Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Electric Drills

On Nov 18, 12:47*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Tony Miklos wrote:

On 11/17/2010 4:59 PM, Dottie wrote:
We have a Ryobi electric drill. The case says 12.0 .... anyway it's
about 8 years old I think. *It is the kind with a rechargeable
battery....and it works o.k. for most things. *One thing I have never
been able to do is drill holes in concrete. *I want to put up a hose
hanger -- and the drill won't do *it. * My question is -- should this
drill work on concrete? *Am I doing something wrong -- it doesn't
sound like it's fully charged -- but I'm not sure that is the reason.
Any suggestions before I ask someone down the street to do the holes
for me? *Thanks.

Get yourself an inexpensive star bit for a couple dollars. *You buy the
size you need for the holes. *Simply hammer on it and it will easily
break through concrete, a bit tougher when you hit stones, but still
easier than a masonry bit in a little drill without the hammer option.

Hard to find a picture of one due to so many people calling "Torx" bits
"Star" bits, which they are not.

Here is a poor picture of a star bit that you simply hammer on:

http://www.ngkmetals.com/image/store...arDrillBit.jpg

Of course, if your concrete is 50 yrs. old, you can hammer on that thing
all day and remove about 1/64" of material. BTDT.

Thank you for the picture. I will look tomorrow at Home Depot. I had
thought about going ahead and buying a new drill - just hated to spend
that much so I could drill a few holes. It's not something I need
very often. The house was built in 1983 - it's stucco over concrete
block. And I actually need to hang several of those hose hangers.

Dottie