat or piece of plywood.
Always do in damp or wet dirt.

Look at HD for a package with a masonry bit and plugs/screws to fit.
1/4" or 5/16" bit should do.
Like this
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
But make sure it's a masonry bit. Think I got a pack with a 5/16"
masonry bit when I hung a hose reel on my brick wall.
Or just buy a bit and plugs separately.
I don't how thick or strong stucco is, so you judge how long the
screws should be.

The hose carrier holes didn't line up with the mortar joints when I
hung it, so I put 1"x"4 wood strips on the wall, then screwed the reel
assembly to those.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard of an electrical wizzard, who refers to plus and minus
screw drivers. Where we would say phillips, and slotted.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message

Hard to find a picture of one due to so many people calling "Torx"
bits
"Star" bits, which they are not.

Here is a poor picture of a star bit that you simply hammer on:

http://www.ngkmetals.com/image/store...arDrillBit.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Under twenty bucks, at HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...ill-94436.html

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dottie"
wrote in message

Thank you for the picture. I will look tomorrow at Home Depot. I had
thought about going ahead and buying a new drill - just hated to spend
that much so I could drill a few holes. It's not something I need
very often. The house was built in 1983 - it's stucco over concrete
block. And I actually need to hang several of those hose hangers.

Dottie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Angels we have heard on high
Telling us go out and buy!
(Tom Lehrer)

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dottie" wrote in message

Thank you. I was afraid I would have to buy an expensive drill --- I
have Bookmarked those two web sites and tomorrow I may buy myself an
early Christmas present.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Drills & TAPCONS

Need a 1/2 hammer drill and mason bit for concrete. The combo will go
through most concrete and mortar like butter.

Why is it that when I try to (hammer) drill a series of 6-8 holes in my
basement floor slab to use TAPCONS (for 1 1/4" concrete penetration) to
anchor a bottom plate, HALF of them will only go down about 1/2" and then
thats it.. no further. I 've even moved the bit 1"-2" side to side and
started new holes but no luck..

Am I hitting ROCKS in the concrete mix or maybe REBAR ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message

Need a 1/2 hammer drill and mason bit for concrete. The combo will go
through most concrete and mortar like butter.

Why is it that when I try to (hammer) drill a series of 6-8 holes in my
basement floor slab to use TAPCONS (for 1 1/4" concrete penetration) to
anchor a bottom plate, HALF of them will only go down about 1/2" and then
thats it.. no further. I 've even moved the bit 1"-2" side to side and
started new holes but no luck..

Am I hitting ROCKS in the concrete mix or maybe REBAR ?

How old is the concrete? Is it possible there's a much newer layer over an
older one?

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2010 12:47 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
In ,
Tony wrote:

[...]

The first time I ever used a star bit was on old concrete, early 50's
I'd guess. The concrete with a non hammer drill ruined all my masonry
bits and the star bit worked much much better. And no I didn't overheat
them either. Sure a hammer drill is better, but in my experience, a
star bit works a lot better than a masonry bit in a regular drill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2010 5:24 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 13:20:50 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Nov 18, 12:47 pm, Smitty wrote:
In ,

[...]

Gotta agree there, could make a mess out of the stucco.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 11:54*am, wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:10:00 -0800, "Rudy" wrote:

Need a 1/2 hammer drill and mason bit for concrete. The combo will go
through most concrete and mortar like butter.

Why is it that when I try to (hammer) drill a series of *6-8 holes in my
basement floor slab to use TAPCONS *(for 1 1/4" concrete penetration) to
anchor a bottom plate, HALF of them will only go down about 1/2" and then
thats it.. *no further. *I 've even moved the bit 1"-2" side to side and
started *new holes but no luck..

Am I hitting ROCKS in the concrete mix or maybe REBAR ?

Drill the hole deeper than the screw and blow out the dust with canned
air or your compressor if you have one. A screw gun works better than
manually running them in. Once they stop, it is hard to get them going
again.

I bought a Craftsman electric drill today and went to Lowe's (next
door) for the drill bit. The star drill bit was very small and
fragile -- and I couldn't see using it for what I wanted. I bought a
masonry drill bit. I was able to drill the hole I needed and to
enlarge the old hole where the old hose hangar had been. So it's up
there. Of course the drill came without any drill bits -- I was going
to use the ones left over from the old drill that we used to have but
I decided it will be a whole lot easier to just go back and buy a
small pouch full of drill bits and start over. I cannot tell exactly
what size the old ones are.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2010 3:46 PM Dottie spake thus:

I bought a Craftsman electric drill today and went to Lowe's (next
door) for the drill bit. [...] Of course the drill came without any
drill bits -- I was going to use the ones left over from the old
drill that we used to have but I decided it will be a whole lot
easier to just go back and buy a small pouch full of drill bits and
start over. I cannot tell exactly what size the old ones are.

Tip: Don't just throw drill bits in a pouch and then have to hunt for
the right size later: treat yourself to a proper drill index, a case for
bits that holds them and identifies them so it's easy to pull the one
you want. Not expensive (I prefer the metal ones, but they're getting
hard to find--everything's cheap plastic these days).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 19, 5:46*pm, Dottie wrote:
On Nov 19, 11:54*am, wrote:

[...]

what size the old ones are.- Hide quoted text -

Glad to hear that things worked out for you. This is a good group to
read, you can learn a lot just lurking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote SNIP
Why is it that when I try to (hammer) drill a series of 6-8 holes in my
basement floor slab to use TAPCONS (for 1 1/4" concrete penetration) to
anchor a bottom plate, HALF of them will only go down about 1/2" and then
thats it.. no further. I 've even moved the bit 1"-2" side to side and
started new holes but no luck..

Am I hitting ROCKS in the concrete mix or maybe REBAR ?

Drill the hole deeper than the screw and blow out the dust with canned
air or your compressor if you have one.

I'd love to do that except as my Q above states..The drilling STOPS about
1/2" down..
THATS the problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

No "layers" Its 5 yrs old, poured all at once, about 4-5" thick

Well, *something's* different about the layers. Are you using the throwaway
bits that often accompany the package of Tapcons? I know people who say the
Tapcon bits are junk compared to the much more expensive Bosch bits. What
diameter are you using? Do you have any different sized bits? Have you
considered using the .22 powered ramset fasteners? Since you know something
about the initial pour, do you know the composition of the mix? Have you
tried irrigating the troublesome holes with water to cool the bit and clear
away the dust?

My best advice would be to get a different bit and use the slowest speed
possible while keeping a stream of water, even if only from a squirt bottle,
on the drill bit.

HTH

--
Bobby G.

"Rudy" wrote in message

Need a 1/2 hammer drill and mason bit for concrete. The combo will go
through most concrete and mortar like butter.

Why is it that when I try to (hammer) drill a series of 6-8 holes in

my
basement floor slab to use TAPCONS (for 1 1/4" concrete penetration)

anchor a bottom plate, HALF of them will only go down about 1/2" and

then
thats it.. no further. I 've even moved the bit 1"-2" side to side

and
started new holes but no luck..

Am I hitting ROCKS in the concrete mix or maybe REBAR ?

How old is the concrete? Is it possible there's a much newer layer over
an
older one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 08:54:43 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

No "layers" Its 5 yrs old, poured all at once, about 4-5" thick

Well, *something's* different about the layers. Are you using the throwaway
bits that often accompany the package of Tapcons? I know people who say the
Tapcon bits are junk compared to the much more expensive Bosch bits. What
diameter are you using? Do you have any different sized bits? Have you
considered using the .22 powered ramset fasteners? Since you know something
about the initial pour, do you know the composition of the mix? Have you
tried irrigating the troublesome holes with water to cool the bit and clear
away the dust?

My best advice would be to get a different bit and use the slowest speed
possible while keeping a stream of water, even if only from a squirt bottle,
on the drill bit.

HTH

All good ideas. I had a similar bad experience with TAPCON bits on my
poured foundation wall.
Thinks that's when I bought my hammer drill.
Some concrete is *really* hard to get through.
I decided then that if I did it often I'd buy a ramset, although those
aren't foolproof either for stuff that shatters.
My foundation wall is so hard I expect a ramset would have cratered
it.
I've decided not to hang anything else on it.
For the sole plate the OP is doing I recommend just getting a couple
good holes drilled per 8 foot plate and gluing it down.
If there's wrestling matches going on down there the wrestlers will go
through the wall before they knock the sole plate loose.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2010 11:10 PM, Rudy wrote:
Need a 1/2 hammer drill and mason bit for concrete. The combo will go
through most concrete and mortar like butter.

Why is it that when I try to (hammer) drill a series of 6-8 holes in my
basement floor slab to use TAPCONS (for 1 1/4" concrete penetration) to
anchor a bottom plate, HALF of them will only go down about 1/2" and then
thats it.. no further. I 've even moved the bit 1"-2" side to side and
started new holes but no luck..

Am I hitting ROCKS in the concrete mix or maybe REBAR ?

I saw the title of your post and all sorts of bizarre things went
through my warped mind before I looked more closely. I will never
learn to stop reading with my peripheral vision. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, *something's* different about the layers..

The thing is, I CAN drill a 1.5" deep hole in several places beneath the
sole plate area, but a foot over "that way" or "this way", no luck..3 tries
get me three holes only 1/2" deep..then a foot over there, back down to 1.5"
again with the SAME TAPCON supplied bit.

I know people who say the Tapcon bits are junk compared to the much more

expensive Bosch bits.

THEN I tried a BOSCH bit..same dia..same thing..Cant drill in the 1/2" deep
holes either.

What diameter are you using?

the size specified for those particular TAPCONS

Do you have any different sized bits? Yes but they wont work with the
SIZE SPECIFIC TAPCONS I have.

Since you know something about the initial pour, do you know the
composition of the mix?

2500 -3000 lb standard FLOOR concrete

Have you tried irrigating the troublesome holes with water to cool the bit
and clear
away the dust?

I blow the dust out..havent tried water but what I'm concerned with is WHY I
can drill 6 holes fine and CAN'T drive 6 others in the same area.

As I said, I must be hitting aggregate/stone or rebar ^@!#@#!#@1!

Its "borrow the RAMSET gun" next I guess

Posted to alt.home.repair

..
Is this a hammer drill ..yep

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rudy" wrote in message
.
Is this a hammer drill ..yep

I used to be a steel erection contractor, installing and fixing lots of
gates and fences. With a 1/4" or larger hole, you can put a star bit in
there, and whack it a few times, and it will either break the rock, or the
ding will tell you if it is steel.

Not so with the smaller TapCon holes. For that, I used the small cold
rolled steel rod that comes in a Bommer spring for tensioning that spring.
About three inches long. They won't bend, but will snap. Grind it down to
a point, and use it to break up the rock that won't let you pass. As I
said, you will get a definite ping if you have hit rebar. Not sure where
you can get these pins without buying a whole Bommer spring assembly, but
surely, there is something you have that is small enough and tough enough so
you can make an icepick probe. Don't drive it in there, because you want to
get it back out. Use a pair of visegrip pliers to extract.

Yer welcome.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/21/2010 2:52 PM, Rudy wrote:

As I said, I must be hitting aggregate/stone or rebar ^@!#@#!#@1!

Stick a cut nail or other hardened nail in the hole and see what
happens. Like Steve B said, hitting rebar you will hear a ping, that's
a bitch because the concrete around it will dull a metal steel bit. If
it's a stone, there is a chance the cut nail will go in and hold. Hit
it with a 2 or 3 pound hammer. (wear safety goggles, those suckers can
fly) My last house with a poured foundation had stone in it that was
hard as all hell. It's not always easy but you can get a cut nail in
there if it isn't hitting rebar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be one or the other. Sadly, not many people have X-ray vision,
and make house calls. We'd just be guessing.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rudy" wrote in message

Need a 1/2 hammer drill and mason bit for concrete. The combo will
go
through most concrete and mortar like butter.

Why is it that when I try to (hammer) drill a series of 6-8 holes in
my
basement floor slab to use TAPCONS (for 1 1/4" concrete penetration)
anchor a bottom plate, HALF of them will only go down about 1/2" and
then
thats it.. no further. I 've even moved the bit 1"-2" side to side
and
started new holes but no luck..

Am I hitting ROCKS in the concrete mix or maybe REBAR ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message
On 11/21/2010 2:52 PM, Rudy wrote:

As I said, I must be hitting aggregate/stone or rebar ^@!#@#!#@1!

Stick a cut nail or other hardened nail in the hole and see what happens.
Like Steve B said, hitting rebar you will hear a ping, that's a bitch
because the concrete around it will dull a metal steel bit.

Get a long concrete nail, too. Easy to find.

Steve

SDS drills Frank Erskine UK diy 17 October 27th 06 09:13 PM
how good are electric hammer drills for cutting bolts/nuts? RB Home Repair 9 October 23rd 06 12:54 AM
SDS drills PJK UK diy 42 July 11th 05 02:20 PM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM
attachments to convert electric drills into orbital sanders Abdullah Eyles UK diy 6 September 17th 03 07:28 PM