Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are these reliable?

I saw these things at Home Depot, which look easier to use than wire
nuts, because each wire is inserted separately into its own cavity,
and four wires should be no harder than 2. Do you know of any problem
with them? Their first use may be to carry 200 or 400 watts to
floodlights (or even 800, I have to go check again. That would be 8
separate floodlights**). They're UL approved, but they are so little
(flimsy?) I can't help but wonder. And they don't use a screw to hold
the wires, just a spring, something like back-stab switches and
receptacles.

**He has 8 floodlights installed now and working fine, for more than
10 years. Right now wire-nuts are used. He needs to tap into the
system, and if there were no reason not to, it could end up that two
of these little connectors each ended up carrying 800 watts.

Assorted means either 2 wires, 3, or 4 connected together. Here is a
picture of for 4.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...P_PartNu mber
The picture is 2 or 3 times life-size. The enlarged picture is at
least 3 times.

They're re-usable, and you can get the old wire out by twisting and
pulling, it says, iirc.

This assortment is $4.48, and in good Home Depot fashion, the webpage
doesn't say what is assorted about it, or how many items are included,
or of what size. And doesn't indicate what gauge wire they work with.
The assortment in the store was $1.86 or 1.69, was labeled and
actually contained 4 for 4 wires, 4 for 3 wires, and 2 for 2 wires,
and it was labeled 18-12. It didn't say that was 18 to 12 *gauge*,
but I thought so when I bought them. Nowhere do I see an amp or
wattage rating, only wire size, if that's what 18 - 12 is.

Home Depot continues to be tied for first with Lowes for the worst web
site of a major retailer. (and maybe of any retailer.)

This is about 133 other things made by Ideal that HD sells, mostly
electrician tools;
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...challpar tial

---
Ideal push-in wire connectors, 30-291 10-pack assorted.
774A, 18-12 250D
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2010 10:29 PM, Ricky wrote:
[...]

They're good, I use them all the time. The two hole connector is
wonderful for connecting wires when replacing florescent ballasts.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...ogSearchResult...
[...]

electrician tools;http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...hView?catalogI...

---
Ideal push-in wire connectors, 30-291 10-pack assorted.
774A, 18-12 *250D

I don’t know about these but almost every time I have to take out a
fifty year old receptacle with a
back-stab I have to break it to take the wires out; but then again
I’m sure nobody cares what happens fifty years from now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Those connectors are in the HALO hi-hats. They make hooking up lights
a breeze. Better than trying to wire nut the lights on a ladder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ricky wrote:
[...]

How lazy can you get?

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was thinking they should be "as effective and safe as backstab
outlets". I've also had to break up outlets that wouldn't release.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Molly Brown"
wrote in message

I don't know about these but almost every time I have to take out a
fifty year old receptacle with a
back-stab I have to break it to take the wires out; but then again
I'm sure nobody cares what happens fifty years from now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2010 11:29 PM, Ricky wrote:
[...]

When those connectors first came out, the owner or inventor or someone
from the company posted here about them... almost ten years ago. Most
people gave him a hard time comparing them to regular backstab type
connectors. He said they were much better than the old backstab and
they had a "UL" or some type of listing. He even sent me a few to test
but I'll be damned if I know what happened to them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

If you are replacing ballasts in a businesses (non-residential) you
generally need a disconnect (410.130-G, starting 2005 NEC). An easy
device to do it is:
http://www.wago.us/products/20480.htm
In the HD link I saw that Ideal has them also.

I would be interested how push in connectors are better than receptacle
backstabs. They may be great, but my trust level would not be high if
you run a lot of current through them. One of the Ideal versions can use
#10 wire. (Backstabs are now limited to #14.)

I have more trust for a connector that has a lever lock:
http://www.wago.us/products/2631.htm

If a connector is UL listed you should be able to trust it. But backstab
receptacles are UL listed.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Miklos wrote in
:

[...]

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...gSearchResultV
iew?D=902017&Ntt=902017&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mo
de+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112046%2 04294965097&N=0&Ntk=
[...]

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...View?catalogId
=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&N=0&Ntk=level1&Ntt=IDEAL&Nty=1&D= IDEAL
&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallparti al

---
Ideal push-in wire connectors, 30-291 10-pack assorted.
774A, 18-12 250D

When those connectors first came out, the owner or inventor or someone
from the company posted here about them... almost ten years ago. Most
people gave him a hard time comparing them to regular backstab type
connectors. He said they were much better than the old backstab and
they had a "UL" or some type of listing. He even sent me a few to
test but I'll be damned if I know what happened to them.

I've seen them included in several recent light fixtures purchased at the
Borg.

#10 wire. (Backstabs are now limited to #14.)

I have more trust for a connector that has a lever lock:
http://www.wago.us/products/2631.htm

If a connector is UL listed you should be able to trust it. But backstab
receptacles are UL listed.

I have some of the Wago lever connectors that come with light fixtures.
The connector can act as a disconnect too. I've used them in situations
where I need a test connection or something that can easily be swapped
out. The push on connectors are UL rated and do the job as designed and
I've had no problems with them.

TDD

#10 wire. (Backstabs are now limited to #14.)

I have more trust for a connector that has a lever lock:
http://www.wago.us/products/2631.htm

If a connector is UL listed you should be able to trust it. But backstab
receptacles are UL listed.

I have some of the Wago lever connectors that come with light fixtures.
The connector can act as a disconnect too.

I'll bet they didn't come with a fluorescent fixture.

The point of the NEC required disconnect is to allow replacing ballasts
and otherwise working on a fixture safely. IMHO with a lever connector
you could contact a live bare wire as it is being removed from the
connector and would not meet the intent of the NEC. That may not happen
if the wire is stripped as the manufacturer recommends, but it could
happen if too much insulation is removed. There is a reason at least 2
manufacturers make separable connectors that conform to the code.

I've used them in situations
where I need a test connection or something that can easily be swapped
out.

The push on connectors are UL rated and do the job as designed and
I've had no problems with them.

TDD

As I said, backstab receptacles are UL listed also. I think push on
connectors are relatively new. Would be nice to see the results of field
experience. Probably took some time for backstabs to get a bad
reputation. Most likely lessons have been learned.

--
bud--
Posted to alt.home.repair

You used them to stab someone in the back?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message

He said they were much better than the old backstab and
they had a "UL" or some type of listing. He even sent me a few to
test
but I'll be damned if I know what happened to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ricky" wrote in message
[...]

They were included with some can lights I just installed and already
attached to the fixture so I used them for the first time a few weeks ago.
Sure made the wiring and feed through easy to do. Seemed to work fine and on
a lighting only circuit I am sure they will be fine. Don't know if I would
use them on a 20 amp circuit or not. I would need to do a bit of research
before I did.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just note that they are for solid copper wire only. No stranded (you
can't get it in anyway ... don't ask how I know), and no aluminum. For
hooking up light fixtures, it would be very useful to have one that
take stranded.

Edward
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edward Reid wrote:
Just note that they are for solid copper wire only. No stranded (you
can't get it in anyway ... don't ask how I know), and no aluminum. For
hooking up light fixtures, it would be very useful to have one that
take stranded.

Edward

The Ideal ones in the original post are rated for stranded wi
http://www.idealindustries.com/media/pdfs/products/brochures/p-2854_in-sure_brochure.pdf
(205kB)
For #16 to #12 wire (and #10 wire for another one) the wire can be up to
19 strand (which is probably the max for branch circuit wires). For #18
wire can be up to 7 strand.
(That eliminates extension cord wire).

Wago makes them that also can use stranded wire. #18 probably has to be
solid.

(Backstabs are rated for solid wire only.)

I make no representations, expressed or implied, about the usability of
these products for applications in the real world using either solid or
stranded wire.

--
bud--

New LCD television how reliable john hamilton[_3_] UK diy 192 August 4th 10 02:26 PM
Reliable standalone PIR Mark UK diy 11 January 27th 06 09:06 AM
Reliable Studfinder Kyle Boatright Home Repair 6 February 25th 05 05:29 AM
which A/C SEER is more reliable? [email protected] Home Repair 18 January 20th 05 02:21 PM
How reliable are BES? Set Square UK diy 6 December 14th 04 07:07 PM